five days post op and two types of pain

simego

Hi everyone, I could use some advice. I was banded five days ago. I was having true physical hunger pains as early as the first day post-op. I held out as long as possible, and on the fourth day post op I had one scrambled egg, tiny, tiny bites, chewed until virtually liquid. The protein helped my hunger and I thought it was ok. But OCC has told me NO! Stick to liquids only. My question is about this physical pain I have, as I think the only people who can really answer me are people who have been banded. I have two types of intermittent pain. One is occasional waves of a tightness feeling in the middle of my chest. The other is sharp, brief pain around my left collarbone. Both pains seem random to me and definitely not related (time-wise) to drinking anything, or eating the egg. I get either of these pains pretty frequently, especially the tightness one. From what I'm describing, does this tightness sound like the band? And has anyone else had these really sharp pains around the collarbone area? It's a bit scary. I'm not worried about any other health issues as the cause. And do you guys think it was so damaging about the eggs? They kind of freaked me out... What have other people (honestly) done post-op? Dr. Miranda said she has had patients who've slipped because they ate cottage cheese!

Eating solids at this point can do some serious damage to your band. It sounds like you're ok but you shouldn't do that again. You should be in the full liquids stage so you can try some soups with a little more body to them. You can even take whole soups and run them through the blender until they are the consistency of milk. You can also try yogurts or sugar-free fudgecicles which will give you the added bonus of having something to chew on. Right now you can basically have anything which will go through a straw.

Your pains sound like gas pain. Some people use Gas-X strips but taking short walks throughout the day, especially after eating, will also help. The walking has the added bonus of getting your blood flowing which will aid in healing.

Sorry to hear that you are having pain.

I had wicked gas pains for about 4 days, Ovol helped me. I also had hunger pains that felt like someone was twisting my stomach...it passed for me.

I made sure I got in all of my liquids and I didnt worry about a meal schedule..I ate when I felt hungry. Liquids go through the pouch quickly, so as long as you stay under 1200 calories, if you feel hungry have something. Can you have sugarfree pudding, I found that really sticks.

Good luck!!!

Eating solids at this point can do some serious damage to your band. It sounds like you're ok but you shouldn't do that again. You should be in the full liquids stage so you can try some soups with a little more body to them. You can even take whole soups and run them through the blender until they are the consistency of milk. You can also try yogurts or sugar-free fudgecicles which will give you the added bonus of having something to chew on. Right now you can basically have anything which will go through a straw.

Your pains sound like gas pain. Some people use Gas-X strips but taking short walks throughout the day, especially after eating, will also help. The walking has the added bonus of getting your blood flowing which will aid in healing.

Thank you for your answer. I know you were banded back in 2006, but do you remember if you felt this tightness a lot of the time in the middle of your chest? Is that the band? It's not related to anything I'm drinking, it's just there or just randomly comes and goes. Thanks for your help. Also, I've already been really active.

That's internal swelling.

Your liver, stomach, esophagus and a few other ograns got moved to put the band in. And THEN, to add insult to injury, there's this new piece of silicone they all have to get used to...especially your stomach. It's now narrowed into something that will fit inside this little strip of silicone.

It's mad, it's swollen. It will be okay. Liquid vitamins, plenty of sleep and ibuprofen worked wonders.

That's internal swelling.

Your liver, stomach, esophagus and a few other ograns got moved to put the band in. And THEN, to add insult to injury, there's this new piece of silicone they all have to get used to...especially your stomach. It's now narrowed into something that will fit inside this little strip of silicone.

It's mad, it's swollen. It will be okay. Liquid vitamins, plenty of sleep and ibuprofen worked wonders.

Thank you Phoenix. Although even Vicoden is not really helping. It's just kind of scary (in addition to hurting.) It is reassuring to hear that it is the band/surgery, and just the way it is supposed to be now. In your case, how long did this pain last? And is that what it will feel like when we get a fill? Thanks.

The internal swelling and tightness lasted about a week.

Haven't had a fill, yet, I get the first one a week from tomorrow.

Is having a fill like the first few days post surgery?

Some swear by Vicodin. I got better results with keterol (the Supradol they gave us at the clinic) or Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory. Vicodin isn't.

Hi I had my surgery May 14th and I still get the shoulder pain, I haven't figured out

yet what triggers it. It will be fine for a few weeks then all of a sudden it will start

hurting again, at least it is not constant pain anymore. Gas x still helps.

