Protein Bomb ??

I was banded only 5 days ago now and since then i have had no compulsion to eat or feel hungry and only eat (should i say drink due to liquid diet) because

i have to. I battle due to the full sensation to drink 2 opitfast shakes and losing around a kilo per day (which is about 2.2 pounds) since being banded but i am concerned im not getting enough protein..ive heard of a protein bomb - what is a protein bomb??? i know the the opifast only has 17g of protein. Im still pretty new at all of this.. but don't want to run into any health concerns due to not consuming enough. ;)

Congrats on being banded, a "protein bomb" is a vial of liquid that is high in protein and low in calories and carbs!

They look like this: profect-protein-beverage-776386.jpg

Basically instead of drinking a whole shake or eating 2 chicken breasts you can get the same amount of protein in about 2 sips...

It might be a good idea for you now or maybe once a week later in your journey when you're feeling tight, but you run the risk of taking the "bomb" and finding yourself hungry later since it's just liquid that goes right through your pouch...

Congrats on being banded, a "protein bomb" is a vial of liquid that is high in protein and low in calories and carbs!

They look like this: profect-protein-beverage-776386.jpg

Basically instead of drinking a whole shake or eating 2 chicken breasts you can get the same amount of protein in about 2 sips...

It might be a good idea for you now or maybe once a week later in your journey when you're feeling tight, but you run the risk of taking the "bomb" and finding yourself hungry later since it's just liquid that goes right through your pouch...

Thanks so much mamaMichelle... i will do some research to see if i can get them here in Australia. Where would i buy them? Do you buy them in a pack or how do they come? Have you tried them before ? Sorry for my 100 questions xox

I just ordered some of these. I got 1 of each flavor, total 8 to try and see which flavor I like. They were $2.99 each. I just googled "Profect" and the website came up. I looked around and didn't find a better price, plus you get a 15% discount. Of course shipping is another thing, $12.00!! I am too lazy right now to go out and try to find them at stores here. I'm sure they are around but this for me was easy. I'll post when I try them as to which flavors I like. I read some great reviews and of course some ones that said they don't taste that great. We all have different tolerance levels of what we can swallow in the name of health.

We have a store here called Super Supplements and they have these Protein Bombs for about $3-$5 depending on the flavor and the amount of protein in them.

There is a chain of Supplement stores here in the US called GNC (their website is GNC.com) however I found better prices at local health/supplement stores the best way to find one near you is to look in a shopping center that is close to any large gym in your area...

Thank you all so much.. the support in this forum is amazing =D> =D> =D> =D>

After a little investigating Im not sure im able to get these here in Australia... :dash3: ! But i will keep trying, and if not i will see

if its possible to get them shipped here.

I have the Grape Flavored New Whey kind with 42g of protein, it tastes like kids grape cough syrup... I take 1/2 a vial 4 days a week after my workout it's not the worse thing in the world, you take it like a shot so it's down the hatch before you really even get a taste of it...

newwhey42.1.jpg

G'day mate!

You made a bonza decision getting the band. (I've got a wonderful friend in SA, near Adelaide, and she's taught me ALL the best terms, including 'crikey'.)

Another possibility for you is to look for a nutrition store nearby. We have them here, called GNC (General nutrition company) and they sell all sorts of food supplements. A store like this one should have that product, or at least a parallel product that would accomplish the same objective.

About the questions... no worries.... keep right on asking them!

Bill

G'day mate!

You made a bonza decision getting the band. (I've got a wonderful friend in SA, near Adelaide, and she's taught me ALL the best terms, including 'crikey'.)

Another possibility for you is to look for a nutrition store nearby. We have them here, called GNC (General nutrition company) and they sell all sorts of food supplements. A store like this one should have that product, or at least a parallel product that would accomplish the same objective.

About the questions... no worries.... keep right on asking them!

Bill

Hey Bill... gee read a few of your posts.. sounds like the girls give you a hard time... or should i say the other way around (only kidding)

Ive been banded now 6 days... and feeling pretty good, had a bit of a scare tonight with a small amount of no fat custard...i ate tooo fast... i totally forgot slow,

slow, slow ....thought it was going to bring it back up but i managed to keep it down :lb16:

I feel pretty blessed to have found such forum... Ive read and learnt so much here already... unfortunately there is not alot of support for ppl that have banding

here in Oz, well not that ive found yet anyway.

Hubby went to a big GNC in the city today but was told due to the FDA laws here in Oz we don't have liquid protein :punish: although he found Musashi Protein Powder which has about 31g of protein per serve... just not to sure if i can add it to my opti-fast - will give it go and see what happens - cross ur fingers for me :i-m_so_happy:

A word about the protein bomb!

I brought one to the local weight loss center's monthly group meeting (I got my procedure done here in Detroit as part of a larger group that also does gastric bypass), and the staff dietitians has a warning about these things! A few things concern them, they'd just read a newly published paper on the use of these things for patients with weight loss surgery:

1. Some of them have 25g of protein, others have 42g of protein. Might as well go for the 25g ones, as the research shows you typically don't digest more than that over the span of a couple hours anyway. Half of the 42g vial will basically pass out of you before you get a chance to digest it.

2. The protein used in these vials is collagen-based, and is NOT whey protein. The paper they quoted to me said that it does not provide the same kind of replacement protein as whey-based drinks (either milk-whey or soy-whey). So not only can you not really digest all of it, it's not performing as well as other kinds of protein drinks would.

In a nutshell, my dietitian said that these things are useful as supplements to your diet, but should not replace all of your protein intake, as they may not work as well as whey-based drinks according to the research. I take one 25g one a day, just because it's quick & easy to do so, and does help guarantee I get more than enough protein. But don't drink three vials a day and think "Okay, now I have my 60g+ of protein a day, I'm out of the woods!"

Just passing along what I was told. Good luck!

I have the Grape Flavored New Whey kind with 42g of protein, it tastes like kids grape cough syrup... I take 1/2 a vial 4 days a week after my workout it's not the worse thing in the world, you take it like a shot so it's down the hatch before you really even get a taste of it...

newwhey42.1.jpg

These are the one's I am taking also and they are not bad, and it's easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got my "bombs". A variety of 8 flavors to try. So far I've had 3 of them. The do go down as there is only like 2.9 ounces total in them. My opinion is they taste just ok. They have sort of a weird smell and the taste is almost somewhat "mediciny" but in a weird way. Not terrible but they leave a weird after taste also. I don't think I'll buy anymore unless in the remaining 5 flavors I find one that covers this "weird" taste/smell up better. I guess I rate them about a 4 out of 10 for flavor and palatability.

interesting info from bragman. i tried to get these at gnc here in canada and they'd never even heard of "protein bombs". the store manager told me that if we don't get them but the u.s. does, it's likely they have not been approved in canada. she also mentioned that anything that gives you a surge of protein is pretty much useless because we absorb a small amount of it and after 2-3 hours what is not absorbed is passed. she said we're far better to space any protein supplement throughout the day.

interesting info from bragman. i tried to get these at gnc here in canada and they'd never even heard of "protein bombs". the store manager told me that if we don't get them but the u.s. does, it's likely they have not been approved in canada. she also mentioned that anything that gives you a surge of protein is pretty much useless because we absorb a small amount of it and after 2-3 hours what is not absorbed is passed. she said we're far better to space any protein supplement throughout the day.

You're right Julie. I don't drink all the 25gms at once. I have divided it into 2 servings or even just sipped it throughout the day. I need any help I can get to get the protein in. But I don't think these are for me, yet. As I said I've got 5 more flavors but if they all have the "mediciney" smell/taste I won't buy more.

just a note I bought mine online. I just typed in the brand name and up popped several places to purchase them.

:rolleyes: gnc carries what they call the protein bullet..it comes in 24 and 42 grams of protein. I buy the 42 gram one in the fruit punch flavor and mix half of it with crystal lite fruit punch and you dont even taste the buulet, i drink the other half in the evening so i get my 42 grams out of one bullet per day, i also use the 100% whey protein powder in the chocolate flavor, it has 29 grams per scoop...check i tout these are lifesavors for me!! also remember if you are not getting enough protein then you will not lose weight..i learned that the hard way, thats how i learned about the bullet and when i dont use them then my weight stops coming off!!

I was banded only 5 days ago now and since then i have had no compulsion to eat or feel hungry and only eat (should i say drink due to liquid diet) because

i have to. I battle due to the full sensation to drink 2 opitfast shakes and losing around a kilo per day (which is about 2.2 pounds) since being banded but i am concerned im not getting enough protein..ive heard of a protein bomb - what is a protein bomb??? i know the the opifast only has 17g of protein. Im still pretty new at all of this.. but don't want to run into any health concerns due to not consuming enough. ;)