Safe in Tijuana?

Hey Y'all!!! I am scheduled for surgery on Thursday, July 3rd at the Obesity Control Center. I have done my homework and am NOT scared about the facility or the Doctors. HOWEVER, I am a country girl raised in Eastern North Carolina, (Johnston County, by God! ) by a preaching/ tobacco farmer and I have never traveled too far from home, let alone out of this country. So, I am a little nervous about Tijuana. I have heard stories of how I could be mugged, shot, and/or arrested in Tijuana if I wear my regular clothes or act like my normal crazy self. There are 4 of us going together and it's not like we'll blend in or anything, we are all naturally blonde and blue-eyed except one; She is red headed and blue-eyed. We are staying in the Lucerna on Wednesday night. What would you recommend us do? I wanted to do a little souvenir shopping while I had time and that way we could introduce ourselves to the area, afterall we arrive there around 6:30pm and will have nothing to do. My brother, (who has never left Johnston County ) has informed me that I was to go straight to the hotel room and not come out. He swears that if I come out after dark there's sure to be trouble.

Some of you with real experience, please give me some idea of the feeling you had there. Were the drivers nice and friendly, did you ever feel afraid when you were away from the clinic?

Thanks!!

Now you're just being silly! You're not headed to rural Mongolia.

You will *literally* be four miles south of San Diego. Plenty of blondes in California, plenty of people in TJ at all times. You will not be in the boonies. Pretend for a tiny minute that you're headed to Myrtle Beach. You'll see the Pacific Ocean from the SD airport. Same attitudes, really. Stay in populated areas, away from mean drunks and have a good time. You won't even need Pesos.

If you're in Restaurant Row, you'll be as safe as you are in Myrtle Beach, even at night. Cab rides are $5 always. Always have a $5 bill in your hand when you hail one and you're fine.

The OCC driver will pick you up at baggage collection and transport you right to the Lucerna. If you want a taxi, it's easy to get one. OCC will pick you up the morning of your surgery, will take your family/friends back to the Lucerna while you spend the night, and will return you there, too.

If its shopping you want to do, get a cab outise the Lucerna tell the driver were to take you and ask him to come back for you at a specific time thats what I did with my mother. He took us and went back fir us at the time agreeded. Good luck on youre surgery its on my birthday B) . Tell everyone hi for me.

If its shopping you want to do, get a cab outise the Lucerna tell the driver were to take you and ask him to come back for you at a specific time thats what I did with my mother. He took us and went back fir us at the time agreeded. Good luck on youre surgery its on my birthday B) . Tell everyone hi for me.

Thank you Denise. Happy Birthday early. That is also my anniversary date w/ my ex, that is why I chose this date. :P

I wouldn't go anywhere at night [but that's my opinion.... and I'm a chicken! :D ] You all will be safe during the day to shop. It's nice you have a group to go with. I've been to TJ twice and never had or seen any trouble either time. I'm comming back next month and am not afraid :unsure: ..... during the day. You'll probably see police driving around while you're there. They ride on the back of pick up trucks, fully armed and dressed in black with masks covering their faces except their eyes :ph34r: They scared us at first, but one of the shop owners told us they were good guys, there for OUR protection.

Enjoy yourself,... no worries! :D Best wishes, Darlene

I have been twice, once for surgery and once for a fill. The first time I went by myself and walked about during the day by myself just fine. The second time I went with a fellow bandster.....we went out at dusk to eat at the cantina....highly recommended...it is about 2 blocks down from lucerna...the huge yellow building. I would stay in at night, but otherwise I never felt scared or unsafe...three of us went to Revolution and did just fine....I am originally from WV and live in Fl now so I understand.......NC doesn't get all of the jokes about them that WV does :) Take care, you will be fine!!!!!!

Funny :) Priceless!!!

Thank you Denise. Happy Birthday early. That is also my anniversary date w/ my ex, that is why I chose this date. :P

Well I am blonde haired blue eyed and have live in SO Cal all my life which includes going to TJ... A Lot!! It is like anywhere else,, good and bad parts of the city.. I just walk like a dude and I highly doubt someone is gonna want to attack my fat ass when I get there tomorrow!! Common sense is the key here.. I don't think they care where you are from anyone can get robbed,, just use your head and I agree I wouldn't go out at night!! I will post in a few days how things went.. I am leaving my bullet proof vest at home though.. :)

I just got back from my 3rd trip there. Took my blonde blue eyed 22 year old neice with me. We were fine, and have been for all 3 trips. Just, don't go out at night and don't get drunk. Make sure to Leave Revolution Avenue no later than 5 ish. Thats when the drunks come out and trouble begins. But it is safe during the day. I have walked all over the place there. From the OCC to the hotel to the mall to the cultural center and back. No problems at all. At the mall, several of the movies are in English so you can go and see them easily.

I did get some good pointers about eating out on Revolution Avenue. There are only 3 places that are safe to eat. Sanboune's, and the cafe right next door to them, and the diner that is downstairs by the tourist information booth. All other places should be avoided. They have no real kitchens and are looking for money only. Don't buy any gold whatsover, it is ALL immitation. Most of the silver is garbage too. They have learned how to copy the proof marks on the silver so you cannot trust any of it.

Most of the water in Tijuana is now safe to drink but if you are still nervous about it, all the places have bottled water. And for those of you who have been there in the past, the Lucerna has installed new shower heads, THEY ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relax, and have a great time. It will be fun!!

I am a country girl from Mississippi and I felt the same fears as you! Like said before, I wouldn't go out at night, but I felt perfectly safe during the day. You will be amazed at how lovely the city of Tijuana really is! It is spectacular! No worries..if this country girl can do it then you can too! ><'

I am a country girl from Mississippi and I felt the same fears as you! Like said before, I wouldn't go out at night, but I felt perfectly safe during the day. You will be amazed at how lovely the city of Tijuana really is! It is spectacular! No worries..if this country girl can do it then you can too! ><'

Damn Kim, you are so pretty in that new picture of yourself!

.. I am leaving my bullet proof vest at home though.. :)

Too darn funny...You really have nothing to worry about expecially in a group of 4. Even being out until dusk or shortly after is fine in groups in the main areas of the touristy traps. Really like someone else said you're not going to Mongolia!!

Just be smart and stay together.

Congratulations of your decision to be banded, you won't regret it at all.

Try to relax and look at this as a mini vacation. Read all the tips for pre-opsters here and ask questions if you don't find the answers

Take care

Damn Kim, you are so pretty in that new picture of yourself!

Thanks Mona! ><'

i think that we are the bread and butter for the Mexicans and they don't want to tarnish the new safer reputation that they have now. the crossing of streets was my biggest fear, but i found that drivers will let you cross. i don't think that the mexicans live in the city, if you stand in the city and look up, you will see homes in the hills all around the little city. it will be an experience that you will go home with and be better for. you are doing the right thing, no one regrets getting banded and you will be taken care of like you are on vaction. OCC is a place of God and Healing, that is a qoute i was told right from the surgeons mouth!!!

have a wonderful time, Barb