I just spoke to Fill Centers USA

I was just calling them to get a price and ended up telling her my story. WOW, she was very very nice! She said even if I don't end up going with them for a fill, she wanted my name and number so she could follow up with me. She said even going somewhere else, they still like to help anyone who needs it. That was very impressive.

What she said was, that people with the larger VG band (Yup, thats me) do end up getting more fills more often, because there is more space to fill. She said it was not uncommon to hear those of us with VG bands to have this problem. Being full for a week and then not. She said I was just around half way with my fill (I have 5.8) and could be higher based on their guidlelines. She said, wait a week and when they call me back to follow up, she will have a dietician listen to what I am eating, my fullness factor and them determine if I should get another fill right away.

She also explained how and why they determine whether or not to bother with fluro. First of all, it depends on if they can feel your port through your skin. If they can, then there is no need for fluro because there ARE guidelines to follow when it comes to fill amounts fluro or not. She said you will know if you are too tight based on whether you can drink water right after or not. Also, she said that although it IS possible to poke the tube, it is a very different feel than poking the port and it isn't easy to get the needle into the tube so that is very very rare and not really a concern. She also said that the higher the BMI the more likely they will want to use fluro and I am on the edgeof having to use it. That would make my first initial visit $650.00 plus the cost of gas to drive there. But the cetner is only about an hour away so thats good.

So, I'll wait to hear from them next Monday and go from there. But, it did put my mind at ease to know that this is kind of common with the VG band.

I was just calling them to get a price and ended up telling her my story. WOW, she was very very nice! She said even if I don't end up going with them for a fill, she wanted my name and number so she could follow up with me. She said even going somewhere else, they still like to help anyone who needs it. That was very impressive.

What she said was, that people with the larger VG band (Yup, thats me) do end up getting more fills more often, because there is more space to fill. She said it was not uncommon to hear those of us with VG bands to have this problem. Being full for a week and then not. She said I was just around half way with my fill (I have 5.8) and could be higher based on their guidlelines. She said, wait a week and when they call me back to follow up, she will have a dietician listen to what I am eating, my fullness factor and them determine if I should get another fill right away.

She also explained how and why they determine whether or not to bother with fluro. First of all, it depends on if they can feel your port through your skin. If they can, then there is no need for fluro because there ARE guidelines to follow when it comes to fill amounts fluro or not. She said you will know if you are too tight based on whether you can drink water right after or not. Also, she said that although it IS possible to poke the tube, it is a very different feel than poking the port and it isn't easy to get the needle into the tube so that is very very rare and not really a concern. She also said that the higher the BMI the more likely they will want to use fluro and I am on the edgeof having to use it. That would make my first initial visit $650.00 plus the cost of gas to drive there. But the cetner is only about an hour away so thats good.

So, I'll wait to hear from them next Monday and go from there. But, it did put my mind at ease to know that this is kind of common with the VG band.

That's great news, they seem very nice and are willing to help, which is a real plus!

I hope you don't need it, but if you do, it's close by and that is huge advantage. I am so happy my clinic is only one hour away and with the cost of surgery, all of my fills and f/up visits are included. I can book a fill anytime I need one.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Cathy ;)

Hey Mona,

I use the Fill Center too and I am so happy with them. No matter who I talked to, they are very, very nice and I only can recommend them. Althought the initial visit/fill is maybe on the pricy side ($549), the following visit/fills are less ($285) and it is always with fluoro (would not want to have a fill without).

I too wanted to go back to the OCC for my fills, but the Fill Center is only 40 min. away, which is convenient in case of something shouldn't feel right and at the end it is also less expensive.

Wishing you a good restriction ;)

Mona, What fill center did you speak to? The one in Jersey or NY?

Mona, What fill center did you speak to? The one in Jersey or NY?

I thought I was calling the NJ one, but then she told me she was in Arizona and she was the receptionist for ALL the offices. She would have put me in touch with the NJ location if I had decided to make an appointment. I am still waiting for someone from NYU to call me back because I thought someone said they do fills for Mexico patients for $100.00. Also, someone mentioned a woman on the PA/MD border for $200.00 a fill. Those would be without fluro though. I WANT fluro but I am starting to think that money is going to stand in the way this time.

She has the price range for ALL the fill centers though as it seems they vary.

Hi Mona, my craptastic sister, :lol: I thought your last fill did the trick. I'm looking at your progress to gage my own since I have the VG band as well.

I don't know if you remember, but I set my first fill appointment for August 6th at the OCC because I wanted my first fill there, but darn it, I have no restriction at all and have put on a few pounds. So, I made an appointment for this coming Saturday at Fill Centers USA in Roswell Ga. Apparently the nurse won't do them without floro (which is an extra $200) so I will be having that each time.

I am going to the OCC in August for a second fill.

