The Oregonian says. Police officer may be fired

She is giving the band a bad name and I can't believe she would go to this extreme to lie about having it.

See article;

Surgery in Mexico

Nelson, 38, worked as a Portland school police officer for 81/2 years before the unit merged with Portland police in 2001. In July 2006, she was at the East Precinct when she and a fellow officer were talking in the locker room about weight-loss surgery.

Nelson, then weighing 238 pounds, said she had tried many diet plans, a personal trainer, but nothing seemed to work. Nelson says she learned about a lap band procedure from a fellow officer, who also wanted to lose weight. Nelson says her health care provider wouldn't have approved the procedure. Instead, she and the other officer found a doctor in Mexico, where the surgery was cheaper.

The surgery is a laparoscopic procedure that places a silicone belt around the top of the stomach to create a small pouch, helping the patient control hunger and feel full.

On Aug. 17, 2006, Nelson and another officer flew together to Monterrey, Mexico. Both underwent the surgery the following day and flew back three days later.

By mid-September, Nelson developed serious complications. Tufts of her hair were falling out. She couldn't hold down any food or liquids. She had dropped from 238 to 180 pounds in less than a month. On Sept. 21, 2006, she went to the Kaiser Permanente emergency room. She was placed on IV, given pain medication and run through multiple tests. The prognosis: She needed to have the lap band removed or she could die.

From Sept. 21 through Sept. 26, Nelson burned through her sick time and vacation time, making numerous trips to the hospital. Her doctor in Mexico suggested she return and he'd remove the band, with no extra cost. She decided to return to Mexico.

Before her trip, an East Precinct sergeant recommended Nelson apply to the contributions committee for financial help and to talk to another officer about seeking a donation from other officers for catastrophic leave because she had no sick leave or vacation time left.

Nelson lied to her sergeant and other officers, telling them she was having gallbladder problems and needed emergency surgery in Texas. If she had told the truth, Nelson contends, "it would have gotten around all of East Precinct and all around the bureau."

Nelson said she didn't even share her predicament with her children, a son, 18, and daughter, 8.

Five months later, a complaint from another officer who knew the real reason for Nelson's trip to Mexico sparked the criminal investigation. Prosecutor Chuck French found no criminal wrongdoing. He said there was no "substantive consideration" given to her request and the money was simply approved with no documentation.

Nelson agreed to pay the $1,000 back to the special contributions fund.

Mayor signs letter

Yet, an internal affairs investigation proceeded.

On March 20, 2008,Sizer sent Nelson a letter, proposing her termination. She cited violations of the truthfulness directive, "theft by deception," and unprofessional conduct. Mayor Tom Potter signed it.

"Trust and honesty are critical to good police work," the chief wrote. "You knowingly misrepresented your reason for requesting funds from the PPSCC when you simply could have given the correct reason and asked that the information be kept confidential."

Union leaders accompanied Nelson to contest the firing, but the chief apparently was not persuaded. Nelson says she's awaiting her final termination letter.

"I didn't deliberately lie to get the money. I didn't even know about the fund," Nelson said.

She said she was untruthful with other officers because she feared a backlash.

"I didn't want them to think any less of me or think I couldn't control my eating, and I didn't want to be made fun of. That played a big role," she said. "Nothing stays confidential there."

Something about this story strikes me as odd....

and

WHY CAN'T ANY OF US LOSE 58 LBS. IN ONE MONTH? Cause it doesn't happen!

Ya me too and it bothers me that she said her dr would not have approved it, I wonder why. My dr is all excited about me doing it, even in Mexico.

I don't really know how I feel about this article. It is not any of their business what her medical condition was, but I have not kept my banding a secret as I am very proud of my decision to take my health into my own hands. I think it really stinks that she was terminated and nothing is ever truly "confidential" in that sort of situation.

I saw that article too in the paper and wanted to post it. I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to do it. My husband pointed it out to me in the paper with a smile. Not a mean one but one that said "How crazy was she?" To accept money from donations for that purpose was just wrong, especially when she was not truthful about it to the EAP folks. They are held to being confidential. Anyway what a scandal in our little hometown!!

That's like saying if someone had asked her what her sexual fantasies were she would have to reveal them or risk being fired. PLEASE!!!

Some things are just nobody's business. This really cheeses me off!!!!

First she has to deal with the stigma of being overweight, and then when she has complications, she doesn't want any further emotional pain over it. Where the hell is their compassion?!?!

Those people donated money to the fund because she was sick and needed surgery. That much was the truth - I think each person who donated should be asked whether or not they would have donated had they known the type of surgery it really was. God knows I'd care more about my co-worker getting back to good health than what kind of surgery they needed.

GRRRRRRRRRRR. :angry:

Just another sign of our times where being overweight is not considered a medical problem but rather a personal weakness. I don't agree with lying about it but I do wonder if she had instead had stomach cancer and lied because she didn't want others to know would they have made this big of a deal out of it? Why oh why do people think there is something wrong with a person who gets weight loss surgery done?

I too am proud and have not kept my surgery a secret from most people. I'm not broadcasting it but I'm pretty open if people want to know. As my weight decreases I expect more and more questions. They can all think what they want.

Cheryl

Just another sign of our times where being overweight is not considered a medical problem but rather a personal weakness. I don't agree with lying about it but I do wonder if she had instead had stomach cancer and lied because she didn't want others to know would they have made this big of a deal out of it? Why oh why do people think there is something wrong with a person who gets weight loss surgery done?

I too am proud and have not kept my surgery a secret from most people. I'm not broadcasting it but I'm pretty open if people want to know. As my weight decreases I expect more and more questions. They can all think what they want.

