What to expect from start to finish in TJ

I know before surgery I was so nervous and I wanted to know EVERYTHING! So here it is folks. It is long, but it covers everything. This is only MY experience and I know others may have had things go differently. Here goes...

I did surgery and pre-op in the same day. A guy named Francisco will hold a sign up for you at the airport. You may wait for other patients to arrive then you hop in the shuttle van and go to the hotel - which takes about 25 minutes. The border crossing is no problem, you just drive right through. The hotel is nice, but modest. I think that was the only aspect that left me a little underwhelmed. You check in and they have you already reserved. You may be asked to put a 50$ deposit on a credit card for any extras. The driver will tell you when to meet back in the lobby the next morining. The lobby and restaurant are nice, but the rooms are basic. Not shabby or anything, just not the "5 star" type. I had a meal in the restaurant the night before. I sort of regreted that because my nerves were so bad I pretty much was up all night on the toilet. Sorry, gross.

But I was terrified, which is so silly! I woke up every hour staring at the clock dreading the next day -- for nothing!

So at 8 the next morning we met Mrs. Ortiz, a sharp dressed, beautiful older woman. There were a few other patients waiting as well. She took as to the clinic and would come back for our husbands. Once at the clinic you'll do some paperwork and then lots of sitting and waiting. You can chat with other patients or read a magazine. I mostly chatted with my nerves! You'll have some blood drawn at they will put a little IV cap in you so you don't have to be pricked again. Then you'll meet with Dr.Miranda the nutritionist. Then you'll meet with a doctor who'll ask you some questions and do an ekg. After that you're cleared for surgery and you just wait your turn.

They will have you come back to your room. Nice, a little fountain, TV, adjustable bed, window. They give you a muscle relaxant and antibiotic. You'll get into the hospital gown, paper panties (ha!) and a nurse will come in and help you put on the compression hose. After about 20 minutes you feel very relaxed and at ease. Not loopy or anything, but just relaxed and comfortable.

Dr. Ortiz will come and chat with you for a few minutes. Then another nurse will come and get you, you walk into the OR and have you lay down on the table. I had so little nervousness at this point - and it was the part I was most scared about! I just closed my eyes and I drifted off. The anesthesia is IV, so there is no mask on your face or anything obtrusive. The next thing I remember they were gently lifting me back onto my bed. They said "Take a deep breath!" and I was awake and being wheeled back into my room. Since I was still feeling some anesthesia it feels like your arms and legs are asleep. Not scary, just felt like I was in quicksand. But very relaxed and peaceful - just not moving much. But able to breathe and open my eyes. They rest an oxygen mask on your chin and you breathe in and feel increasingly more alert.

Just as soon as I could, I got up and made a wobly walk with my IV to dissipate any gas pains. I was determined to avoid that - and I DID! I shuffled around looking silly but I felt so much better for doing it. Then I drifted in and out of sleep, each time I woke I took a little lap around the clinic with the others. We all encouraged each other, which was great. Don't be shy, talk to the others and help each other get outta bed and get walking!

Later the nurse gives you ice and popsicles. Which after all that time with no water, is awesome. You are receiveing IV fluids the whole time but the liquid in your mouth is wonderful!

The nurses, Carmelita and Jose (sp?) are both the sweetest ladies. Their english is scant but they are fully aware of what you are going through and languauge is not an issue.

Around 6pm, your companion/husband, etc, is taken back to the hotel. You have a phone in your room and can call the US, also there are 2 computers. At 10, you are given a little something to help you sleep. It is very gentle and you sleep soundly. The bed is totally adjustable so you will be able to get settled with no pain. I slept so good, and Carmelita was on call if you need anything. She is with you all night long. I felt totally cared for and comfortable. I think it is great they keep you for the night. The IV fluids, comfy bed, and quiet healing atmosphere were great for recovery.

In the morning, you're encouraged to take a shower and prep to be dishcarged. Dr. Ortiz or Martinez will come by and chat with you about any concerns. The nurse will remove your IV and give you some pain meds for a few days. Mrs. Ortiz will give you a ride back to the hotel. (Your companion will still be at the hotel) I was a little hazy and sleepy but I felt great overall.

