Used to look forward to holidays.......

I use to really look forward to holidays.....it usually meant a get together with friends and family, lots and lots of food, a few cocktails (and possibly a few more, depending on the holiday...hehe), and just a general opportunity to cut loose and splurge a bit.

It is different for me now since being banded. This year, as always, the 4th of July is at my house, the destination of choice as safe, sane fireworks happen to be legal in my city. So, I usually go all out planning and preparing for the meal of the day--ribs, tri tip, wings and ALL the fixins, several deserts, appetizers and overall THE WORKS.

This year it was just not the same, every purchase I made was a health conscious one--I thought about the nutritional value in all my food choices and tried to avoid those things that are ridiculously high in fat and calories. I even skipped over the "unneccessary" items and alcohol all together.

I am feeling a little sad and dissapointed --completely mourning food, or the lack of.

I am Filipino for goodness sake, and growing up , food was a huge part of our culture and get togethers!!!

Holidays will never be the same...... <_<

P.S. On the bright side, I dropped another pound today. That is 9 pounds since my last fill, YAH!!

Don't be disappointed or depressed...you can enjoy the holidays in other ways.

You can still have a drink or some good food, just less of it.

This is your new life now sweetie...although the adjustment is getting used to it, you can do it!!

I just got back from a few days away up north at Kawartha Lakes and it was very difficult to chose lunch and dinners at the restaurants, especially because I am still on mushy food stage (canadian diet plan). I chose pasta and soft foods, they were good, I enjoyed them, couldn't eat much, wanted more, but couldn't.

It's psychological, mind over matter!!

Try to enjoy yourself, celebrate yourself and your decision!!

Happy Independence Day!!!

Cathy

I know it a little sad, but overall it is a happy feeling to make such healthy choices for yourself as well as your family. I come from a huge eating family myself so I know how you feel.

Lynn, you can still enjoy yourself. You have learned to make better choices for yourself. If you remember it was some of those big get togethers that help get you to that place were you needed your lap-band! Go out and make the best of it.

Kelly C

Lynn, you can still enjoy yourself. You have learned to make better choices for yourself. If you remember it was some of those big get togethers that help get you to that place were you needed your lap-band! Go out and make the best of it.

Kelly C

You are abosolutely right!! I am still struggling with embracing this, but I soon will. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wonder if "thin" really does taste better than food??? :-?

It is just a matter of making the holiday revolve around the PEOPLE and not the FOOD! You can still have the get togethers and celebrate, but make it about the people that are your guests and not about the food that you are serving. I used to be an avid entertainer and had to restyle my lifestyle to accomodate my health. It is the best thing that I could have done for myself. I try to "miss" the food parts of the celebrations now and it works. I still have the social interractions, but have left out the food portion of it. Be creative!

I understand what you mean lynzz, we're in the middle of changing the way we deal with food. I love food so much and always ate whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted. Now I'm limited to the kinds of foods I eat and the quantity. It's really hard to change our relationships with food, but we have to. I wish I could think of food as an enemy instead of a comfort. :lb20:

I think, for awhile anyway, I'm gonna steer clear of family food functions. Just until I get a good grip on my limits. You did really good today and should be proud!! Isn't it odd how we mourn food?

Lynn you have a double whammy going with quiting smoking and getting banded!! That lady took a lot of strengh and you can get through this. I just started my pre op diet 4 days ago and hope I can make it. Gypsy (Marilyn)

So, why can't you make the same food as before, but try to make it low fat by substituting things. Or to keep your spirits up, make it the same way, but instead of eating huge portions like you would have before, just eat a bite to get the flavor. Let the other family eat the big portions. That is what the french do and they are a skinny lot. They don't deny themselves anything, but they only eat bites, not plate fulls. I know you need to eat healthier in the long run because of the band, but one day to have small bites of your favorite things isn't going to be cheating the band or hurting you. Just jump back on track the next day.

It is just a matter of making the holiday revolve around the PEOPLE and not the FOOD! You can still have the get togethers and celebrate, but make it about the people that are your guests and not about the food that you are serving. I used to be an avid entertainer and had to restyle my lifestyle to accomodate my health. It is the best thing that I could have done for myself. I try to "miss" the food parts of the celebrations now and it works. I still have the social interractions, but have left out the food portion of it. Be creative!

EXACTLY what I was going to say! GMTA!

This technique isn't new to me. Here are a couple of things I do. Instead of preparing all of the food, ask people to bring something. Actually, make up a list of people and what you want them to bring. They always say "What can I bring" so you might as well have something in mind for them. Otherwise you'll end up with 10 green bean casseroles, 20 bags of buns and chips and enough soft drinks to last you all year. haha! Then you be responsible for the meat and any sides that YOU can eat. Have those throw away containers ready and pack up food for everyone to take home so you don't have any problem foods left. Don't be afraid to put open bags of potato chips into zip lock bags and pass them out to the kids. Make a big fruit salad. Don't be surprised if everyone eats your fruit salad. :D

I'm a Southern girl and to us, food is love and feeding people is showing them how much you love them. It's a hard thing to do to even let people bring food!

Finally, instead of planning the food, plan the entertainment for everyone. Don't have a pool? Tell everyone to bring a suit for the kids, get a sprinkler, attach it to the hose and they'll have a blast. Look for a slip n slide! Those things are FUN. (and cheap) You can set up a badminton net and have rackets and shuttle cocks ready for playing. I love croquet and it's a great way to have fun at a family get together. You can't have a get together with my Tennessee family without playing horseshoes! How about a game of half-rubber. Don't know what that is? It's played like base ball but with a broomstick and a hard rubber ball cut in half. Lot's and lots of fun. Even sitting stacks of Trivial Pursuit cards around where people are is fun. People just naturally pick them up and start reading then start asking the questions.