Cheryl

I'm with you... I've told everyone and I don't care what they think.... the vast majority have been supportive and the few who actually had the nerve to ask why i didn't just exercise and eat right were treated to a run down of my more then a decade worth of self and doctor supervised weight loss attempts... but again, I've never much cared what other people think of me.. the only opinion that matters is mine.... :) Merideth

I'd be a bit ticked if I donated money and found out I'd been lied to as to why, even if I would have donated the for the real reason as well. She didn't have to tell people exactly what it was for if she didn't want to but just flat out lying about it was certainly wrong. "I have a stomach problem and need emergency surgery. I don't really want to go into it because it's personal and kind of gross." Saying you're having digestive problems or women's problems are usually enough to trip people's TMI sensors. Not sure if it deserves termination though, especially since she repaid the money.

What concerns me more is that she was loosing at the rate of 15 a week and then waited a month to go to the hospital. If I had ever lost 15 pounds in a week I'd be on the phone with the doctor in a heartbeat. You just don't go from fine to OMG TAKE IT OUT RIGHT NOW OR YOU'RE GOING TO DIIIEEE overnight. There are warning signs. On top of that after being told your band or your life she waited a week to get back to Mexico. Once again, if that was me I'd be down in Mexico and there'd just be a me-shaped cloud of dust here. Something's up with this lady, it sounds like poor judgment was used all around.

I think her story was that the was going for gallbladder surgery and it was her co-workers who started the pool. She obviously didn't want people to know what she was going for, so should she now have to fess up because they wanted to do something nice to help her?

I do not believe she was the one soliciting funds, and the fact that she did have a legitimate, life-threatening need for surgery she felt that her co-workers money was going for exactly what they intended it to.

The fact that her co-workers wanted to help her doesn't negate her right to privacy. (Sorry, just my legal background rearing it's ugly head)

This incident has nothing to do with being overweight and having lap band surgery.

Instead of being assertive and telling people it is none of their business, or it's a private matter she chose to lie. Just because someone asks you something personal about yourself, you are not obliged to give an answer and neither do you have to lie just to satisfy them with an answer.

The money came from a fund, not from her fellow employees having a bake sale. You apply, you present your case and you are awarded money if there is a need. The same with the vacation being donated to her. I would be REALLY pissed if I donated a few days of my paid leave only to find out they lied about why they needed them. No matter if I would have donated if I knew the real reason, by lying she took away my choice to give her my leave.

You cannot be discriminated against because of health reasons. You can be fired for lying and taking money under false pretenses.

Think about that $1000 she took from that fund. How would you feel if your child fell ill and you needed some money to make ends meet and you found out someone took the last $1000 available from the fund and they had lied about their circumstances?

This whole thing makes me so angry.

She is giving the band a bad name and I can't believe she would go to this extreme to lie about having it.

See article;

Surgery in Mexico

Nelson, 38, worked as a Portland school police officer for 81/2 years before the unit merged with Portland police in 2001. In July 2006, she was at the East Precinct when she and a fellow officer were talking in the locker room about weight-loss surgery.

My two cents for what it's worth. I work extensively with the police here and have for many, many years. I actually had a conversation with a Detective just last week about lapbands. Out of that conversation I learned that police officers particularly street level cannot have one due to the physical component of their job function. For example, if they were in hand to hand it would put them at great risk. Imagine taking a shot to the port by some crackhead! Instead every District has a gym in their own building and Officers can sign out one paid hour per shift to work out provided they are prepared to go back out to the street if they are called upon in emergency.

The deceit issue comes into play because Officers are held to a higher standard than civilians and cops internally "Can forgive anything but a lie, even a lie by omission". They are duty bound to their integrity so it makes sense to me that there was backlash. In terms of the delegation of those funds I know locally that the decision is made by the Chief of Police and the President of the Police Union based upon the facts placed before them.

Having said that I can see why this person felt the need to protect the secrecy of her band but there is clearly more to this story than has been published.

Imagine taking a shot to the port by some crackhead!

For some reason when you said that I imagined the old cliche where the guy gets shot and the bullet is deflected by the bible/badge/whatever that the guy put in his pocket at the beginning of the movie.

For some reason when you said that I imagined the old cliche where the guy gets shot and the bullet is deflected by the bible/badge/whatever that the guy put in his pocket at the beginning of the movie.

Haha! Now, that's funny! I mean a foot or fist. (chuckling)

This topic has sparked alot of debate. I do not think her medical condition needed to be everyone's concern. She was truely sick and did need surgery. Those were the facts....the details were her bussiness. Overweight people get judged all the time. She has a right to keep some things private. Was she any less sick or deserving because it was as a result of banding? If she would have had Aids and did not want people to know it would have been looked at differently. I choose to tell people about my surgery, However I am guessing she wishes she had not been so open. This is why we have hepa laws and such. I personally feel she has grounds to sue. I do not know if she would win, but I could see a case on being mistreated for weight. And as far as the last 1000$ not being available for someone else...she did need it for a true medical condition. She was no less worthy because she was fat, went to Mexico, or tried to be private. Sick is Sick.

I wonder, if it had been a man who had a penile pump implanted (to help restore sexual function) - and caused a life threatening condition and needed to be removed... would he have been fired for wanting to keep the details under wraps?

Certain medical things are very personal and very embarrassing. And I don't care what people may think - there is no such thing as privacy in the workplace. EVERYTHING gets around.

I wonder, if it had been a man who had a penile pump implanted (to help restore sexual function) - and caused a life threatening condition and needed to be removed... would he have been fired for wanting to keep the details under wraps?

Certain medical things are very personal and very embarrassing. And I don't care what people may think - there is no such thing as privacy in the workplace. EVERYTHING gets around.

Very Interesting point.

I love reading all the differing opinions.