We walked around TJ a bit - you're in a nice part of town, have no fear doing some walking during the day or night. Then I slept on and off, again, getting up for little walks. I had some broth from the restaurant and hot tea - but not very hungry. The night was fine in the hotel bed, I propped myself up a bit but no biggie. Mrs. Ortiz will call you that evening to let you know when you'll go to the airport. The next morning Fransisco takes you across the border, a little longer wait, you show some ID, no big deal. And that's it! I had no shoulder pain or really any big pain at all. Just an "awareness" like doing too many crunches. Take the pain meds they give you - don't wait to feel pain. That was my tactic anyway.

Hope this helps!

I know before surgery I was so nervous and I wanted to know EVERYTHING! So here it is folks. It is long, but it covers everything. This is only MY experience and I know others may have had things go differently. Here goes...

<snip>

Thanks, Claire. While I pretty much had expected everything you said, it still is a very helpful post. I'm here in TJ right now, and tomorrow's the big day!

One thing you wouldn't have experienced is... what about those traveling solo? Do we check out of the hotel on the day of surgery or not? I think we do, so I'll prepare accordingly.

Thanks, Claire. While I pretty much had expected everything you said, it still is a very helpful post. I'm here in TJ right now, and tomorrow's the big day!

One thing you wouldn't have experienced is... what about those traveling solo? Do we check out of the hotel on the day of surgery or not? I think we do, so I'll prepare accordingly.

You do check out of the hotel :) Best wishes! Chelley

They do have you check out of the hotel, but if you really don't want to (if you've been shopping at lot!) just let Mrs. Ortiz know when she picks you up and let them know at the front desk. The hotel prefers if you check out if the room is empty, but will make exceptions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this helps!

Claire, I will be there in 3 weeks and your account is very helpful and comprehensive.

Thank you!

Kevin

So glad to help Kevin. You'll do great. Don't worry about a thing! Keep us posted on your progress.

Claire - Your account is a great help. How are you progressing? Has the post-op been as you expected or have you had any surprises?

My wife is unable to accompany me due to work schedule (her assistant just lost her 22 year old son in a auto accident and a co-worker had a stroke at 34 years of age all on same day) so she has to shoulder more responsibilities for awhile. So I invited my mother who is an RN to accompany me down to TJ. She is comfortable in the clinical environment which I want to rub off on me as this is the first time i've had a surgical procedure.

19 days to go and less nervous thanks to Claire!

CalKev, post-op has been fine - np problems. Those first few days you feel so many gurgles and air bubbles in your belly. It can be really noisy. Don't let that scare you, it is normal. I was fine on liquids for about 10 days but then I got really hungry so I started doing chunky soups blended to liquid. Then I added some thinned out mashed potatoes and things like that. Sort of watery mushies. I know that is NOT the way they like us to progress. They want 3 weeks of liquids, period. But I cheated a little -- I was so weak and hungry! Since I've moved to solids I've found I have quite a bit of restriction with solids, which is great. I hope it lasts for awhile beofre I need the first fill.

Physically, I was definitely sleepy several days after surgery. I had taken a few days off and I loved just resting. My port was sore for about 19 days. You'd be surprised how much you use your ab muscles so avoiding that can be tricky. I took liquid Tylenol a few times and that was fine. Oh yeah, and they give you some pain killers for a few days. Take them. Don't wait until you feel pain. Take them on schedule, every 12 hours.

But overall it has been really easy. Hardly anyone knows I had surgery. The first week back at work I wore a baggy sweater so I could let my belly hang out. Sucking it in is pretty impossible!

Ask any other questions you like!

CalKev, post-op has been fine - np problems. Those first few days you feel so many gurgles and air bubbles in your belly. It can be really noisy. Don't let that scare you, it is normal. I was fine on liquids for about 10 days but then I got really hungry so I started doing chunky soups blended to liquid. Then I added some thinned out mashed potatoes and things like that. Sort of watery mushies. I know that is NOT the way they like us to progress. They want 3 weeks of liquids, period. But I cheated a little -- I was so weak and hungry! Since I've moved to solids I've found I have quite a bit of restriction with solids, which is great. I hope it lasts for awhile beofre I need the first fill.

Physically, I was definitely sleepy several days after surgery. I had taken a few days off and I loved just resting. My port was sore for about 19 days. You'd be surprised how much you use your ab muscles so avoiding that can be tricky. I took liquid Tylenol a few times and that was fine. Oh yeah, and they give you some pain killers for a few days. Take them. Don't wait until you feel pain. Take them on schedule, every 12 hours.

