Home from 1st fill trip

So I'm back!!! I got home late last night, couldn't wait to get into my own bed. This morning I don't feel too well, not all band related though. My fibromyalgia has kicked in. It does this whenever I get out of my normal routine of life. I just lain hurt all over from my head to my toes. Also I have a slight sore throat and am stuffed up with sinus stuff. Yippee!!

I know al of you really just want to hear about my fill experience so here goes.

Dr. So did it and was both so easy on the eyes and on my port. It did pinch a little when he put the needle in but that was it. He then sat me up and had me drink a series of sips of barium (not bad to sip) and watched it flow from my esophagus to my pouch and then on into my old stomach. It's neat to watch. He injected a small amount of saline and then would have me swallow again and again until he saw restriction of some sort on the screen. It's very subtle. At 1.8 cc he said that was enough. I then drank a small bottle of water before I went back to the hotel.

Overnight I had soup and kept thinking about why only 1.8cc's instead of 2. He had done a fine explanation of the reasoning and how each person is different and this is a slow, slow, steady process that requires alot of patience. Since people fly in and out for fill they are over cautious about overfilling for the simple fact of patient safety and the ability to come back if it is too tight. Yes I heard all this and I fully understood this but somehow I felt I was shorted that extra .2cc that I could have gotten to make it a full 2 cc. To make a long story shorter I went back the next morning to have it checked. The charming Dr. Acosta was very patient and kind with me. I know I was questioning Dr. So's professional judgement but it didn't matter to me until I got there. Then I started to feel really bad(emotionally, not physically) about even going back. The patient Dr. Acosta took time with me and did check to see if anymore would go in. This time when he put the needle in I didn't even feel it!!! That was so nice. Anyway as I thought before he even did the testing he stuck with the 1.8 cc. I was embarrassed throughout the whole time I was there that I had even gone there. What got into me? I even cried. I guess that desire to get the most for my money and flight down there overcame by own sensibility. Anyway after that I went back to the hotel, had some broth and apple juice with no problems at all and caught the shuttle to the airport. I actually felt like crap the whole day because I hadn't slept well because of a rock hard bed and had a throbbing almost migraine type headache. I couldn't wait for the 4 hours I had to kill at the airport to pass. At one point I found an empty gate sort of by itself and went to the very back and actually just layed down on the carpeted floor for about 45 minutes. I just had to lie down and the airport has nowhere for that. I got up feeling a little better. And the time finally came to board the plane.

Today I got up as usual and took my morning meds, only 2 pills to start with with a few sips of water. Oh man could I feel them go down the whole way and then stick in my pouch area for awhile. The water felt like it was in my throat for minutes but it passed. I guess I now must have some swelling and as people say the morning thing about the band being tighter in the Am have kicked in. I will be very careful over the next few days to baby it and just sip on the liquids for another 2 days.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to update all of you. Have a nice weekend to each of you!!

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the update, I hope this works for you. I didn't get a fill on the 16th as planned. I still have restriction and don't need one yet.

I am booked for Aug 20th, so we'll see what happens. I guess sometimes the band provides restriction on it's own for awhile, but 6 weeks???

Take care Cathy

Big HUGS, Julie!

I have to tell you that I did the exact same thing... actually, I think they are used to it, and never get their feelings hurt. In fact, if you still weren't happy with your fill, Dr. Martinez or Dr. Ortiz would have checked it themselves. I was filled to 1.6 by Dr. Acosta, and was upset all afternoon. The next morning I went back and Dr. So checked my fill, basically withdrawing all the fluid and doing the fill again. He said the fill was only 1.5, not 1.6, and he left it like that. He tried for more, but it made my pouch "muffin top." He told me to follow the rules EXACTLY and to come back in 6 weeks; he felt that my esophagus would shrink and I would be able to have a bigger fill. I was, as you are, very disappointed, but I totally understand why after he explained it so thoroughly. I also felt guilty for not "trusting" Dr. Acosta, but I had to do what I thought was BEST for ME!

Oh, yeah.... my first fill was 1.2.... talk about disappointing... I cried all the way home.

Hugs on the fibro.. I am in the same boat... Take your lyrica!

To Cathy: Wow what a lucky woman you are with restriction still after 6 weekis. Maybe that's the advantage you have over us "mexican"bandits.... :girl_sigh: Glad you are doing well.

Now to Paula: I am so glad I am not alone. I almost didn't even post that I went back because I was so embarrassed of myself even at the Dr.s office. I now know I am not the only one who wants the best bang for our buck to to speak.

