Stress and the band

First, a disclaimer. This is not meant to freak anyone out. I just hope that others will read this and keep it in mind when managing stress and your lives.

My band was at a good spot. 2.5cc's in a 4cc band. I have consistently lost 10 to 11 pounds every month since January. I've noticed that my band is always tighter when TOM is near, but adjust meals to accommodate this.

So, every night before going to bed Ive always downed a entire bottle of water cause I'm not a morning person. Thus I have to get outta bed cause I gotta pee so bad :) Ive never had a problem with this... Until Thursday night... I was woke up out of a dead sleep cause I was choking on water shooting out of my mouth and nose. I was so freaked out. I kept thinking, what if I would have been sleeping on my back? Could I have choked to death?? Why did that come back up??? It didn't feel like it was stuck.. On and on.. so many thoughts going through my mind...

Any who, I went to the fill doc on Friday and learned some interesting things.. (for this particular doc) if you are having any issues with liquids going down (or coming back up for that matter) they automatically do a COMPLETE unfill. I cried. I wanted around .50 taken out not everything. They were inquiring about things going on in my life and I told them that it was that TOM and that Thursday night I got into a HUGE fight with my mother.. lots of things were said and many feelings were hurt, mainly mine.

In summary the fill doc said the water up-chuck incident was probably due to all the stress that had happened. My pouch isn't stretched or anything like that but am now on liquids for 7 days to allow swelling (if any) to go away. I don't know what I will do after that.

Please take this as a word to the wise... Find things to help you alleviate the stresses in your life. Maybe even a "stress project" so you have something to do when unexpected stresses pop up.

Amber

Wow, I am so sorry for the troubles you have been having...with your mom and the band. How long will you have to have the un-fill?

I am sorry to hear that you have been stressed. It's scarey how stress affects to body eh?

I have a very stressful life myself, my youngest son is a challenge and causes me a great deal of stress, I guess I am going to have to try some breathing exercises and walk away from it. for awhile. I certainly don't want stress to impede my goal.

Good luck hon!

Cathy

Any who, I went to the fill doc on Friday and learned some interesting things.. (for this particular doc) if you are having any issues with liquids going down (or coming back up for that matter) they automatically do a COMPLETE unfill. I cried. I wanted around .50 taken out not everything. They were inquiring about things going on in my life and I told them that it was that TOM and that Thursday night I got into a HUGE fight with my mother.. lots of things were said and many feelings were hurt, mainly mine.

STRESS DOES PLAY A ROLE WITH MY BAND ALSO. WHEN OUT OF THE BLUE I COULDN'T GET WATER DOWN LAST MONTH, AFTER A YEAR AND A HALF FROM MY LAST FILL, THE ARLINGTON GALS TOOK OUT .4 CC AND LIFES BEEN PERFECT SINCE :)

Its true, it really shows how stress affects our body. It’s amazing that the mind can actually change how our body functions. I’m like Cathy my youngest of my three sons is a challenge. In addition I have a high stress job. I started doing breathing exercise, yoga and learning to let go what I cannot control.

WOW! I just spent a VERY stressful 5 weeks at my mom's as we packed her stuff to move from a 3 bedroom house that she lived in for 30 years to a one room studio apt in the back yard of my brother's house.

My esophogas was stretched.. got a tiny fill... wonder if it was that stress?

I notice that I have problems with my band being too tight when I am stressed. I have talked to a lot of people and this is one of the things that affect the band. I don't think that we can totally avoid stress in our lives, but it does help to be aware of what it does to our body. I exercise to relieve excess stress and it helps a lot.

Wow - I wish I could have found you months ago! 3 weeks post - op when we were able to start eating solids - mine was always getting stuck. Until last week, I really thought it was just the "norm" for me. And yes, at that TOM, Dr. Romero suggested I drink liquids instead as I was obviously going to face PBing and getting stuck for about one week every month.

Well, the other day I scheduled my second fill with Dr. Neals office here in Lacey, WA. They use fluoro and barium, just like OCC, so w/rising airline costs, I thought I would give them a try at $375. I scheduled my appt on Wed, for Friday. All was well until Thursday. I decided to "test" my band and really see if the band was the problem, or me. I ate VERY slow. Like it took me 30 mins or so to eat. I don't make that much time in my day to eat, so this was a big deal for me. My hubby and son moved onto dessert at dinner by the time I finally finished my dinner.

Long story short, I called the center on Friday and talked to one of their coordinators. I told her I PB at least once a day, if not twice, and get food stuck at almost every meal, every day. Duh, she told me not to get the next fill. It would only make things worse. But I had been gaining weight. She told me to eat very slow and not PB or get things stuck for one week before scheduling my next fill as it wouldn't be accurate due to probably swelling. Funny, now that she has said that - I do feel sore sometimes when I eat - like I'm trying to push too big of a bite down a small hole.

I've been doing great the past couple days, and then fast forward to last night...my family is eating dinner and we got going on a conversation about sports. I became very involved - and my food got stuck right away. As in, instantly. The stress I created inside of me by getting all rialed up and defensive about my sports team, created my band to tighten and I couldn't enjoy my dinner. I actually couldn't finish it and I was on the verge of PBing. I knew stress affected me, but didnt' really see the link until last night - that it actually affects my band. It was so obvious now.

So add that to fiscal year end stress at work, stress with my husband, stress with my parents and sister, not to mention, stress about planning my son's birthday party in two weeks - I have enough stress to tighten that darn band shut! No kidding. For three days straight I managed to not get anything stuck, and not PB.

So I couldn't emphasize and agree with you more - stress in general, and stress while eating are terrible for my band.

I'm sorry for your fight with your mother (I did the same with mine about two months ago). I hope things work out for you, ><' and congrats on your weight loss. Our starting weights were 3 pounds apart, so I'm personally thrilled for your success - and hope it will be mine by April next year!! Can't wait!

For me if I get stressed I feel the restriction INSTANTLY, a few days ago I was driving in my car drinking my morning protein shake and taking normal sized sips with no issues and then I got some bad/upsetting news over the phone and the next few sips of the same iced protein shake got me all choked up so I had to take some tiny sips and once things cooled down I was able to drink as I normally do, so very weird!

Gosh I am not even blonde and it took me a while to figure out who/what TOM was :)

P.S. I have no problems with blondes either. I want to be one cuz I hear they have more fun.

Blazn- I'm not sure how long I have to wait to start getting fills again. In the shock of having it all taken out, I forgot to ask.

I guess this will be the true test of my will power and everything I have learned since being banded.

Bless your heart! I hope everything works out for you. ><'

I have had the same experiences.. when I am stressed/upset/angry/sad etc.... I instantly get MORE restriction... last week I was having and argument with my BF and then tried to eat a small salad and after 2 bites I knew that it was gonna come right back up. I really really have to make a conscious effort to take small bites, chew, rest, then take another bite... old habits die hard.. I'm a foodie and eating fast always met that I could eat other stuff sooner.. it's a hard habit to break. I'm sorry to hear abour your experience but thanks to EVERYONE for sharing their experience.

{{{{ HUGS }}}}}

Thanks for explaining who TOM is, I kept re-reading and re-reading thinking I had missed something! LOL!