Braces suck - A sob story (literally)

Yesterday I went to the orthodontist, and she put my bottom braces on. She said my top teeth wouldn't clear the top of the bottom braces, so she put these two little "posts" on the back of my front incisors, causing my front teeth not to knock into the bottoms. What she didn't tell me is that my bottom molars would not meet the top molars.. there was a 1/4 inch gap on both sides between my top and bottom molars. It was IMPOSSIBLE to chew.. IMPOSSIBLE... and, she told me not to worry about that, to just drink protein shakes for the next three months. I was in a state of shock and kept saying, "My surgeon won't go for this," over and over. Before I knew it, I was out the door, stunned. I went to lunch with my daughter in law, ordered salmon, mushed it up with my fork, and tried to work it against my teeth with my tongue. I was so mad/frustrated/hungry that I burst into tears.

I went home and called the clinic, and Dr. Acosta told me no way, that I really had to make a choice. The lap band is forever.. he said if I needed to do liquids for 3 months that I would have to have my band emptied and Dr. Miranda would have to give me a liquid diet to keep me healthy. I thanked him, hung up, and cried.. again. I really stayed upset all night.

I called the orthodontist's office back, and they made an appointment for today at 11:00am. When they called me back, I showed them the eating guidelines for lapband and told them that I HAD to be able to chew. They discussed options.. removing the bottom braces and the little posts. I asked them would we be able to put braces back on the bottom teeth after the uppers had finished moving, and she said no, that my uppers would always knock into the bottom braces. I cried. I asked her how long the damned posts would have to stay on, and today she said SIX months! Six months? Is she absolutely frickin kidding? Then I asked her about retainers or invisalign, and she said my lowers were too tight for either of those to be effective...I cried... She buzzed away some of the bottom part of the little posts, hoping that I would be able to chew if my teeth had less clearance. They had me bite into a piece of string cheese, right where the molars should meet, and there was STILL a clearance of about an 8th of an inch. I cried.. I was resigned to having the bottom ones, on one day, come off so that I could chew.

Finally, she decided to add a "ramp" to both sides of my upper molars to provide a tiny bit of chewing surface for me. I went out, tried salmon again, mashed it up good, and was able to sort of grind it up a little, but I wouldn't call it well chewed. I was able to eat a little bit, though, unlike yesterday.

Now I am in excruciating pain.. feels like my lower molars are grinding into metal. The rest of my bottom teeth are excruciating, and my inside lip is ulcerated, and I STILL don't know if I am going to be able to grind my food up enough to make my band effective. I am trying to console myself that the bottoms will have to come off. I don't know if I can eat like this for 6 months.

I will give it a week or so, but I am so frustrated, feel like it won't work, then have to have my bottom braces removed. My band is more important, but it would be a terrible disappointment, as my teeth are a little bit chipped, and my dentist won't put veneers on until my bite is corrected, as they would chip also.

Well, I am going to have eggs tonight. At least I can mash them against the roof of my mouth.

Anyone have anything similar happen? Any suggestions are welcome.

Oh Paula,

I am so sorry! I am crying there right with you!

When you had your pre-surgery dental check up, did she discuss this with you at all?

I was disappointed in my check up as I know I needed some work done but she just quoted me on cleaning.

I hope your pain subsides and you can find a way to fix your teeth without jeopordising your band.

Yesterday I went to the orthodontist, and she put my bottom braces on. She said my top teeth wouldn't clear the top of the bottom braces, so she put these two little "posts" on the back of my front incisors, causing my front teeth not to knock into

OMG Paula, you really are having a rough time. I'm so sorry to hear about this. It's so deflating. I have nothing to offer but my concern for you. I've never been in that position ever.

Warmest hugs!

Oh Paula, that is just awful, you poor thing! Hugs to you, you need them right now. I have never heard of anything like that.

Oh Paula,

I am so sorry! I am crying there right with you!

When you had your pre-surgery dental check up, did she discuss this with you at all?

I was disappointed in my check up as I know I needed some work done but she just quoted me on cleaning.

I hope your pain subsides and you can find a way to fix your teeth without jeopordising your band.