So I guess I have to wait it out. Dr. Acosta said to email him in 5 days to let him know how I was doing. You bet I will.

To Cathy: Wow what a lucky woman you are with restriction still after 6 weekis. Maybe that's the advantage you have over us "mexican"bandits.... :girl_sigh: Glad you are doing well.

Now to Paula: I am so glad I am not alone. I almost didn't even post that I went back because I was so embarrassed of myself even at the Dr.s office. I now know I am not the only one who wants the best bang for our buck to to speak.

So I guess I have to wait it out. Dr. Acosta said to email him in 5 days to let him know how I was doing. You bet I will.

Hi Julie, don't be embarrassed, you travelled along way to get the fill and deserve to know if you got enough. You double checked and it was okay. That's all that matters. Sometimes you need to get a second opinion. Drs can make mistakes too. I hope the fill is successful for you!

Feel better, Cathy

Yeah I am sure the fill amount is what it should be. Today I've just had my liquids and been feeling "full" all day for the most part. So there must be swelling because I know the liquids go through. My stomach is growling tonight but I don't feel like I need to eat. Now on the other hand my head is telling me to "EAT,EAT" Your stomach's growling you are hungry. My husband is BBQ'ing lovely steaks and fresh veggies on the grill as I type this. OH it smells so good when he opens the back door. I will not eat any of it though because I can have that all too soon and I don't want to screw anything up. So knows he's in the living room eating his lovely steak and veggies and all I did was smelll them as he went by. Yummy I just dranka little thing of liquid probiotic Dannon yogurt...Does it compare?? NOT!!

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention......Since the fill I have been soooo well shall we say "gassy" Even with the beano and gas-x. And the terrible thing was on the plane, OMG I thought I was going to die. Nothing let loose out loud but occasionally I couldn't help myself. Luckily there were 2 kids sitting behind me that could be the culprits if people tried to figure it out. I know I'm bad. Has anyone else had this happen. It's mostly the basement type.

Welcome back, Julie!

Don't feel bad about going back. That is a long trip and of course you would want to get the most out of it. I hope your fill works wonders for you.

P.S I think we are all a bit too gassy! LOL

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the update, I hope this works for you. I didn't get a fill on the 16th as planned. I still have restriction and don't need one yet.

I am booked for Aug 20th, so we'll see what happens. I guess sometimes the band provides restriction on it's own for awhile, but 6 weeks???

Take care Cathy

Hey Cathy,

I am almost 3 weeks post op and I still have restriction as well. My dr. told me that he has some patients that keep it for months. I think it is all dependent on the individual, ya know? I am happy I have restriction. Why rush the fill process if you don't need it?

Are you still losing weight at 6 weeks without a fill? I haven't weighed myself in a week so I don't know if it is still coming off or not.

:)

I had my first fill on Friday and was disappointed to get only 1.2cc. I was expecting more becasue the ladies that went with me to mexico got more, one got 2.4cc. I feel restriction, but very mild, not like PO surgery, and I am satisfied with less, I will be able to test solids on Tuesday afternoon.

I am talking to myself a lot about all the things that I have heard on this site about taking it slow. I want to be at goal weight NOW. I also have fibromyalga and know that it is a strong personality trait amoung us who have it to want perfection and control, most are professionals, I am an engineer.

I had fill here in CO because it was much cheaper and closer. It cost 125 for the first visit and 50 for all the next ones. The PA did the fill, the doc was nice and knew of Dr Ortez. I am not to happy that he wants me to have an expensive upper barium done to see if the band is in the correct location (because it was done in TJ) Insurance doesn't pay for band related stuff. I told him I would sign a waiver if the cost for the test was too high. We'll see.

Julie,

I'm happy for you that you made it through your first fill relatively pain free! I hope you feel better since you are now home and able to rest better. Thanks for providing such a detailed description of the fill process. I'm scheduled to have my first fill on 7/28 in Houston. I'm really ready for a fill, as I have very little restriction and am using willpower alone to not gain any weight back that I've lost since surgery.

I hope you feel better soon! Let us know how you feel once you are able to eat solids again. I'm anxious to hear.

Denise

Hey Cathy,

I am almost 3 weeks post op and I still have restriction as well. My dr. told me that he has some patients that keep it for months. I think it is all dependent on the individual, ya know? I am happy I have restriction. Why rush the fill process if you don't need it?

Are you still losing weight at 6 weeks without a fill? I haven't weighed myself in a week so I don't know if it is still coming off or not.