Hi I had my surgery May 14th and I still get the shoulder pain, I haven't figured out

yet what triggers it. It will be fine for a few weeks then all of a sudden it will start

Do you remember how it felt post-op? I am five days out and most of the time, or at least a lot of the time, I feel this tightness in the middle of my chest. It's not really related to drinking anything, it's just mostly there or randomly comes back. It's pretty painful; maybe a 5/10 on a pain scale. Did you have this? Is this just how the band feels? Does this sound normal to you? I'm not worried about any other medical issues or anything, it's clearly from the procedure/band, but it's more than I expected. I guess I thought the band was more or less painless if you don't overeat. I am not overeating or anything. Today I just had water and three protein shakes all day. Probably only 500 calories total. I this #1) normal post-op #2) temporary #3) how long does it last. I guess I'm mostly scared that this is how the band feels all the time. From all my reading on the lapbandforum I really didn't pick up having this much (and fairly continuous) post-op pain. Thanks,

Sounds like a bit of gas pain to me and please don't eat solids .......

Hunger Pain!!!!! Fight it ;)

Soups were very filling to me. Try you some Soup at Hand Creamy Tomato just as soon as you hit the creamy soup stage.

You can do it!! GOOD LUCK.

Do you remember how it felt post-op? I am five days out and most of the time, or at least a lot of the time, I feel this tightness in the middle of my chest. It's not really related to drinking anything, it's just mostly there or randomly comes back. It's pretty painful; maybe a 5/10 on a pain scale. Did you have this? Is this just how the band feels? Does this sound normal to you? I'm not worried about any other medical issues or anything, it's clearly from the procedure/band, but it's more than I expected. I guess I thought the band was more or less painless if you don't overeat. I am not overeating or anything. Today I just had water and three protein shakes all day. Probably only 500 calories total. I this #1) normal post-op #2) temporary #3) how long does it last. I guess I'm mostly scared that this is how the band feels all the time. From all my reading on the lapbandforum I really didn't pick up having this much (and fairly continuous) post-op pain. Thanks,

No wonder you are hungry! You need to be drinking more than 3 shakes a day!!! You should be up to liquid yogurt and can add that in and also diluted fruit juice. Basically, you should be sipping something constantly throughout the day. The pain is from the band and you might be making it worse if you become dehydrated which you may well be if all you are having is 3 shakes a day.

Drink more!!! And, walk a lot more and the pain will be gone in another week.

I get gas pains in my back after eating alot of protein. But it passes....I thought the gas pain issue would have subsided by now...I guess not!!!

Hi everyone, I could use some advice. I was banded five days ago. I was having true physical hunger pains as early as the first day post-op. I held out as long as possible, and on the fourth day post op I had one scrambled egg, tiny, tiny bites, chewed until virtually liquid. The protein helped my hunger and I thought it was ok. But OCC has told me NO! Stick to liquids only. My question is about this physical pain I have, as I think the only people who can really answer me are people who have been banded. I have two types of intermittent pain. One is occasional waves of a tightness feeling in the middle of my chest. The other is sharp, brief pain around my left collarbone. Both pains seem random to me and definitely not related (time-wise) to drinking anything, or eating the egg. I get either of these pains pretty frequently, especially the tightness one. From what I'm describing, does this tightness sound like the band? And has anyone else had these really sharp pains around the collarbone area? It's a bit scary. I'm not worried about any other health issues as the cause. And do you guys think it was so damaging about the eggs? They kind of freaked me out... What have other people (honestly) done post-op? Dr. Miranda said she has had patients who've slipped because they ate cottage cheese!

Hi Simego,

I was banded Monday and have also been having the sharp pain in my left collarbone. Feels like someone is poking with a dagger!! OUCH! Occasionally I've had the tightness in my chest, feels like an overextended balloon and I can hardly take a deep breath. I've been taking A LOT of extra strength Tums and have rationed the 4 painkillers the OCC gave out. Yesterday, my left shoulder and back was really achy. I went to Whole Foods and had a 30 minute massage in the "chair". This really helped. I have also been taking motrin. Have you tried the South Beach powedered drink mix? I've been blending it with ice, powdered vitamins and serving it in a marguerita glass. Kind of fools the mind. Hope some of this helps...sorry you're not feeling so well.

"michelle"

Sounds like gas pains. The best thing for that is to walk for about 10 minutes. It sounds a little silly but it really works. It also has the added benefit of increasing your circulation which helps in healing. Time and time again I see on the boards that the people feeling the poorest after surgery and who have not had other complications are the ones who are letting themselves stay in bed all the time.

Hi, I was banded Monday and also have shoulder pain. Hubby has been rubbing pain reliver cream into it and it helps a lot. I just figured they moved me in some awkward position to do their job. I also have a sore lump in my right lower calf and an extra bruise on my lower stomach. Figured they were all caused by moving a large lady around to do the banding.

Pam