Non-Clear Liquid Stage Begins Today

How about Malt o Meal? That is a little different than oatmeal, more creamy, less lumpy. I love my oatmeal, but I can't do the apples, they get stuck. I tried grits, but thought it was like eating wallpaper paste!

How about Malt o Meal? That is a little different than oatmeal, more creamy, less lumpy. I love my oatmeal, but I can't do the apples, they get stuck. I tried grits, but thought it was like eating wallpaper paste!

I know...wallpaper paste is about what I tried to down this morning...make another variety or brand would be smoother and creamier...I don't know if I can stomach that again!! EWWWW!!!

Cathy

Guest cedartown
Okay I'll bite...what are grits???

Cathy

G.R.I.T.S. = Girls raised in the South.

No,really it is ground up corn.White in color.Looks like cornmeal but bigger pieces.You put in hot water.It's a Southern "Thang"

I've never had mine sweet.... I love them with butter and salt with some toast...Nix on the toast for Cathy now! ;) I forget that you can't find Grits everywhere.... I'm on board with you though, I hate oatmeal and can't stomach it.

Hi everyone,

It took everything I had to get through a bowl of Quaker oatmeal apples and cinnamon mixed w/skim milk.

Does any have any other hot cereal suggestions? I would love some!

Thanks Cathy

Good morning Cathy!! Have you tried Cream of Wheat?? It's so yummy with some sugar and butter...

OMG I love grits. The thing to making grits taste good is lots of low fat butter and salt and pepper. You can usually buy quaker instant grits at he grocery store. I am not sure if they even sell them up north though.

Hi Erin,

I am in Canada hon! I wouldn't know where to find grits...and if I recall, I tried them once in South Carolina and didn't really like them.

But thanks for the suggestion...Cathy

That reminds me of a story my husband tells me from when he was in the army. He and some friends went to a restaurant close to the base (in Louisiana,) and the waitress took their orders, this one northern guy said, "I will have one grit." The waitress and everyone else just fell over laughing. My hubby still sniggers over it.

I love the Quaker Weight Control Maple and Brown sugar flavor, I have to add extra water to it so it's really runny or else it gets clogged up in the band!

That's what I had, in apple and cinnamon, I also bought the Maple and Brown Sugar, the consistency was like paste and tasted totally disgusting...I am going to try Shredded Wheat made mushy with warm skim milk and make it has runny as I can.

Cathy

I LOVE Malt-o-meal!

You gotta put butter & sugar in grits to make them good.

You don't need sugar on grits! You must not be from the south. Cheese.. well, cheese is heavenly in grits.

Grits.. grits are ground up, dried hominey.

Hominey is made (or used to be made) by soaking corn in a mild lye solution, rinsing, rinsing, rinsing, rubbing the corn hulls off.

Here is a more professional answer:

The pioneers prepared hominy by soaking the kernels in a weak wood-based lye until the hulls floated to the surface.

Colonists usually kept both a samp mill and an ash hopper near their kitchens. A samp mill was a giant mortar and pestle made from a tree stump and a block of wood, which was hung from a tree branch. The branch acted as a spring. The samp mill was used to crack hard kernels of dried corn into coarse meal. The ash hopper was a V-shaped wooden funnel. Wood ashes were put into the funnel, and then water was run through the funnel to make lye. The lye was then used to soften the corn hulls and create hominy.

An English traveler in 1668 once described hominy as similar to the English dish, "Hasty Pudding." Hasty pudding and hominy were the instant cereal of colonial times.

The word samp fell out of use but the word "hominy" was eventually joined with the word "grits" in the American South. In the rest of America, hominy referred to the whole kernels which were skinned but not ground; in most of the South, "hominy" came to mean the coarsely-ground skinned kernels used to make the dish known as "hominy grits" or plain "grits."

That's what I had, in apple and cinnamon, I also bought the Maple and Brown Sugar, the consistency was like paste and tasted totally disgusting...I am going to try Shredded Wheat made mushy with warm skim milk and make it has runny as I can.

Cathy

Damn, I bought two boxes of the stuff in anticipation. Hehe -- good thing Hubby likes porridge! (me not so much but I was willing to try)

I'm like you Cathy.. I couldn't get myself to eat the "thick" oatmeal. I do have the Maple & Brown Sugar one that Michelle is talking about, maybe I'll try it once more, and add more hot water. Shredded wheat with hot water, milk and brown sugar, should be good as well. I've just been having cold breakfast's. Cottage Cheese, Hard Boiled Eggs, Yogurt with Fruit in it, Crackers and low fat cheese.. toast (really brown) with peanut butter or nutella on it. Try some of these as well.

Cathy- Grits are from hominy- From the net-Usually a breakfast item in the US Southern region. Made from the kernel of corn. When corn has been soaked in lye and the casing has been removed it becomes Hominy. The lye is rinsed out very well and the corn is left to harden. Then the swollen hominy is ground up to the texture of tiny pellets. When boiled with water, milk and butter it becomes a cereal similar to cream of wheat. It's used as a side dish for a good old fashioned Southern breakfast. Sometimes you can make it with cheese and garlic for a casserole.

Tastes (to me) like rice. Some people eat it with butter, salt and pepper (like rice) and some use it like a breakfast cereal with sugar,or syrup on it. It takes longer to cook but I love it. It is an acquired taste.

Why are you stressing over breakfast cereal if you don't like it/had a hard time getting it down. Dr. Ortiz says to try to eat as little as you can to make you not hungry. Don't try to see how much you can get down or hold or how much you can eat before you feel full.

You do not want your pouch stretching at this point. (I was banded on the 10th also)- am still on clears for another 3 days. Then fulls for a week and protein shakes, etc for a week. No solids until 21 days- IF you can't drink it don't eat it!. Again, the way it was explained to me- you want to do everything you can not to stress out the pouch (or stretch out the pouch). To totally let it rest for now. And I know how hard that is- I AM STARVING. I have never been so hungry in my life.

Cathy- am thinking more about you and think (non of my business but here goes) that you had better be really careful. Shredded wheat is hard, stringly, and tough even with soaking and if you read my last post maybe you can hang out a while longer... Dr. Ortiz has a utube video on slipage and you should watch it. I am worried about you. You are only 4 days out!!!

Thanks ladies,

I had some shredded wheat this morning soaked in skim milk and blended to less than oatmeal consistency..I added some sweetener and yum, yum!!

It wasn't stringy or hard by the time I got through with it, so I think it will be okay.

Cathy