What's with the GAS?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting into the group. I stumbled onto this site when I was trying to make an appointment for a fill. I'm so thankful to have found a group that understands what I'm going through. I've kept my surgery a secret from those not in my immediate family and don't really have get alot of support. I had my band put in last June '03. I'm 5'2 and weighed 208. A year and a couple of months later I find myself weighing in at 180. Not a signicant amount of loss, but some nonetheless. I know exactly what my problem is too. I don't exercize like I should. Right after I got my band put in I started to see a significant amount of weight loss. Then I was able to eat more and more, I've never had any stomach cramps or pains, I've never even thrown up. I just had a fill done 2 days ago and am on the liquid diet for the next week. I want to do this the right way. I feel like I'm starting over, but I'm going to need some help. Any recommendations on what to drink that will make me feel full? I swear this stuff goes through me like water, ha-ha. Oh yeah, going back to my intro line, WHat is up with the gas? I thought I was the only one going through this situation. Is it because I wait too long to eat in between meals? If anyone has a clue help me out by giving me one. Thanks a bunch!!!

Thats funny you mention the gas..I thought it was just me. I do notice if I wait too long in between meals I get very gassy..

One thing I drank during the liquid phase after a fill was the pre mixed campbells tomato soup, it is in a plastic jar on the soup isle. I also drank shakes from Mcdonalds they were high in calories but were very filling...Or I would take a atkins advantage chocolate protein shake and add a bananna in the blender which also filled me up. Here is another great group that I go to alot which is much more active then this one

www.lapbandtalk.com

the format is very similar to this one

Everyone there is like family, very supportive and the veteran bandsters have lots of knowledge. You have done a great jod so far, nothing to be discouraged about..you have lost weight and thats all that matters. This is not a race but a journey..it took us years to get the way we were so taking it off will take time too..the slower the better is how I see it, less loose skin and less chance of ever regaining it. Keep up the great job!

Hi Veronica,

It's a possibility that becuz of the band air does not flow up and down thru the stomach normally. It now mostly flows downward which helps produce the gas.

If you notice you don't burp as frequently or without as much gusto when you drink alot of liquids..

hope this helps

frequentflyer

Hey Veronica,

I am going for Surgery in a couple of weeks and appreciate your post. Good to be prepared for the gas potential! I have a question if you don't mind me asking, was this most recent fill your first fill? What is your fill level? Just curious. As someone getting ready to have the surgery, I am trying to get all the information I can about it. And a previous reply to your question was right, slow and steady wins the race...you should be proud of any weight loss!

Penny