I'm glad you posted the information about people with the VG band needing more fills. I was wondering about that. It seems logical to me.

Did you know that Dr. Ortiz is one of the folks that got together and started Fill Centers USA?

Jena

Remind me why fluoro is better than without? My surgeons office doesn't use fluoro for fills so I was curious. What does it change?

Thanks! :)

They can see everything with fluro [X-ray] It's eally cool, you can see your band, port and when you swallow the barium, it shows up as it's passing through. There's no guess work on finding your port, it's on the screen.

I thought I was calling the NJ one, but then she told me she was in Arizona and she was the receptionist for ALL the offices. She would have put me in touch with the NJ location if I had decided to make an appointment. I am still waiting for someone from NYU to call me back because I thought someone said they do fills for Mexico patients for $100.00. Also, someone mentioned a woman on the PA/MD border for $200.00 a fill. Those would be without fluro though. I WANT fluro but I am starting to think that money is going to stand in the way this time.

She has the price range for ALL the fill centers though as it seems they vary.

Let me know what you find out, I'm looking for some place close to home too. I can't keep flying to Mexico [although Id like to!] I don't like driving long distances either, especially in cities, so I'm stuck either way. :lb12:

I was thinking about taking a train to NJ or NY, I could handle that.

Let me know what you find out, I'm looking for some place close to home too. I can't keep flying to Mexico [although Id like to!] I don't like driving long distances either, especially in cities, so I'm stuck either way. :lb12:

I was thinking about taking a train to NJ or NY, I could handle that.

Where abouts are you in central Pa? Anywhere near Harrisburg? Thats not really central, but just wondering how far you am from me.

Hi Mona, my craptastic sister, :lol: I thought your last fill did the trick. I'm looking at your progress to gage my own since I have the VG band as well.

I don't know if you remember, but I set my first fill appointment for August 6th at the OCC because I wanted my first fill there, but darn it, I have no restriction at all and have put on a few pounds. So, I made an appointment for this coming Saturday at Fill Centers USA in Roswell Ga. Apparently the nurse won't do them without floro (which is an extra $200) so I will be having that each time.

I am going to the OCC in August for a second fill.

I'm glad you posted the information about people with the VG band needing more fills. I was wondering about that. It seems logical to me.

Did you know that Dr. Ortiz is one of the folks that got together and started Fill Centers USA?

Jena

Hey there back Craptastic Sister!!

My second fill DID do the trick, for a week! Now it's gone. Man this is frustrating. Yes, I do remember you are getting your fills here and there, LOL!! But thats good. Hopefully, you'll get results right away. I just don't want to wait, I am so tired of waiting. Tonight though, I did kind of have a hard time getting a hamburger patty down. Not too bad, but I was kind of hoping that meant restriction was coming back.

$200 isn't bad for fluro. I think the NJ facility charges more than any other facility. I wish cost wouldn't matter so much but 3 trips to Mexico really kind of broke the bank so to speak. Hmmmm wonder how long a drive it is to Roswell GA from Pa?

I was also told that the prices are different ant the different locations. Wonder why.

Denise, the Fill Center is charging a fixed price for the visit/fill (first time $349 and there after $ 185) BUT the fluoro depends on were you go, because it is charged by the person who does the fill.

Some NP's do not charge for fluoro, some do not do fluoro, some do not do a fill without fluoro and that is where the prices are different.

:wacko: :lb12: :ph34r:

Hey there back Craptastic Sister!!

My second fill DID do the trick, for a week! Now it's gone. Man this is frustrating. Yes, I do remember you are getting your fills here and there, LOL!! But thats good. Hopefully, you'll get results right away. I just don't want to wait, I am so tired of waiting. Tonight though, I did kind of have a hard time getting a hamburger patty down. Not too bad, but I was kind of hoping that meant restriction was coming back.

$200 isn't bad for fluro. I think the NJ facility charges more than any other facility. I wish cost wouldn't matter so much but 3 trips to Mexico really kind of broke the bank so to speak. Hmmmm wonder how long a drive it is to Roswell GA from Pa?

For a week? That's all? Dang! It's good for me to see you being so aggressive to hit the sweet spot. I could kick myself for sitting around fighting *real* hunger and not head hunger when I just should have scheduled a fill.

Now that I'm walking in your shoes, I totally understand your frustration before and after your first fill. Yes, this thing is a tool, but you have to USE the tool to see results. It's like having a nail gun but using the sole of your tennis shoe to put a nails in a wall.

Jena

For a week? That's all? Dang! It's good for me to see you being so aggressive to hit the sweet spot. I could kick myself for sitting around fighting *real* hunger and not head hunger when I just should have scheduled a fill.