But overall it has been really easy. Hardly anyone knows I had surgery. The first week back at work I wore a baggy sweater so I could let my belly hang out. Sucking it in is pretty impossible!

Ask any other questions you like!

Claire

Kevin,

I have just returned from surgery... done on 9/28 and Dr Miranda will tell you no ab crunches for 3 months but you can start regular exercises in 3 weeks..

As Claire said walk as early and as much as you can..

I was very fortunate not to have gas or shoulder pain.

I have just arrived home after a 12 hour trip from the clinic and I will admit I am a little tender..

so I am off to take some tylenol and to sleep / Good luck with everything and keep your positive attitude.

Peggy

I did surgery and pre-op in the same day. A guy named Francisco will hold a sign up for you at the airport. You may wait for other patients to arrive then you hop in the shuttle van and go to the hotel - which takes about 25 minutes. The border crossing is no problem, you just drive right through. The hotel is nice, but modest. I think that was the only aspect that left me a little underwhelmed. You check in and they have you already reserved. You may be asked to put a 50$ deposit on a credit card for any extras. The driver will tell you when to meet back in the lobby the next morining. The lobby and restaurant are nice, but the rooms are basic. Not shabby or anything, just not the "5 star" type. I had a meal in the restaurant the night before. I sort of regreted that because my nerves were so bad I pretty much was up all night on the toilet. Sorry, gross.

But I was terrified, which is so silly! I woke up every hour staring at the clock dreading the next day -- for nothing!

So at 8 the next morning we met Mrs. Ortiz, a sharp dressed, beautiful older woman. There were a few other patients waiting as well. She took as to the clinic and would come back for our husbands. Once at the clinic you'll do some paperwork and then lots of sitting and waiting. You can chat with other patients or read a magazine. I mostly chatted with my nerves! You'll have some blood drawn at they will put a little IV cap in you so you don't have to be pricked again. Then you'll meet with Dr.Miranda the nutritionist. Then you'll meet with a doctor who'll ask you some questions and do an ekg. After that you're cleared for surgery and you just wait your turn.

They will have you come back to your room. Nice, a little fountain, TV, adjustable bed, window. They give you a muscle relaxant and antibiotic. You'll get into the hospital gown, paper panties (ha!) and a nurse will come in and help you put on the compression hose. After about 20 minutes you feel very relaxed and at ease. Not loopy or anything, but just relaxed and comfortable.

Dr. Ortiz will come and chat with you for a few minutes. Then another nurse will come and get you, you walk into the OR and have you lay down on the table. I had so little nervousness at this point - and it was the part I was most scared about! I just closed my eyes and I drifted off. The anesthesia is IV, so there is no mask on your face or anything obtrusive. The next thing I remember they were gently lifting me back onto my bed. They said "Take a deep breath!" and I was awake and being wheeled back into my room. Since I was still feeling some anesthesia it feels like your arms and legs are asleep. Not scary, just felt like I was in quicksand. But very relaxed and peaceful - just not moving much. But able to breathe and open my eyes. They rest an oxygen mask on your chin and you breathe in and feel increasingly more alert.

Just as soon as I could, I got up and made a wobly walk with my IV to dissipate any gas pains. I was determined to avoid that - and I DID! I shuffled around looking silly but I felt so much better for doing it. Then I drifted in and out of sleep, each time I woke I took a little lap around the clinic with the others. We all encouraged each other, which was great. Don't be shy, talk to the others and help each other get outta bed and get walking!

Later the nurse gives you ice and popsicles. Which after all that time with no water, is awesome. You are receiveing IV fluids the whole time but the liquid in your mouth is wonderful!

The nurses, Carmelita and Jose (sp?) are both the sweetest ladies. Their english is scant but they are fully aware of what you are going through and languauge is not an issue.

Around 6pm, your companion/husband, etc, is taken back to the hotel. You have a phone in your room and can call the US, also there are 2 computers. At 10, you are given a little something to help you sleep. It is very gentle and you sleep soundly. The bed is totally adjustable so you will be able to get settled with no pain. I slept so good, and Carmelita was on call if you need anything. She is with you all night long. I felt totally cared for and comfortable. I think it is great they keep you for the night. The IV fluids, comfy bed, and quiet healing atmosphere were great for recovery.

In the morning, you're encouraged to take a shower and prep to be dishcarged. Dr. Ortiz or Martinez will come by and chat with you about any concerns. The nurse will remove your IV and give you some pain meds for a few days. Mrs. Ortiz will give you a ride back to the hotel. (Your companion will still be at the hotel) I was a little hazy and sleepy but I felt great overall.

