Hey guys I am back... sore but back...

First wanted to say Thank you all of thinking of me while I was away!

Good news, I am banded!

Bad news, I have terrible gas and pain at my port site and all around it...

When I walk its really uncomfortable, I feel like I have to hold me stomach at my port site...I feel like it is strecthing or pulling alot... That is my major discomfort and then the KILLER gas that is trapped up my chest, that is making me feel like I am having a heart attack... And when I try to make myself burp it hurts coming up from my chest...Just hope nothing has happened to my band.... Its difficult to take deep breaths too...

I know I am sounding like a whiney baby buy you guys are the one that will understand and give me some good advice....

Surgery went well, Dr. Martinez was amazing! He told me and Celia that we did not have alot of fat around our stomaches so hopefully we wont require too many fills...

The nurses were amazing and such sweethearts! I wanted to take them home with me...

The place was soooo clean I was really blown away... the rooms were awesome... didnt even have that hospital feel to them at all....very comfy...

The friends I met there were great! Celia, and her mom Sandy were my saving grace! Celia spoke spanish and I dont know what I would have done out in town with out her.... THANK YOU CELIA AND SANDY!

The others who were banded with me was Janell from Washington, Zack (15 yrs old) from Connecticut and Lee from Tennessee.

Everyone there was such great people and we all looked after each other which made the trip amazing....

The only thing that I did not like was the traveling back home... I left TJ at 6 m and didnt get home and until after 6 pm... I was worn out and tired by then.... Got home took a shower relaxed sipped on some broth, ate a few fudgeisicles..(we are allowed to have those huh?)

This morning (day 4) I drank a liquid yogurt which was yummy and different from the broths... A girl can only take so much broth ya know... I feel like I am on track to my skinny life!

I will try to type some more on our shopping trip later.... Got to go lay down and cuz my port is getting an attitude with me sitting here at the computer.....

Thank you guys for your prayers and thoughts!

Any advice about this terrible gas I would appreciate it! I am eating phazyme and gas x like candy!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Trina!

Yay!! Welcome to Bandland! I can relate with the gas pains. I had them so bad on the plan ride home that I thought I was gonna pass out. The gas pills didn't help me either. Just tough it out. (It will be worth it) The gas will start to escape and you will feel better.

Get some rest and start watching those pounds drop off. Do you still have my number? Call me if you have any questions. I sit at home with the kids all day.

Glad you made it back safe and sound. The gas pains and port pain will go away with time.

We started out with about the same stats. You will love having the band, If you are like me you

have tried every diet in the book. Can't wait to see your progress. Keep us posted.

Yeay Congrats, WTG. For the gas, If you have to just let it out sister. Theres nothing worst than holding it in. And walk, I did a lot of walking, it hurt but like you said, I would hold on to the port site as it helped alot. Girl the worst is over now its look out here gomes Trina.

Welcome back Trina!!

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like crap. :(

It's amazing how we all have different types of reactions. My sister and I were banded together and we've had very different reactions - she's had bad shoulder and neck pain while I've had none. She was feeling uncomfortable and bloated in her belly and I had more what you have - the tightness in the chest. We both had diarrhea, but mine was much worse.

(Incidentally I finally called the OCC yesterday after 3 days of it and Dr. Martinez called me back within minutes and gave me some advice and I'm at work today for the first time and feeling SO much better - gotta love the OCC with such great care, even on a Sunday!!)

Anyway - the good news is that it WILL pass. I hope you're feeling better soon!

><'

Trina :lb14:

:yahoo: You're now officially one of us bandsters.

Hope you're feeling better today. As the days go by you will feel less and less painful and less gassy. Unfortunately I've found that I still have more gas than I did pre-banding. The good news is it doesn't hurt anymore I just have to spen some time alone every now and then.

Take care sista!!!

Hey Trina! Glad to hear that your back and okay. I know what you mean about the burp that won't come up! I still have that...Feels like a big bubble that I can't get out and when I hiccup it is the same way, very painful. I still have pain around the port site, It feels like pulling...I'm not sure if it is the actual port or if it is just the glue over the incision.

Get some rest girl! Great to have you back!

Glad you're back, even if you are gassy!

I still have pain around the port site, It feels like pulling...I'm not sure if it is the actual port or if it is just the glue over the incision.

I bet it's your port/band and it takes awhile for the discomfort to go away. The glue drove me nuts but do let it come off naturally...with a little help from a soft washcloth very very gently each time you shower. :girl_hospital:

Trina, Try sipping on some hot tea or coffee to soothe the pain, it helped mine. Cold stuff seemed to make mine hurt more, but hot\warm\room temp felt better. We talked about this on other threads.... I think alot of the pain is refered pain. It's actually pain from your stomach, but feels like it's in your shoulder or collar bone area. I also had the discomfort in my port area and found if I cupped my hand over the area while I walked, kind of supporting the area, it helped. When you sit at the computer [or where ever] make sure you sit up as straight as you can. I'm a sloucher and it really aggrevated my gut. You'll feel better soon, I promise!! :yes: Best wishes, Darlene

P.S. You ARE allowed fudgecicles! :D

I am so glad to see you post. I was really worried about you! I am so sorry you are having all those troubles. I wish I was around to help you more. I don't mean to be a pain here, but those bags really were way too heavy for you to be carrying around all day. That might have given you the pulling pain around the port you are experiencing now. I am sure all is fine inside there, but if it doesn't feel a lot better soon, give the OCC a call. Let them know about the heavy bags you were carrying, ok? JUst to be sure. Maybe try some nuprin or alleve for the pain too. I love Alleve, nothing workes better for me.