Now that I'm walking in your shoes, I totally understand your frustration before and after your first fill. Yes, this thing is a tool, but you have to USE the tool to see results. It's like having a nail gun but using the sole of your tennis shoe to put a nails in a wall.

Jena

Great analogy!!!!

I was hoping that my restriction would magically come back, but no. Then I was hoping that my hunger was all in my head, but no again. Stomach is a growling. Going to start those protein shakes again, so I don't gain. THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING! I wish I could have been able to get the smaller band. The gal at Fill Cetners USA told me I will probably have to get a few more fills before I have good permanent restriction. If that is the case, I am going broke. I am still waiting for NYU to call me back about their $100. fill, I wish they would hurry up!!

Hey Mona, Please call Dr. Ortiz before you go for your fill. When I talked with Dr. Ortiz the day I was banded(April, 07), I asked him how many fills will I need and how often. he said about 6-8 wks after I was banded. I got my 1st. fill. I couldn't get there until the end of June, 07. I got my 2nd. fill this past Feb. He said after the 1st. fill you shouldn't have to get a fill but maybe every 6 months during the first 2 yrs. then once a yr. after that. This is just how I feel about fills are that as long as you are still losing weight at a steady pace then put off a fill. But, If you haven't lost any weight in about a month (because we all lose weight and then plato then start to lose again. It takes time.) then it might be time for a fill. I'm just a little learing of someone that want you to come for a fill every month when you might not need it. I have read on here about people who get fillef then it's too much have to go back to get unfilled then back in 2 weeks to be refilled again. That can't be very good for your stomach or your band. Please call Dr. Ortiz office 1st. This is how I feel about fills. Please don't think i'm talking you out of anything I'm not I just want you to please call the Dr. 1st. You have a different band then I have.

Kelly C

Hey Mona, Please call Dr. Ortiz before you go for your fill. When I talked with Dr. Ortiz the day I was banded(April, 07), I asked him how many fills will I need and how often. he said about 6-8 wks after I was banded. I got my 1st. fill. I couldn't get there until the end of June, 07. I got my 2nd. fill this past Feb. He said after the 1st. fill you shouldn't have to get a fill but maybe every 6 months during the first 2 yrs. then once a yr. after that. This is just how I feel about fills are that as long as you are still losing weight at a steady pace then put off a fill. But, If you haven't lost any weight in about a month (because we all lose weight and then plato then start to lose again. It takes time.) then it might be time for a fill. I'm just a little learing of someone that want you to come for a fill every month when you might not need it. I have read on here about people who get fillef then it's too much have to go back to get unfilled then back in 2 weeks to be refilled again. That can't be very good for your stomach or your band. Please call Dr. Ortiz office 1st. This is how I feel about fills. Please don't think i'm talking you out of anything I'm not I just want you to please call the Dr. 1st. You have a different band then I have.

Kelly C

Thanks for your concern sweetie, really. I have been to Dr. Ortiz 3 times. I have the VG band which holds 10cc's of saline when most bands are the smaller ones that only hold 44 cc's. After speaking to FillCentersUSA (Which was stared by Dr. Ortiz, by the way) it does make sense that it will take more fills. The problem is, I am NOT losing weight. I am still stuck at the 30 pound loss from back in April/May. If I was losing weight, I wouldn't be so quick to complain. What Dr. Ortiz explained to you is what holds true for most people because most people have the smaller band. When I got my first fill, Dr. Romero did indicate that I will need more fills than normal, but at the time I chose not to believe him because I wanted my fill to work so badly. But, thinking about it, it does make sense. You only need 4cc's to fill your band, I need 10.

See, I was banded back in March. I am tired and frustrated with waiting to get moving on this weight loss journey! I know and appreciate your concern for me, but I don't think a call will make any difference.

But, I'll put this to the people.................whacha all think? anyone?

By the way, I am at 7000 steps today. Anyone else?

Mona - Go for the Fill Center, money is getting tight for most of us these days. Haven't been around in a month. Had so much going on. I didn't know you had the larger band. Tells you how much I have been on this site. I haven't lost any weight in about 3 weeks. Have gone back on shakes and a light dinner for a few days to see how things progress. Take care.

Hi All,

I went to Fill Center USA in Salt Lake City. The cost was $349.00 plus $99.00 for the flouro. They list their prices on the internet so I don't understand why you have to pay so much. Dr Ortiz is only on their advisory Board and really has nothing to do with the centers. I found this out as I was very upset that the Fill Center Doctor tried to talk me into taking Phentremine which is a diet pill(the safer half of Fen-Fen), it is however an upper. Why should we take a diet pill with a lapband....does not make sense to me. I spoke to Carolyn at length about this and she said that this was not something Dr Ortiz would do. Anyways this guy was really wierd and made me very uncomfortable. I hope you have a better experience.

I would for sure inquire as to why the prices vary from center to center.

Arlene