I didn't have a pre-surgical dental check-up. I go to the orthodontist as often as she prescribes, and I go to my family dentist every 6 months. The orthodontist didn't explain this part, but so much of orthodontia depends on how the teeth move. I think I am going tomorrow and have the bottom braces taken off.. I cannot chew with just two pointy surfaces.

Thank you so much for your concern. I just had to vent.

Oh, paula - how awful!!! My heart is saddened for you. You will be in my prayers. Please keep us posted.

Really, thank you all for your concern and letting me vent.

I tried to eat scrambled eggs tonight, and you just cannot chew on two pointed surfaces, so I am going to go back in tomorrow, and I guess, get them removed. This will be two days with no food but the little stuff that I managed to mouth against my teeth. Frankly, my teeth hurt too much to try for more, anyway. Also, the stress and anxiety from this all is not good for me, or anyone.

I don't think she really expects me to ask her to take the bottom ones off, but she doesn't understand the committment required for the band. If she can come up with another idea, great. Otherwise, I shall have to brow-beat my dentist of 18 years to put the veneers on anyway, or go to a cosmetic dentist who will put veneers on the top and bottom regardless of the bad bite.

I am just so upset over the whole ordeal. It happened so fast, so unexpectedly.. I was just expecting to get the bottom braces.

Sorry I am venting again. Thank you for letting me do it again.

Oh what a nightmare Paula! So sorry to hear that you have to deal with this on top of all the adjustment just with the band!

I wonder if you can get a second opinion from another orthodontist - it seems like there must be another way that they can do the braces without interfering with your bite.

I wish you the best of luck in resolving this issue!

><'

Paula, I hate to hear that. There is nothing more frustrating than teeth problems.

Are your braces for cosmetic reasons? You might be a good candidate for Invisalign. My dentist offers this and I'm considering doing it. Basically they are invisible teeth forms that you put over your teeth. You can't even tell a person is wearing them. Since they match your teeth, you can bite and chew without those awful metal things. You have to be fitted with new ones every couple of weeks or weekly, I can't remember which.

Here's the website http://www.invisalign.com/Pages/Home.aspx hopefully you can get these instead of those metal things.

Feel better!

Jena

Jena,

I am going back today. I am hoping that maybe she can put invisiline on my top teeth.... maybe even if they whack the bottom braces, they will protect the top teeth from chipping.

I looked at the invisiline website, took the little test, and my results said to consult my orthodontist to see if they will work for me... ugh.. not helpful.

Theuse, I will also see if I can find a orthodentist who will give me a second opinion... may be difficult.

I guess my braces are both functional and cosmetic. I have an overbite which causes my front incisors to "click" against each other, causing the tips to chip off. I wanted my dentist to just repair the chipped areas, which she did a couple of times, then, for my son's wedding in November, I asked her for veneers. She said absolutely not until my bite was corrected... otherwise, the veneers would chip against each other. Not thrilled to be getting braces at 53. I have had my upper braces for 6 months, and my top teeth finally moved enough for my bottom braces to be put on. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER did anyone tell me about the posts and the fact that I wouldn't be able to eat solids during that time.

Just think about extending our liquid diet from 35 days, (counting pre-surgery diet,) to 6 months. OMG.. just not possible for me.

We will see what happens today.

I can not believe what your going through. What I can say is I would get a second opinion for sure. Do yourself a favor and get another. Different Doctors have different opinions. I will tell you my daughter has braces and we looked at three doc's and got 3 different courses of treatment. Best Wishes Dawn

I would be mad as hell at a dentist who gave me no kind of forwarning about this. For someone to just slap stuff on your teeth that causes you to be on a liquid diet for 6 months...I think a person has the right to be counseled about this AHEAD of time!! I am so sorry for your terrible situation and hope you have happier news to report to us soon!

First of all... PAULA!! YOU HAVE LOST 40 LBS!!! YIPPIE!!! Thats awesome!! Congrats!

Second of all.. That freakin sucks about your braces!! Here is a couple hugs for ya ><' ><' ><'

I hope everything goes ok for you.. that would be the hardest thing... DANG.. I wish you luck!!