medications after surgery - liquid form

Sandy

I've read you have to crush your medicaton or take liquid form after surgery. How long do you have to do this? I am on wellbutrin antidepressant and it specifically says not to crush it. I did a quick google and it doesn't look like I can get it in liquid form. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I am scheduled for July 28th. Yahoo!!

I've read you have to crush your medicaton or take liquid form after surgery. How long do you have to do this? I am on wellbutrin antidepressant and it specifically says not to crush it. I did a quick google and it doesn't look like I can get it in liquid form. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Sandy,

I take pills all the time, I took pain meds, I take Biotin (for hair/metabolism) daily, advil or tylenol capsules for pain or headaches...as long as they are not horsepills..you should be fine.

Good Luck!

Cathy

I took my non-crushable pills the day of and after surgery with no probs. Just go slow and take only 1 at a time with time in between if you have more. There isn't an option with some medication so we must take them how they come, unless they can be stopped shortly but also some meds just can't be stopped for our own health and safety. Ask your Dr. though as I am only and RN and don't pretend to play Dr. (well maybe sometimes!!) ;)

advil or tylenol capsules for pain or headaches...

Hey Cathy,

I've read that with the band we aren't supposed to take any NSAIDs, like advil. I was an advil girl and had to switch to tylenol. Anyway, any of the anti-inflammatory drugs are to be avoided because they are linked to stomach ulcers and with an itsy bitsy pouch it increases the change of problems.

Just an FYI. :D

Thanks

Hi Sandy,

I'm also on an antidepressant which comes in capsule form. Each day, I just pull apart the capsules and wash their contents down with water. According to my doctor, he says this is fine to do. Also, my pharmacist confirmed that doing it this way is quite fine.

My antidepressant is also time released, but according to both my doctor and pharmacist, this is also O.K.

Hope this helps.

- 1jmk

• 5 months later...

1jmk - I am on prozac in the capsule form - is this what you are taking? just curious as well because I don't know if they have it in liquid form.

Hi Sandy,

I'm also on an antidepressant which comes in capsule form. Each day, I just pull apart the capsules and wash their contents down with water. According to my doctor, he says this is fine to do. Also, my pharmacist confirmed that doing it this way is quite fine.

My antidepressant is also time released, but according to both my doctor and pharmacist, this is also O.K.

Hope this helps.

- 1jmk

if you have meds that are extended release, you cannot crush them. If they're small enough, you can take them slowly, however, if they're huge..(like I know prescription motrine is), you'll either have to go to a compounding pharmacy if it's not offered in liquid at a regular pharmacy, or get the children's version and take a double dose. (that's what I do with ibuprofen, and it comes in lost of flavors haha.)

• 2 weeks later...

You should not crush Wellbutrin. Now that it is in generic you can find one that is much smaller than the brand. Hubby used to take it and the generic was much smaller. Other wise, just split it in half with a spliter. That's better than crushing because it maintains the integrety of the time release.

The reason its ok to open a capsule and take the contents is because its the same as swalling it. As long as the beads are crushed the time release remains.