:)

Hi iamworthit,

I am almost 6weeks post op and my restriction is really good, I drink tons of water (chug it down now) and I am still losing. Down another 2 lbs this week, hit 35 lbs in just 54 days!!! Whoot hooo!!!! I am following the plan and having a treat once in awhile, not feeling deprived at all, which is a huge plus for me!

You are doing fabulous as well!!! Good for you!!

Cathy

Cathy you too are doing fabulous...35# already with no fill.... :lb21: :lb24: I am so happy for you. I think you have an excellent care team and that makes a huge difference too. It sound like they really want you to succeed as well and that's why the aftercare and fills are included. How nice for you.

Now to update my fill story.

My last post last night was about my husband BBQing this lovely steak and veggies, zucchini to be exact. He came in and the smell of it filled the house. I longingly looked over it and passed. Well you might have already guessed the zucchini was calling too me, not really the steak so much. I of course broke down and put 2 slices in a bowl. mashed it up almost to water and ate it. Very slowly, fine no probs. So about 1/2 hour later I wet back into the kitchen, first mistake, looked again at the rest of the zucchini, second mistake and snatched up a piece at ate it. No mashing it this time just gobbled it down, third and final BIG mistake. I felt it stop in my throat. The chest pain began. Next came the sliming for about 10-15 minutes off and on. It was starting to go down I thought and I had to take my medicine that was already late and so I took a tiny sip of water and the pill. In a matter of minutes up came........well I wont TMI it. Man when will I learn? I guess I've always tested boundaries and this is no exception. I have a new respect for this partially filled band now though and today is liquids only for me. I mean it too. I got up and took 1 pill with a sip of water and felt it go all the way down, stick in the pouch and then pass. I know it's my own fault that I probably have more swelling than I would have had I not just had to try the zucchini. I must stop self-sabotaging myself or this will never work for me. I've heard of many dieters who do this self-sabotage stuff and I am one of those I guess. Even in small ways still. I am trying to not be too rough on myself and realize how far I have come. My behavior is not like it used to be and I realize change does not happen overnight. I wish I could just be one of those who gets the band and then just follows the rules like I should and all would be well. I am going to do some serious self talk and praying to try and get to the bottom of this type of behavior. I don't want to do it again.

Once again I've gone on and on but I just had to vent a little.

Today is a new day and I have only had a sip of water so far. I will take it choice by choice and follow the rulles to make this work!

I am still in alot of physical fibro pain. It usually takes a few days to get over a flare up. I have to work tomorrow so I need to feel better by then. I have tons of housework that needs to be done but I may only get the exxentials done. That's how it usually goes though. I need a maid for real. :((

Don't worry about asking the doctors to double check- they understand. And we all get fixed on the numbers- and there is the tendency to want to get "your money's worth" by getting a tad bigger fill. I had that experience and ended up flying back to Mexico for an unfill the next week. I had too much of a good thing. I had another small fill, and again, needed 0.1 cc taken out. It made a huge difference. Now I only have 0.8 cc in my 4cc band and it seems to doing OK. I am tempted to get another fill but it's nice to be able to eat w/o it hurting. I'll stay status quo.

I traveled with another person who had a much bigger fill than mine on that first day. I had 1.5cc (and ended up needing 0.5 taken out the next week) and she had 2.5 put in the first time and was fine. We're all different- you can't compare fill numbers. As for the doctors at Dr. Ortiz office- I trust their judgement. If they say a fill is the right level, I trust them. They have filled thousands of patients and they're the best at what they do. Julie Portland

Julie,

Don't feel bad about going back, shoot....I tried to "bully" Dr. So into giving me 2 cc's instead of the 1.5 cc's during my first fill.....hehe. I was so persistant, plead my case over and over again but he wouldn't budge. I ended up calling Dr. Acosta about a week and a half later begging for another fill-I drove down the next day and got another .8 cc's, by none other than Dr. So, I was so embarrased. They are used to it :rolleyes: Don't worry.

I pop things in my mouth while passing through the kitchen all the time. I don't know what possessed me, but one night a few days after my second fill, I saw beef jerky in the cupboard. Without even thinking, I put a piece in my mouth, chewed probably twice and swallowed. OMG, it hurt so bad!! It was near the death of me!! I have now learned my lesson for the most part. Although, sometimes I still pop things in my mouth and even start chewing without realizing it, then remembering the jerky ordeal, I end up spitting it out. It takes a while to break our old habits and form new ones. Our band will be instrumental in this process, by letting us know when we have strayed off the path.

Take it easy, I hope you feel better soon........and get a maid, you deserve it!