1/2 cup of food or 3-4oz

I was looking at my patient identification card and it talks about the patient only being able to eat 1/2 cup of food or 3-4oz.

I don't know about the rest of you but I eat more than 1/2 cup. I've only had one fill but 1/2c is not very much. I continue to use my salad plate when eating my meals which is way smaller than the regular plate.

Is this what we should be doing? Measuring out the 1/2 c? how can you get all your food groups into that small amount.

If anyone has asked that question to Dr. Miranda I would like to hear her response.

thanks

Yes, sad but true we all should only eat this much at a time. I asked Dr. Miranda and she said to not overeat as it will result in eventual pouch stretching. Yes I am guilty of eating more, but am working hard on this. I now do measure out 1/2 cup and stop at another 1/4 no matter what. Hope this helps.

I have been messing up bad then! I just had 1 cup of broccoli and cheese soup for lunch at one sitting.. So that could stretch my pouch? I thought I heard eat as much as you want on the post op because liquids would not stretch your pouch.. Did I read wrong?

No liquids don't count when you are in the liquid phase. You are right Trina to eat your soups as you wish. I forgot about this stage, since I am not on it anymore I've blocked it out of my memory I guess. Anyway no worries I was talking about eating real food that isn't blended up, stuff we must chew ourselves after the liquids phase.

Glad to see you back from the weekend. I missed ya!!

Phew! thanks for that clarification.. Thought I had messed things up and that is why I am losing restriction...

Thanks Julie, just was busy busy this weekend.. Trying to stay busy so time flys on this liquid phase.. Friday is my first day on solids, I am trying to figure out what to eat.

I remember when I was close to eating real food as I am sure we all do. I ended up eating oatmeal for breakfast, was full all day from that and then had FRESH salmon for dinner with broccoli. I could only eat about 4-5 bites of the salmon and 1 little broccoli tree. I'm counting the days for you cutie!!

I e-mailed Dr. Miranda for suggestions and clarification. I just don't see how we can fit protein, veggies, starch and fruit into a 1/2 cup. Just eating salad can be a good 1.5 cups. if I tried to fit my spinach into 1/2c it would only be one leaf <_<

Well, it wasn't until after my 2nd fill that I found the 1/2 cup serving was as much as I could eat, if that. Good luck, your time will come. I still worry about getting enough nutrients, but my husband(he's a GP) tells me to take my vitamins daily and I will be fine. He must be right, I feel good, have lots of energy and I'm losing slow and steady.

I may be wrong, (It would be the first time this year) but I took that to mean that is the most the pouch will hold at any one time. That's why we have to eat slowly and chew very well. You don't want to fill it up all at one time.

Darlene said my pouch could hold about 2 tablespoons when looking at the floroscope. I just had my first fill on Saturday and I am really satisfied with much less food.

Jena