Weight limit?

mimzy

[/size

I am happy to find this forum and to learn about the OCC. The posts here are so helpful, I hope you all can know that!

What I am wondering is, is there a weight limit (I am talking high end) where the surgery won't be peerformed by the good Doctors?

I signed up for this forum to find our info on Lap Band as a means of helping with serious weight problem and co-morbidities (diabetis, high blood pressure), not just for cosmetic reasons (no offense to anyone here!). Some places I have looked into have treated Lap Band as a cosmetic elective proceedure - which is not why I look to lap band information.

Thanks, any info you can give is appreciated.

Mimzy

[/size

I am happy to find this forum and to learn about the OCC. The posts here are so helpful, I hope you all can know that!

What I am wondering is, is there a weight limit (I am talking high end) where the surgery won't be peerformed by the good Doctors?

I signed up for this forum to find our info on Lap Band as a means of helping with serious weight problem and co-morbidities (diabetis, high blood pressure), not just for cosmetic reasons (no offense to anyone here!). Some places I have looked into have treated Lap Band as a cosmetic elective proceedure - which is not why I look to lap band information.

Thanks, any info you can give is appreciated.

Mimzy

I doubt you'll find anyone here who got banded for cosmetic reasons. We all did it to be healthy and lose weight. Not sure what the high end limit might be, but I started out at a weight of 289 at 5'3" and a BMI of 51 so that is pretty high. If you are higher, just simply give the OCC a call and ask them. They are very very helpful and wonderful caring people.

Thank you! I am thinking of this for myself, but also a family member who's life depends on weight loss.

My BMI is over 32. My family member's - much higher. There just have been places in the states that say no to anyone over about 300lbs, and that is so silly.

Mimzy

The best and easiest solution is to pick up the phone and call the OCC. The phone call is free. In my case, they answered a similar question simply, honestly and didn't try to sell me anything. They just honored my quest for information.

You'll get Rene or Melissa or Jorge most of the time. They were great.

Guest sdejong

My mother was not banded at OCC, she was banded in Washington State and she was almost 400lbs to my best knowledge. When my sister and I were banded July 1st she came with us and Dr. Miranda at OCC was a little surprised that they did the surgery but she has lost 170lbs in almost 2 years. I think the ladies on this forum have given you the best advice, call OCC and ask....

As for the health related benefits my mother no longer has: sleep apnea, high blood pressure, acid reflux and multiple other issues, all because she has lost so much weight.

Shy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started at I 340lb and am 5'6" so my BMI was well over 50. I have lost 18lbs so far with a goal of reaching 305 by 10/6 when I go to be banded. I'm working hard to get there and expect to be there or very close. I talked with Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Miranda and set my schedule. I booked the airfare today for my trip and am very excited. I'm looking forward to continuing this weight loss and feeling better. My blood sugar is already much better. Will see my Primary care doc this week to discuss meds and what needs to be continued. Good luck and please call them. They are the ones with the answers

• 1 month later...

The day I was there, there were a few there who were on the high end of the scale, (both people who were there the day before and day of), and their surgery went just fine. I'm sure there is a high-end limit, but I do know that the upper limit of obese and morbidly obese weights and BMI's is pretty high.

One word of caution, and Dr. Ortiz mentioned this to me post-op. If you're like me and have a history of losing a lot, gaining a lot, losing a lot, and gaining a lot, you might want to work very closely with the staff and let them know about that. He had told me that there was some funkiness about how we had to do my surgery and that he had to really work at it to get mine done. Even though I lost 24lbs, pre-op, my liver was still pretty big, and this was a result of my loss/gain/loss/gain.*

*note: The reason for the low/no-carb pre-op diet is to make your liver shrink, so there is more room to work. The part of your stomach they need to get to is slighty behind your liver, and right next to the major descending vein and artery in your lower torso, so they really do need that extra room to work, or else there could be a major catastrophy...(i.e. death). Not to scare anyone, because Dr. Martinez and Dr. Ortiz are very capable.