We walked around TJ a bit - you're in a nice part of town, have no fear doing some walking during the day or night. Then I slept on and off, again, getting up for little walks. I had some broth from the restaurant and hot tea - but not very hungry. The night was fine in the hotel bed, I propped myself up a bit but no biggie. Mrs. Ortiz will call you that evening to let you know when you'll go to the airport. The next morning Fransisco takes you across the border, a little longer wait, you show some ID, no big deal. And that's it! I had no shoulder pain or really any big pain at all. Just an "awareness" like doing too many crunches. Take the pain meds they give you - don't wait to feel pain. That was my tactic anyway.

Hope this helps!

thank you so much Claire , you are very helpful, i am so glad to hear the anesthesia is IV. I am not as scared now. I had gallstones removed last dec. and i am still a little tender in the abdomen so i worry. It was an open procedure. All my adipose tissue did not help matters. How are you now? I hope you are able to comply with the regimen without too much white knuckling. I pray i am able to comply and not get too grouchy and bitchy. My friend cheated and vomited a lot. I don't want to do that. So write back and let me know how you are. thank you for your comprehensive report. WHAT A HELP. Elaine, florida

WHEN SANDY AND I WENT DOWN, I TOOK A FEW PICTURES OF THE CLINIC ETC

http://www.webshots.com/homepage.html

JUST USE MY USER NAME, NELSENETC, AND THE PASSWORD IS ORTIZ EVERYTHINGS IN CAPS IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. THEN CLICK ON "MY SHOTS", THEN "ALBUM". I DID ADD REMARKS AS TO WHO IS WHO, IF I REMEMBERED EVERYONE RIGHT I JUST WISH I WOULD'VE TAKEN MORE PICTURES OF THE STAFF. WE GO DOWN THIS WEEK FOR OUR FIRST FILL, I'LL TRY AND GET A FEW MORE PICTURES :)

JUST USE MY USER NAME, NELSENETC, AND THE PASSWORD IS ORTIZ EVERYTHINGS IN CAPS IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. THEN CLICK ON "MY SHOTS", THEN "ALBUM". I DID ADD REMARKS AS TO WHO IS WHO, IF I REMEMBERED EVERYONE RIGHT I JUST WISH I WOULD'VE TAKEN MORE PICTURES OF THE STAFF. WE GO DOWN THIS WEEK FOR OUR FIRST FILL, I'LL TRY AND GET A FEW MORE PICTURES :)

Great pics Pammie. I'm flying down tomorrow and it's great to have a visual of what to expect.

Hi ClaireinCO,

Have a question for you....I am getting banded Oct 12th and I've ready your story...great by the way, would you recommend a gown for after surgery or would pants pj's be ok? I'm not exactly sure where the incisions will be and from the pictures I've seen of other bandsters, they all had gown pj's on. Thought I'd ask you as well? Thanks for your story!!

Nicole

Nicole, I had the same concerns as you regarding what to take to the clinic, my robe, pj pants, etc. I asked a lot of questions, and ended up not taking anything. I had a friend staying back at the hotel, so I left my suitcase with her, and brought my book, and MP3 player in a backpack. It was more than enough.

They give you a nice long hospital gown that completely covers everything. There was no reason to change. Everyone else there looked the same, so why not. I brought elastic pants for the whole trip, not knowing what to expect as far as where the incisions would be. You would have to wear your pants very, very, very high (like Steve Erkel) for them to both the incisions. My lowest incision is a good 6 inches above my belly button. However, for me, there was one smaller incision that was right under my bra. It was kind of uncomfortable, not terrible though, on the way home and for the next week. I ended up putting a bandaid over it so that it wouldn't rub, and wearing my exercise bra when I got home. Just an idea.

Becki

Nicole, I had the same concerns as you regarding what to take to the clinic, my robe, pj pants, etc. I asked a lot of questions, and ended up not taking anything. I had a friend staying back at the hotel, so I left my suitcase with her, and brought my book, and MP3 player in a backpack. It was more than enough.

