water? what is that?

Yeow.. I am not drinking enough water. I pour a glass of ice water, place it on my end table, then get distracted. When I do remember, I want to gulp it down, and we are only supposed to sip it. Part of the time I forget because of the hour we have to wait after meals, and I have even tried setting the timer. I have been adding Special K packets to make it taste better.

I am noticing it in my cracking lips and dry skin. ugh.. Do I need to fasten the glass to my neck?

I know!!!

I was drinking bottles and bottles of water on my pre-op diet and now, I can barely get a bottle down. I don't want to gulp it because I get gas bubbles in chest...so I sip all day long, but in end I am not drinking nearly enough.

What's a girl to do???

Cathy

I was thinking of getting an IV so I would just have to carry that stand with me :D

j/k ... I'm doing actually pretty good while at work, because I sit at my desk and force myself to sip, sip, sip, sip ...

but comes the weekend - oh boyyyy ! I have such a hard time to get enough down, this is not funny anymore.

I always had a hard time drinking much and on top of that, I hate water and love (what I can't have)

... COKE ZERO :rolleyes:

Sorry can't be of any help :((

Wow.. sounds like we need to form a support group... lol

I've noticed myself having this problem in the last few days. Normally I'm quite the water drinker, ice water that is. I love the special K water too because it's a good source of fiber. But lately, I'm forgetting to get my glass and fill it up! Grrrr.

Maybe it's the summer solstice that's coming up tomorrow.

I am so glad that Paula Bee posted this because I am having the same trouble too! Before I got my second fill I would drink water to stop the hunger pains, now I have to sip, sip, sip all day. When I just sip like that I forget and I am only drinking like 20 oz of water a day. It has been extremely hot here in CA this past week and I am afraid I will pass out in the street! I don't have a solution, but I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only ones concerned!

I am so glad that Paula Bee posted this because I am having the same trouble too! Before I got my second fill I would drink water to stop the hunger pains, now I have to sip, sip, sip all day. When I just sip like that I forget and I am only drinking like 20 oz of water a day. It has been extremely hot here in CA this past week and I am afraid I will pass out in the street! I don't have a solution, but I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only ones concerned!

I am scared of the sipping part. I slam water all day long. I am already up to 96 ounces and it is only 4:40 in the afternoon. How did ya'll practice sipping? It doesn't come naturally to me at all. :( I did break the straw habit -that was a hard one to break.

I am scared of the sipping part. I slam water all day long. I am already up to 96 ounces and it is only 4:40 in the afternoon. How did ya'll practice sipping? It doesn't come naturally to me at all. :( I did break the straw habit -that was a hard one to break.

I SO know what you mean! I've also had the problem of slamming it back too fast. I've been working at trying to sip it, but I think that's an art form unto itself! It certainly doesn't come naturally to me, so every sip I take has had to be a conscious one.

I, too, had a time of it getting rid of using straws. I'm finally off the straw bit, but it took a little determination and lots of mild hardship. Hope you're able to master the sipping bit. I still hold to the belief that if I try hard enough, that I'll eventually succeed (or I'll burp myself silly trying)!! LOL!!

Talk care.

- Janet

ok, I'm banded 2 months as of Saturday...what is the problem with using a straw? I use a straw because it keeps me from gulping.

Barb

Yep, Jann, I think you are right about the straw/gas problem. It would be a solution for me because I would sip rather than gulp. Tonight I have been setting the timer every hour and getting a glass of water.. in theory..

I am still sitting with a glass half full of water.

At least it is half full rather than half empty.

ok, I'm banded 2 months as of Saturday...what is the problem with using a straw? I use a straw because it keeps me from gulping.

Barb

Hi Barb,

It is because you swallow a lot of air when you use a straw which adds extra gas. We want to keep that to a minimum because it stretches the pouch. The straw always helped me keep from gulping too, and I really am struggling without it. I tend to take a huge drink and then hold it in my mouth and slowly swallow a little at a time. Then I feel like I am going to choke. It is crazy...

Yep, Jann, I think you are right about the straw/gas problem. It would be a solution for me because I would sip rather than gulp. Tonight I have been setting the timer every hour and getting a glass of water.. in theory..

I am still sitting with a glass half full of water.

At least it is half full rather than half empty.

Good for you Paula! Even better that you took concerted steps to remind yourself. YOU ROCK!

I didn't practice sipping or eating slowly or chewing to death. What happened was I got a fill (well 2) and that thing FORCED me to sip, eat slow and chew. It is a big learning curve, but you learn quick. The first time I didn't chew my food right I was convinced I was having a heart attack and dying! I "slimed" which is so gross and spit and finally mercy was placed upon me and I gave it up! So trust me sipping "will come naturally" after restriction!

I had to sip for the first 3 weeks post-op because if I didn't it would just come back up. I'm still scared to drink alot and fast because I keep thinking that it will come back up again.

I don't do good either. I work 12 hour days at a hospital. We are not allowed to have drinks at the nurse's station and are too busy to stay in a break room to drink.....so I don't drink. Before banding the only time I really drank was while eating....well now that's out. So...honestly I probably only take in MAYBE 16oz. per day! I know that is terrible. Sometimes I even get dizzy when I stand up too fast. I know it's those times that I am a little dehydrated which causes orthostatic hypotension. I will work on it....this post has opened my eyes a little! I will set a goal to drink 32 oz. of water tomorrow. I know, I know, I need at least 8 cups of water per day (which is 64 oz.) but I gotta start somewhere!! I will post tomorrow night and let you know how it goes!!

I can see me having the same problem..... I don't drink enough now!!!! :wacko: