Pain from working out

I started working out last Thursday (3 weeks post op). I am only working on the elliptical, but as of yesterday I am starting to feel some tenderness around my stomach and the port site like I have done a bunch of sit-ups. It doesn't hurt badly or anything, just tender again like it was a couple days post-op. I am wondering if anyone else experienced this? Is this normal?

I don't want to push myself too hard and cause the band to slip...do you ever get over that paranoia?

Yes!! And I asked Darlene (my fill nurse) about it yesterday and she said to expect that for about a year anytime anything strains the port area. That those muscles and ligaments are still healing for a year and after that time the post workout tenderness should subside.

I also had tenderness and still do at times. I started working out 1 week after surgery (no sit ups) and I would get some discomfort throughout the workout. At time I would get gassy and had to stop because I couldn't really stand up straight due to the gas pain. It's much better now and don't get gassy at the gym :D

I only do the tread mill, I was told to wait until 3 months before doing anything that used the stomache muscles and no lifting 25 plus for the first three months too. I am afraid that my port will flip. You have a life time now, this is the healing phase.

Good luck

I agree, I was working out with a trainer when I first started and his main job was to show me how to work out without using my stomach muscles. He told me to stay away from the elliptical for the first 90 days since it does hit your stomach muscles. Kept me on the tread mill and then we did isolation exercise that did not hit the stomach – arms, legs – etc.

I agree, I was working out with a trainer when I first started and his main job was to show me how to work out without using my stomach muscles. He told me to stay away from the elliptical for the first 90 days since it does hit your stomach muscles. Kept me on the tread mill and then we did isolation exercise that did not hit the stomach – arms, legs – etc.

Thanks Lisa...I was using the elliptical and really didn't have any probs. I will change to the treadmill untill 3 months so as not to harm anything. I love this forum!!

I'm sure glad I read this post! I've been alternating the eliptical and the treadmill. I haven't noticed any port pain lately, but when I first started working out after surgery I noticed the pain at the port site, after I finished my workout. I will go back to treadmill only until I have my 6-week checkup at the doctor.

Thanks again for another helpful post!

Denise

I was banded over 3 months ago and my port site still hurts when I do some exercises, especially anything that targets the abs (I thought abs would be safe by now). I can do the elliptical, treadmill and most of the circuit ok. Its the sit-ups and running that causes problems. Today I ran 2 1/2 almost 3 miles and my port site is killing me, but I can do 6 miles on the elliptical without incident. I think it's the jarring movement that gets me.

It seems like I took it easy on my abs for so long, I was sooooo excited to finally work them out, but to play it safe I guess will have to give it a just a little while longer.

Dr. So told me it could take as long as 6 month for the muscles to heal and that 3 months is just a guide. We should see how our body reacts and adjust our exercise accordingly.

Dr. So told me it could take as long as 6 month for the muscles to heal and that 3 months is just a guide. We should see how our body reacts and adjust our exercise accordingly.

We all heal differently and the Dr. is so right.

Lynzz you are so beautiful in your pic. I get encouragement from you because you are sooo active. I hope to be there someday again, maybe not so far away in the near future!!

We all heal differently and the Dr. is so right.

Lynzz you are so beautiful in your pic. I get encouragement from you because you are sooo active. I hope to be there someday again, maybe not so far away in the near future!!

Thank you Julie, you are so sweet. You will be active again, just do a little bit more every day. You will amaze yourself.

Don't forget to share what you do, I would love to hear.....