They give you a nice long hospital gown that completely covers everything. There was no reason to change. Everyone else there looked the same, so why not. I brought elastic pants for the whole trip, not knowing what to expect as far as where the incisions would be. You would have to wear your pants very, very, very high (like Steve Erkel) for them to both the incisions. My lowest incision is a good 6 inches above my belly button. However, for me, there was one smaller incision that was right under my bra. It was kind of uncomfortable, not terrible though, on the way home and for the next week. I ended up putting a bandaid over it so that it wouldn't rub, and wearing my exercise bra when I got home. Just an idea.

Becki

Becki - any suggestions for what a man and women should bring to wear for comfort once back at hotel?

Kevin

I changed into some loose PJ pants and a shirt after surgery. I was more comfy in my own clothes, personally. But you can keep the gown on if you want. Definitely bring loose fitting stuff with you for the trip back. Sports bra is great for a woman, or better yet, go without a bra entirely! Fellas, loose elastic shorts --

OH and slip-on shoes, bending over to tie your shoes is pretty tough the first few days!

And Kev..

Forget those disposable thongs....I did not even try to put those on...

Becki

Thanks for the tips.

Nicole

Pammie

thanks for sharing the pictures! wonderful --I was just wondering in the picture of one of you in the operating room lying on the table it shows possible a tube out of your mouth or Sandys? is that what i am seeing or is it something else? I was just wondering cause besides babies I have never had anything major done and my surgery is now 2 weeks fro tommorow and I am VERY NERVOUS :blink::unsure: I was thinking they just make you happy and put you to sleep and then you wake up a few hours later?

Pammie

thanks for sharing the pictures! wonderful --I was just wondering in the picture of one of you in the operating room lying on the table it shows possible a tube out of your mouth or Sandys? is that what i am seeing or is it something else? I was just wondering cause besides babies I have never had anything major done and my surgery is now 2 weeks fro tommorow and I am VERY NERVOUS :blink::unsure: I was thinking they just make you happy and put you to sleep and then you wake up a few hours later?

THAT'S ME, I WAS ON CLOUD NINE JUMPING OFF THE WALLS I WAS SO HYPER BEFORE SURGERY. LOL, "HELLOOOOO SOMEONE BETTER COME GET ME NEXT OR I'M LEAVING FOR A BEER AND A SMOKE" "GET TO YOUR ROOM PAM" "NO, I'M BORED IN THERE" AND OFF TO SANDY'S ROOM THEN BACK TO MINE LOL I WAS ALL OVER. (STILL NO SMOKES SINCE AUG 13)

THEY PUT SOMETHING IN MY MOUTH AND 2 SECONDS LATER I WAS OUT LIKE A LIGHT. I WAKE UP RIGHT AFTER SURGERY AND I WALKED OUT TO THE LOBBY, WITH A NURSE, TO MEET A GAL THAT HAD JUST ARRIVED FOR SURGERY THE NEXT DAY THAT I'D TALKED TO ON LINE. DID A LITTLE JIG AND BACK TO MY ROOM, FOR 10 SECONDS LOL SEE......... PIECE OF CAKE :)

I'LL TAKE A FEW MORE PICTURES THIS WEEK AS WE'RE GOING BACK FOR OUR FIRST FILL "WE'RE BACKKKK, BE PREPARED" LOL WE HAD SO MUCH FUN, I'D NEVER LAUGHED SO HARD AND BOY DID THAT HURT LIKE HELL LOL

PS I'D NEVER HAD SURGERY BEFORE THIS EITHER :)

Kevin,

For me, I wore sweats the whole time. I wanted something loose around the stomach, partly just for comfort in traveling, but also in bed and stuff. And I wore T-shirts. I really didn't have a problem with my clothes at all, except for maybe the bra, but that wouldn't bother you. I was a little sensitive, but it really felt to me that I had done a lots (and I mean a lot) of crunches. I had no general pain, just soreness when I moved. It was a little hard to sit up (I twisted to one side), or to role over, but you manage pretty well. When I held still, there was no pain for me. I never took the medicine they gave me when I left the clinic, and I never took any Tylenol either. For me, the worst part was the gas pains. I did really well at the clinic and in the hotel, I kept walking. But the day I traveled home, they got me. I was really working at drinking a lot, but I wasn't moving much. So I would recommend walking quite a bit before and after your flight, or during a layover, and maybe watching what you drink on the plane. Once I got home, I walked up and down my street (it's short), maybe twice, and I felt great again (after some LOUD belches!!) Clothes really were not an issue though, and I really stressed about that before surgery. Just bring something you are comfortable in and can sleep in. You might want to nap.

Good luck, I'll be thinking about you.

Becki