I am so glad I got to meet you, and the others. We rode back to the airport with Zach and his mom and he seems to be doing just great. Very smart kid there, thats for sure. Did all his own research and took his time with it and figured out how to get his mom on board to go along with it. Great mom there too!!

Zach's mom - I forget your name (I'm sorry) thanks so much for being so 'gracious' with my neice CLaudia. She is quite the handful and very hard to take sometimes. See, when she was 2, she fell out of a window 3 stories high and it damaged her brain. So, she is kind of slow. Not really slow, but I refer her to be like Jerry Springer material. I feel bad saying that, but unfortunately, it is true. But, thank you very much for putting up with her with such grace. You too, Trina for that matter. You only had to suffer a few minutes though, LOL!!

And momoftwins, you doing ok? You seemed to be very good and healing up very nicely! I can't remember the other names - I am so rotten about that, sorry!! Just hope you are all doing ok and healing fast. So great to meet you all!!!

Phazyme is your friend when you are having horrible gas pains. It makes other gas meds (gas-x) look like candy. Get it at any grocery or drugstore.

First wanted to say Thank you all of thinking of me while I was away!

Good news, I am banded!

Bad news, I have terrible gas and pain at my port site and all around it...

When I walk its really uncomfortable, I feel like I have to hold me stomach at my port site...I feel like it is strecthing or pulling alot... That is my major discomfort and then the KILLER gas that is trapped up my chest, that is making me feel like I am having a heart attack... And when I try to make myself burp it hurts coming up from my chest...Just hope nothing has happened to my band.... Its difficult to take deep breaths too...

I know I am sounding like a whiney baby buy you guys are the one that will understand and give me some good advice....

Surgery went well, Dr. Martinez was amazing! He told me and Celia that we did not have alot of fat around our stomaches so hopefully we wont require too many fills...

The nurses were amazing and such sweethearts! I wanted to take them home with me...

The place was soooo clean I was really blown away... the rooms were awesome... didnt even have that hospital feel to them at all....very comfy...

The friends I met there were great! Celia, and her mom Sandy were my saving grace! Celia spoke spanish and I dont know what I would have done out in town with out her.... THANK YOU CELIA AND SANDY!

The others who were banded with me was Janell from Washington, Zack (15 yrs old) from Connecticut and Lee from Tennessee.

Everyone there was such great people and we all looked after each other which made the trip amazing....

The only thing that I did not like was the traveling back home... I left TJ at 6 m and didnt get home and until after 6 pm... I was worn out and tired by then.... Got home took a shower relaxed sipped on some broth, ate a few fudgeisicles..(we are allowed to have those huh?)

This morning (day 4) I drank a liquid yogurt which was yummy and different from the broths... A girl can only take so much broth ya know... I feel like I am on track to my skinny life!

I will try to type some more on our shopping trip later.... Got to go lay down and cuz my port is getting an attitude with me sitting here at the computer.....

Thank you guys for your prayers and thoughts!

Any advice about this terrible gas I would appreciate it! I am eating phazyme and gas x like candy!

Sweetie, it's not time for the liquid yogurt. You have to do the first seven days of broths and clears. The yogurt will just add to your sense of bloatedness. I'm so glad it went well and happy you are back!

Hi Trina,

Welcome back and I'm glad to hear your surgery went well. I had the same pain you are describing (I was banded on 6/12) and the shoulder/neck pain finally is gone as of around 4-5 days ago. I can finally sleep on my left side where the port is located and I've been doing that for about a week.

When you are getting up from a chair, bed, couch from a lying down position, try pressing a pillow on your port site as you rise up. That helped me a ton. I also used my pillow every time I turned over or moved in the bed.

As for the gas pains, walking seemed to help mine subside. Also, the first week at home you are only allowed sugar free popsicles, jello and broth, plus your clear liquids. Good luck with that... it was tough! Hang in there and it will go by really fast. You'll be eating creamy soups before you know it.

Rest, rest, rest,

Denise

Hi Trina,

Congrats and glad you made it home safe and sound.

I hope you feel better soon.

You are probably going to tired and sore for a about a week, take it easy and rest. I can't even imagine travelling for 12 hours after going through surgery.

I had a one hour drive home the same day as my surgery and that was the longest hour of my life!!

Be well..Cathy ><'

Sweetie, it's not time for the liquid yogurt. You have to do the first seven days of broths and clears. The yogurt will just add to your sense of bloatedness. I'm so glad it went well and happy you are back!

Dr. Miranda told me that I could add liquid yogurt starting on day 4. She said to wait until day 7 if possible, but day 4 was fine. I emailed her about my diarrhea (sorry I seem to mention this in every post this week!) and she actually specifically said that I should make sure to eat the liquid yogurt to help replenish the good bacteria in my system.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the warm welcome back!

It feels great to be a "bandsters", I am sure once I get over this terrible gas and bloating (ohh and did I say diarrhea too) YES bad! I will feel a whole lot better....

Hope I am doing this diet right.. I am on day 4 today and so far I have :

2 fudge pops

about 2-3 popsicles

1 1/2 cans of broth

2 little yogurts

1 bottle of special K water

I feel like that is too much for some reason....But yesterday I had a capri sun on the way to the airport and then a tiny cup of broth at the airport in houston, last night I had like 4 fudge pops and 2 popiscles and 1/2 can of broth and of course water...

Does it seem like that is too much to you guys... Should I be drinking more broth and less fudge pops?

Wow, you are doing well.

I could barely get water down. It took all of my power to drink a 1/4 cup of broth and suck on a popcicle.

I am sure I barely got 200 calories per day during the first 5-6 days.

Keep it up and you will recover in no time!

Cathy ><'