Lap over

Carolyn2

• 1 month later...

You can talk directly with Dr. Ortiz about this. He does do remedial surgery and is one of the few MD.s anywhere that will band someone who has had surgery previously. I had a stapeling done in the '80's and he is going to take me as a patient. I spoke with him directly after I had made the decision. It is more costly and the surgery more extensive. He will do it laproscopically but expects it to take 21/2 hours and my recovery may be a little more than people who just get the band. I am also working at getting my BMI down also before surgery next month. Dr. Ortiz has more experience with this than other doctors here in the states. I spoke with a doctor here and he will only consider Stomaphyx which is a procedure that after researching I don't think will really help me.

Good luck and let me know if you are going to go through with this. I'd like to meet someone who's going through the same thing

Back in the 80's and also 70's bariatric surgery was in it's infancy. There were some procedures that were very drastic and people lost weight but suffered all kinds of vitamin deficiency problems and even died from this. the stapeling procedure also called gastroplasty was the least at that time.involved putting a band over part of the stomach for the opening (this piece of material has no relationship to the lapband) and then stapeling across the area. This procedure is rarely done anymore and anyone who does it I would avoid at all costs. You do get restriction and I lost weight. Then as I was eating one night the staples released. I could feel it. This wasn't painful but I knew the restriction was over. This was over 25 years ago. I had other unrelated medical problems and started gaining weight. There was no other help available. I'm very glad that Dr. Ortiz is willing to do the lapband. I have lost 80lbs over and over only to gain it back. I know this will not be easy I know what I went through before to lose weight and I still watched what I put in my mouth and exercised by swimming about 1/2 mile per day. When Bariatric surgery was in it's infancy the procedures were very extensive. I have a hugh incision down the middle of my abdomen. I have since had gallbladder surgery laproscopically and the difference is amazing. Also there were no support groups. Here in Atlanta there are support groups all over the city as well as what's on line. I think psychologists are more in tune with the eating disorders that are involved with morbid obesity and I am willing to do it all to lose weight and keep it off. I hope this answers some of the questions.

• 1 month later...

Hi Carolyn2,

I know this post is a few month old but I am a newbie and have been looking for someone on this forum who has had a gastric bypass? Can you please give me some tips? I am considering on getting Gastric Bypass Surgery but cannot afford the prices in the US and am considering going to Mexico? I read a good article on it Gastric Bypass Surgery and am wondering if anyone can give me some pointers before I make my decision.