Making the Call - Any Advice

Today, only by way of my husband, I will be able to call and begin the journey to have Lap-band. I have looked into this for the last 8 months and after visiting a clinic here in Atlanta only to be told I am an excellent canidate but the costs were so unbelieveable we could not afford it, insurance would not pay and we could not even get approved for that much. So with a saddened heart we left and I saw no light at the end of the tunnel.

Today, my husband who only wants me to be happy and walk normally again, is using his entire annual bonus to send me to the OCC for lap-band surgery. When their office opens (9:00 PST) I will call to get the ball rolling and ask a couple of questions I have. So what I would like to know from those of you who have already made this step is, are there any questions I should ask that maybe I am not aware of. -OR- Any advice or direction that will help me that you wish you had known when you started.

I feel in my heart this is the last resort but the one that WILL work. I will be on these boards daily for support as I know I will need it and hope to become stronger so I can hopefully be of help to someone else. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me and give me any advice you can.

Have a wonderful day everyone and watch the clocks because at noon my time, I will be making that monumental call!

With hope in my heart, :wub:

Donna

Just take a moment to relax. You will be in good hands. Just ask any questions you can think of. Most of my questions got answered on the forum. I had my band place 3 weeks ago. The surgery was much easier than I expected. I would have had the surgery again if I could have bypassed the 3 weeks of liquids. We are here for ya.

Congrats on taking the first step! You won't regret it this time next year when you feel like a new person. ><'

I agree about talking to Lori. She eased my mind in a matter of minutes when I called her.

Just take a moment to relax. You will be in good hands. Just ask any questions you can think of. Most of my questions got answered on the forum. I had my band place 3 weeks ago. The surgery was much easier than I expected. I would have had the surgery again if I could have bypassed the 3 weeks of liquids. We are here for ya.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your kind words. The liquids afterward I am worried about but I have to be strong and stick to it. I have read a lot of the boards this morning and learned a lot from others trial and errors, so I will continue to do that. Thanks!

Today, only by way of my husband, I will be able to call and begin the journey to have Lap-band. I have looked into this for the last 8 months and after visiting a clinic here in Atlanta only to be told I am an excellent canidate but the costs were so unbelieveable we could not afford it, insurance would not pay and we could not even get approved for that much. So with a saddened heart we left and I saw no light at the end of the tunnel.

Today, my husband who only wants me to be happy and walk normally again, is using his entire annual bonus to send me to the OCC for lap-band surgery. When their office opens (9:00 PST) I will call to get the ball rolling and ask a couple of questions I have. So what I would like to know from those of you who have already made this step is, are there any questions I should ask that maybe I am not aware of. -OR- Any advice or direction that will help me that you wish you had known when you started.

I feel in my heart this is the last resort but the one that WILL work. I will be on these boards daily for support as I know I will need it and hope to become stronger so I can hopefully be of help to someone else. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me and give me any advice you can.

Have a wonderful day everyone and watch the clocks because at noon my time, I will be making that monumental call!

With hope in my heart, :wub:

Donna

Read Dr. Ortiz's book, "Lapband For Life" as it is one of the best that I have read on the subject of the lapband. I ordered my copy through Amazon.com. The OCC and staff are great!

Welcome Donna! I too am from Atlanta, well north of Atlanta, I do not know any questions you should ask, I had my surgery here but I too was self pay. This is the best forum for all questions and support. I was banded on 4/18, best thing I have ever done! Time will fly on the liquid stage you will be fine!

Read Dr. Ortiz's book, "Lapband For Life" as it is one of the best that I have read on the subject of the lapband. I ordered my copy through Amazon.com. The OCC and staff are great!

I had ordered Dr. O's book from Amazon but I guess it was out of stock. Took two months to get it and it arrived AFTER I got home. I stopped in at our local Chapters/Inigo book outlet and I found: Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band: Everything You Need to Know Before and After Surgery to Lose Weight Successfully (Paperback) by Robert Sewell (Author), Linda Rohrbough (Author) This book answered every question I had, pre and post, and every question I didn't have. I found it to be an excellent read and comprehensive. I would get both.

Let's hear a rousing cheer for your incredibily supportive hubby! Hip Hip HURRAY!!!!! =D>

Congrats on making this big decision!!! You will find out very quickly that no matter who you talk to at the OCC, Everyone is absolutely amazing! Even if you forget to ask certain questions.. call em again.. They are there to help. This forum will give you most of your answers as well!! We're all excited for you!! GOOD LUCK, and welcome to our group!

Welcome to our forum Donna. Congrats on finding it. I was banded 19 days ago and as each day passes I am more sure about my decision. I found almost all the answers to my questions on this forum. It's good you found it before your surgery date. Just look through past posts and you'll be put at ease. If you don't find it just ask and someone will always answer. That's what is so great about this group.......we're all going through the same thing, in different ways though, but are here for each other.

How did your call go? Did you decide on a date yet?

Hi Donna!

Welcome to this forum. I too am from Atlanta and looked into local doctors for the procedure and then I read Dr. Ortiz's book and decided that if I could have anyone do this surgery, I wanted him to do it because of his experience. It wasn't until I went to his website that I realized how much money I was going to save by going to TJ. So you see, I wanted him to do the surgery even before I knew he would be that much cheaper, that is how wonderful of a doctor he is. You will do great! My only regret is that I did not do this years ago! Best of luck! There alot of us from the Atlanta area on here. :rolleyes:

Hi Donna,

Good for you on your decision and double kudos for your supportive husband. I've been banded for 2 months now and the only regret I've had is in not getting it done sooner. This forum is one of the best for the encouragement you get from your fellow "bandsters". Hey...you gotta learn the lingo if you're gonna get a band!

I'm sure there is an answer somewhere within the topics for every question you have. If you don't want to go looking, just write 'em all down. Everyone has either been there or done that. From going to the OCC by yourself or with a family member, what to bring, what to where, how much liquid is too much and what to do if you can't poop. All the answers are here.

The OCC is such a phenomenal place and the staff are the best. I sometimes still have to ask myself, did I really do this? The entire experience is surreal.

I hope you feel confident enough with all you read here to proceed with your decision to have surgery at the OCC. Trust me you will NOT regret it.

Barb

I had ordered Dr. O's book from Amazon but I guess it was out of stock. Took two months to get it and it arrived AFTER I got home. I stopped in at our local Chapters/Inigo book outlet and I found: Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band: Everything You Need to Know Before and After Surgery to Lose Weight Successfully (Paperback) by Robert Sewell (Author), Linda Rohrbough (Author) This book answered every question I had, pre and post, and every question I didn't have. I found it to be an excellent read and comprehensive. I would get both.

Let's hear a rousing cheer for your incredibily supportive hubby! Hip Hip HURRAY!!!!! =D>

I ordered that one as well. You are right. It is very comprehensive.

Hello Donna, :lb9: and tell your Hubby that he's the best!! ;) That kind of support system is so important right now, tell him we're SO proud!

I think all kinds of questions come to mind when you're in the early stages of getting lap band surgery. Like another bandster said, keep a pad and pen handy and jot down anything that comes to mind. When I started looking into lap band with Dr. O, I spoke to Carolyn and she was so helpful! You'll find that everyone at the OCC is.... I wish I lived out West!!

Feel free to post any concerns on the forum, there are alot of awesome people on here who'll be there for you. I chose not to tell people that I had this done, so this forum is my bandster family. I lean on them alot and they've helped me through some rough struggles! :yes:

Best wishes!! Darlene