As for the alcohol...go ahead any buy what you would for everyone. Make yourself drinks with Special K protein water Tropical blend with a touch of pineapple juice and a little vodka. Throw in an orange slice and a cherry. Or you could use the lemonaid, add a little fresh lemon juice and slices and a touch of vodka. At least you'll be getting protein and fiber with each drink. :)

Parties are for enjoying each others company and having FUN.

Jena

It all worked out fine. It seems funny, almost like an sober alcoholic not drinking at a party--I never realized that I could still have fun without indulging in all the food!!

As I get more and more of these events under my belt, I think I will get better at changing my focus from food to people. Since I was banded in April, I honestly have tried to avoid parties and such for this very reason.

Thank you ladies for your advice and support!!

Hope you all had as good as day as me.....

Keep up the good work Lynn! Glad that fill is working for ya!

Just think of how much money you saved by not providing alcohol at your July 4th party!

So glad that everything went so well for you and your event. I love your smoke-free ticker. Wow, that is a HUGE accomplishment, and you should be very proud of yourself. :lb24: :lb13: :lb16: :cheerleader: :yahoo:

awwwww shucks.....thanks guys. You are the best!!! ><'

Speaking of saving money, I save soooo much money in food, cigs and Diet Coke now, it is amazing. I never order my own entrees at restaurants anymore, just eat a little off hubby's plate and no cocktails. I told my hubby I am a such a cheap date now and he should consider himself lucky--he kindly reminded me that it would take quite a while to make up the thousands we spent on the band :lb12:

Thanks for posting your true feelings!! It makes me feel not so alone! I haven't even been banded yet but I am sad about the food/drink loss in an odd way. I have lost some weight thru cutting out alcohol completely, dieting and working out. Big events have been HARD for me. I am hoping the band will provide the satiation effect so I don't always feel hungry. I have a hard time sometimes at events getting full on foods I CAN have. Well frankly, I have a hard time getting full, period, lol.

Guess I need the band, lol!!!

I have begun to realize there are alot of emotions around food...especially during celebration times...for me at least.

What you may not realize at this point in your band journey is that when you approach your weight goal, you can start eating somewhat closer to "normal." I hosted the holiday barbecue this past weekend and had all the usual dishes there for the family, even though there are four bandsters among us. We ate pretty much whatever we wanted (except for my daughter, who just had a fill) but in very small portions. Over the weekend I had sour cream lemon pie (sugar-free), cheesecake, ice cream, cookies, barbecued ribs, baked beans, potato salad, etc . . . but in small portions. I don't keep these foods around the house normally and may not have them for another several months, but I could get a taste and everything tasted much better than it used to, because they were treats rather than my usual diet. I still know I can't buy cookies or ice cream and keep them around the house, because I would eat them all. But I can have a cookie and a small scoop of ice cream when I am in the middle of a party, and it doesn't ruin anything.

Snowbird,

That is the way to do it. You can have what you want, but in moderation. I had ribs too, but only one and it took me forever to eat it. I just have a "taste" of what I want and then I am fine with it, otherwise I will obsess about what I can't have. I usually am so proud of myself after "food functions" for what I didn't eat now! Small victories! Sometimes I worry ahead of time, but time takes care of that when you learn to be comfortable around large amounts of food. Just knowing the band is there to do it's job is a relief.

What you may not realize at this point in your band journey is that when you approach your weight goal, you can start eating somewhat closer to "normal." I hosted the holiday barbecue this past weekend and had all the usual dishes there for the family, even though there are four bandsters among us. We ate pretty much whatever we wanted (except for my daughter, who just had a fill) but in very small portions. Over the weekend I had sour cream lemon pie (sugar-free), cheesecake, ice cream, cookies, barbecued ribs, baked beans, potato salad, etc . . . but in small portions. I don't keep these foods around the house normally and may not have them for another several months, but I could get a taste and everything tasted much better than it used to, because they were treats rather than my usual diet. I still know I can't buy cookies or ice cream and keep them around the house, because I would eat them all. But I can have a cookie and a small scoop of ice cream when I am in the middle of a party, and it doesn't ruin anything.

Hurray! That is what I am talking about. Eating what you want but just little portions. Congratulations on nearing your goal Snowbird.

Hurray! That is what I am talking about. Eating what you want but just little portions. Congratulations on nearing your goal Snowbird.

Thanks! And strangely enough, I lost two pounds this past week.

My neighbor went crabbing this weekend and caught more than she could use, so she gave me three Dungeness crabs yesterday. I am sitting here eating fresh crab salad in a lettuce wrap. Missing good food? Not me!

It is great to see you posting Snowbird! I love your posts.

Kim, you're more than halfway to your goal! Congratulations. Your photo looks great.

We are up in Washington now, and I have a really slow internet connection, so I don't post as often. Also, as time goes on I get a little less obsessive-compulsive about this journey, and there are so many others that post answers to questions that often they have already said what I was going to say.

It is an amazing realization that I am at the goal my doctor set for me, and if I never lost another pound I would be fine. Actually, if I lost ONE more pound I am no longer overweight according to the BMI charts--I would be NORMAL!!! Well, at least as far as my weight goes. :P