husband had interesting observation at 1st fill

So I get my 1cc fill and my hubby says "it doesn't even look like enough to get through the tube to the band" and I started to think about this. What do you guys think?

After a fill does any of the fluid stay in the tube? It would make sense that it would. If that's the case then we are not really getting the full amount.

The nurse also said that she has a couple of people that have 4.2cc in a 4cc band so it can hold a little more.

Not sure of the answer, but my sisters doctor told her that her 4cc band actually holds much more than 4 cc's.

I think a lot of people are under the impression that filling up to 4 cc's will close the stoma completely, but that is not the case. The 4 cc's is just the amount that the band can hold, that doesn't mean it is enough to copmpletely close the stoma.

The fluid does stay in the tube. They are very careful to make sure that there are no air bubbles in the fill, as it will seem like you have lost some of your fill when really the air has just passed out of the tube. Air can escape; saline cannot.

Hmmm..interesting question!

I would think the saline gos to the band and doesn't stay in the port.

I have also been told our bands can hold more than what they say.

So I get my 1cc fill and my hubby says "it doesn't even look like enough to get through the tube to the band" and I started to think about this. What do you guys think?

After a fill does any of the fluid stay in the tube? It would make sense that it would. If that's the case then we are not really getting the full amount.

The nurse also said that she has a couple of people that have 4.2cc in a 4cc band so it can hold a little more.

I would think that some would have to stay in the tubing..... 1cc isn't very much for a first fill, are you feeling anything? i got 1.8cc and felt it for maybe a week.

Very perceptive husband you have....Yes there is a small amount staying in the tube once the band is full. Until then I think most of it goes in the band because there is room for it. It might take a few days for the remainder in the tube to migrate into the balloon itself. Maybe that's why it take a week or so sometimes for fills to actually kick in?

I'm going to the OCC on Thursday and will ask this question for sure and repost when I have the answer from an expert.

Very perceptive husband you have....Yes there is a small amount staying in the tube once the band is full. Until then I think most of it goes in the band because there is room for it. It might take a few days for the remainder in the tube to migrate into the balloon itself. Maybe that's why it take a week or so sometimes for fills to actually kick in?

I'm going to the OCC on Thursday and will ask this question for sure and repost when I have the answer from an expert.

Thanks Julie