Is this a good price?

As I said earlier in my other post, I have my first consult tomorrow and am not sure if my insurance will cover lap band or not. I have pretty much decided that I must have this surgery no matter what, so I was reading through the material that the place that I am going to be going to has online and read that if insurance doesn't cover the cost, their "fully inclusive price" is $17,500. Does that sound like a good deal or like a lot? Would it be cheaper to fly to OCC? I live in the midwest USA so not sure how much my flight would even cost or how long it would take. Any comments would be welcome...;) Thanks!

P.S. I just went to the OCC page and filled out the form to request info on financing. I hadn't seen that before when I wrote this..

Try taking off about $9 or $10 grand from what they've quoted you and that's the approx. price at the OCC. Yes you could save around 8-9 thousand dollars after you airfare, again this is just approximate and I don't want to quote prices as they are a private matter and I respect the OCC and that they should be the ones to give you exact numbers. So if insurance doesn't cover it then Dr. Ortiz would be my next option.

The price is comparable to Canada. I paid 15K, which included the surgery, hospital fees and all follow-op visits and fills for 5 years. Provincial Insurance nor Private Insurance does not cover Lapband in Canada.

Try the OCC the cost is half that but I am not sure if fills are included in their price.

Good Luck!

Wow! $17,500 is even more than the University of California, San Diego! They quoted me $16,500! I know you will have a better experience at OCC, and I would definitely give them a shot before paying all that money! If you need to, do some more research on Dr. Ortiz, you will find that he is a world renowned surgeon who has over 5000 Lap Band surgeries under his belt. The Doctor at UCSD only had 2000. Dr. Ortiz also proctored many doctors in the U.S. since the surgery wasn't approved here for a long time, Dr. O kept doing it, learning more, and even wrote a book!

Plus you get to meet a lot of other patients who later become your friends, the hotel and transportation is included in the cost (just not airfare) and it's like a mini vacation all in one!

Good luck on your decision,

Evette :)

You failed to mention how hot Dr. O is...

Heh.

It's a common price. It's the same price as I was quoted at True Results in Scottsdale. It's also the highest price I've been quoted.

There are some "drive thru" clinics in Dallas. They're cheap, but you don't have a clue about your surgeon. Feel free to call any of the clinics for a price. All of them were nice and none of them called back to solicit. They only called back with answers to my questions.

The price is comparable to Canada. I paid 15K, which included the surgery, hospital fees and all follow-op visits and fills for 5 years. Provincial Insurance nor Private Insurance does not cover Lapband in Canada.

Try the OCC the cost is half that but I am not sure if fills are included in their price.

Good Luck!

Actually, Alberta (AHIP) does cover a portion lap band surgery if it's done out of province and you can also write it off under medical expenses with Rev Canada including airfare. You have to provide all receipts of course.

Actually, Alberta (AHIP) does cover a portion lap band surgery if it's done out of province and you can also write it off under medical expenses with Rev Canada including airfare. You have to provide all receipts of course.

You are right Jann...I will be claiming that receipt thru Revenue Canada next year!!!!!

:o true results in san antonio, tx does the lap band for $15,000 and they are great..that price includes 2 years of follow up care, including fills!!! this is where i had mine done and they are truley wonderful!!

As I said earlier in my other post, I have my first consult tomorrow and am not sure if my insurance will cover lap band or not. I have pretty much decided that I must have this surgery no matter what, so I was reading through the material that the place that I am going to be going to has online and read that if insurance doesn't cover the cost, their "fully inclusive price" is $17,500. Does that sound like a good deal or like a lot? Would it be cheaper to fly to OCC? I live in the midwest USA so not sure how much my flight would even cost or how long it would take. Any comments would be welcome...;) Thanks!

P.S. I just went to the OCC page and filled out the form to request info on financing. I hadn't seen that before when I wrote this..

Thanks guys! I did get the price from OCC (it's actually on their website with a "special" going on now) and it's a wonderful price indeed!

I went to my consultation here in KC today and the place is really nice and everyone was great...the facility beautiful, etc. The doctor himself even came in and talked to me and told me all about the surgery. Then, after the appointment was over, the insurance girl came out and told me that she didn't think my insurance would approve. She said that TriCare Standard (which is what I have) has been denying people right and left lately unless a person is 100# overweight. Per their guidelines, I have a BMI (which Tri-Care doesn't care about) of 38.7 and have 3 co-morbidities (which they again don't care about), but am only 80# overweight! So what do I need to do? Should I gain 20# or put rocks in my pockets to weigh in? (I'm joking, but this is pretty stupid in my opinion)!

I am not actually that upset about it because I actually would rather go to OCC now after talking to all of you, but some of the problems I have are getting the money together, having a husband who is not only unsupportive of my having the surgery, but will hit the ceiling if he finds out I am going out of the country, and lastly...there are no fill centers closer than 250 miles from me... :lb12:

So...now instead of being scared about the surgery...I have lots of other things to worry about...lol

You are right Jann...I will be claiming that receipt thru Revenue Canada next year!!!!!

Absolutely! If you can get back some hard earned dough why not, eh?! My folder is ready to go. Just remember if you e-file they don't have the actual receipts and they will question your expenses and gum up the works. It might be a good year to send it in direct and avoid the hassle, Kitty.

I have Tricare and got reimbursed about $4600 of it and I had it done at OCC. My friend had them reimburse hers for $6000, don't know why the difference. I had more weight to lose and more co-morbidities and we sent in identical claims (we copied them). I didn't want to mess with hers so I just considered myself lucky to get some of it back....I was planning on getting nothing. The trick is to put it down as outpatient surgery...otherwise they want the OCC to submit the paperwork.

I have Tricare and got reimbursed about $4600 of it and I had it done at OCC. My friend had them reimburse hers for $6000, don't know why the difference. I had more weight to lose and more co-morbidities and we sent in identical claims (we copied them). I didn't want to mess with hers so I just considered myself lucky to get some of it back....I was planning on getting nothing. The trick is to put it down as outpatient surgery...otherwise they want the OCC to submit the paperwork.

I have Tri-Care, and they told me they wouldn't reimburse me any of it... you'll have to tell me what you did.

I'd love to know exactly how you worked it because they just flat out told me at the clinic I went to that Tricare would only pay if you were 100 # over goal weight WITH co-morbidity or 200# over goal weight with no co-morbidity and this is also on their website for their guidelines. Do you have TriCare Standard or Prime?