13th day post op and only down 3 pounds!

How can this be? I was gone for 4 days on business and came back expecting to see a big drop on the scale-could flying have made me retain water, or is the stupid measly 500 calories a day of clear liquids too much!!! AARGH! OK, I feel better-anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

Janet

Hi there,

I gained 7 lbs with the swelling and water retention from surgery...after I started creamy soups about a week post op, the weight started to fall again.

Everyone is different when it comes to weight loss between surgery and first fill. My surgeon told me not to expect any weight loss at all, but considering that I have alot of weight to lose and I am barely eating anything, I have lost 11 lbs since surgery. I was stalled for a few days last week, which is also normal, your body needs time to adjust. I started mushy foods yesterday and increased my calories intake a little and the scale has started moving again. Weird eh?

Your body needs food, if you don't eat enough calories, it will stall and go into starvation mode and your body holds on to the lbs. Increase your calories and drink water and things will start moving again.

Good luck...3 lbs is great and gone for good!!!

Cathy

Yes, your weight loss seems normal to me.

Just keep up the good work. And don't weigh daily :)

I am only 9 days post op and have lost 7lbs from my weight at time of surgery. At 4 days I believe I posted the same question about losing weight because I actually weighed 1 pound more than what I did before I had surgery and was completely confused at how that could have happened. Now at day 9 I am averaging about a pound a day lost, and if I don't lose a pound for the day the next day I have usually dropped 2. Now I am a slave to the scale but I weigh myself everyday at the same time and so far it has not yo yo'd up and down, it has remained lower so...so far so good. My surgery weight was 228, I spiked to 235 right after surgery and now I am at 221.

Don't worry you'll be dropping the pounds before you know it...give yourself a few more days.

Erin

Flying always makes me bloat. Especially the longer flights. It's from sitting and not moving around much. Your blood isn't circulating as it normally would and causes water to settle in your hands and feet.

If you have to do long flights, here are my tips. Drink only water and lots of it. No soda, no alcohol. Get up and walk around every 30-60 minutes. Yeah, it's not so easy to walk around on a plane, but get up and walk down to where the flight attendants are and have a little chat with them then go back to your seat. If it's a really long flight, wear compression socks to keep the fluid from settling in your legs.

Now that you're home, drink lots of water, walk around to get your blood circulating. The extra fluid will go away in a day or two and you'll be down a couple of pounds.

Good luck!

Jena

How can this be? I was gone for 4 days on business and came back expecting to see a big drop on the scale-could flying have made me retain water, or is the stupid measly 500 calories a day of clear liquids too much!!! AARGH! OK, I feel better-anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

Janet

There is something known as a whoosh effect. The scale reflects no change for a period of time, you step on it and you are blown away with like a 4 - 6 pound weight loss. Your body has to catch up to all the changes you are putting it through. Wait for it ...

It will show soon. Your body may be in starvation mode. You are doing great..just hang in there!!