Nervous about First Fill

I go Thursday for my first fill. It is hard to believe that it has been six weeks since I was banded, but it is time.

I have to admit that I am TERRIFIED of needles and this will be the worst part of being banded for me. How have you gotten over the fear of seeing that big needle they use for fills? I am not sure how I will deal with it. I am praying I will deal with it ok.

So far my weight loss has been good, but I don't have any restriction so a fill will be a great thing. I really want restriction. (So, I will face my fear of needles.) Any suggestions?

I go Thursday for my first fill. It is hard to believe that it has been six weeks since I was banded, but it is time.

I have to admit that I am TERRIFIED of needles and this will be the worst part of being banded for me. How have you gotten over the fear of seeing that big needle they use for fills? I am not sure how I will deal with it. I am praying I will deal with it ok.

So far my weight loss has been good, but I don't have any restriction so a fill will be a great thing. I really want restriction. (So, I will face my fear of needles.) Any suggestions?

Hi Elaine C,

I just had my first fill three days ago, and even though I really hate having needles, I pushed myself to go through it, nonetheless. Before I went, I made a decision not to look when he put the needle in, and instead, I pictured myself at my goal weight and then I started counting back from 1000 until he was done (needless to say, I didn't get very far but the exercise worked for me).

Just to let you know, I haven't found much of a difference after my first fill (my doctor put in 1.2 cc's -- I have a 4 cc band), but my new lap band doctor, here, told me that's normal. He said that it takes a couple of fills before the body starts to feel any real degree of restriction. Also, he said they usually don't put in anymore than about 1 cc. at a time (I'm not sure what the equivalent amount would be for a 10 cc band), as it takes the body time to get used to the change and adjust.

As for the fear, just keep telling yourself to concentrate on the positive side of the experience, rather than think about all the negative stuff that surrounds it. Thinking about the pain will only bring on more pain. Thinking about how you're going to look when this is all done, will bring you happiness.

You can go through it all and downplay all the negative stuff. I know you can! If I can go through it, anyone can!!!!!

Hang in there, Elaine!!!

- (1jmk) Janet

Hi Elaine, I have my first fill tommorrow..and I am not fond of needles either. Everyone has said it doesn't hurt at all, so I'll just turn away!!

Good Luck!

Good Luck, Cathy. This one has been a long time coming for you. I really hope it helps curb some of your hunger. I know how hard it's been for you lately.

Take care and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! Let me know how it went for you, when you get the chance.

- (1jmk) Janet.

Good Luck, Cathy. This one has been a long time coming for you. I really hope it helps curb some of your hunger. I know how hard it's been for you lately.

Take care and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! Let me know how it went for you, when you get the chance.

- (1jmk) Janet.

Thanks Janet, it's at 3:30 this afternoon, I will let you know how it goes!!

Hi Elaine;

Girl no worries... Find a happy place to think about it and talk, talk, talk. I don't care for needles myself either, I work with them everyday but don't care to have them used on me. I've had 3 fills and each time I talked the ladies head off before she stuck me and thought about laying on the beach at 140 one day!!! Worked everytime!!! Good luck!

I had my first fill on Monday of this week and it went great! I'm not really afraid of needles, but I don't like to watch them enter my body either, HA!

My doctor had me lie down on a table and pull my head up as if I was about to do a situp right before he inserted the needle. I closed my eyes and then once it was in, he told me to put my head back down. Once the fill was in, he told me I would feel a slight pull as he removed the needle, and that was it. The entire process took less than 20 seconds.

It really did not hurt at all, so just try imagining something wonderful and close your eyes. You'll be fine!

Denise

I promise it does not hurt. ;) Maybe it is where it is located? I dunno..but I have never even felt the needle go in.

I finally had my first fill, 1cc in a 4cc band. It was virtually painless. I was pretty nervous so was pleasantly surprised. He got the port on the first try. Having blood taken probably hurts more (if you classify that as hurting). Don't worry you will be fine.

Cheryl

I have a huge needle phobia and I have had 3 fills so far. It doesn't get any easier for me, but I let whoever does it know that I am afraid of the needles and they don't let me see it at all. I close my eyes tight and do breathing exercises and I do fine. It doesn't really hurt at all, but just the thought of the needle scares the C--P out of me. When I had the flouro done at OCC I came close to passing out because I had to sit up for the flouro and the needle sticking out of my tummy at the time really freaked me out and I had a panic attack and got dizzy, etc. I have had 2 blind fills since (with no flouro) and I do fine with that cause I am lying down and can't see anything. They also numb it for me prior to the stick so if it takes more than once I won't feel anything. Good Luck!

It is easy, peezy, hun... Just close your eyes or watch the screen. The pictures are facinating!

Hi Elaine, I have my first fill tommorrow..and I am not fond of needles either. Everyone has said it doesn't hurt at all, so I'll just turn away!!

Good Luck!

Cathy, I cannot WAIT to hear how your fill went and hear you cheer for yourself afterwards. You are a special woman and deserve the best.

Big hugs and happy thoughts!

I have a huge needle phobia and I have had 3 fills so far. It doesn't get any easier for me, but I let whoever does it know that I am afraid of the needles and they don't let me see it at all. I close my eyes tight and do breathing exercises and I do fine. It doesn't really hurt at all, but just the thought of the needle scares the C--P out of me. When I had the flouro done at OCC I came close to passing out because I had to sit up for the flouro and the needle sticking out of my tummy at the time really freaked me out and I had a panic attack and got dizzy, etc. I have had 2 blind fills since (with no flouro) and I do fine with that cause I am lying down and can't see anything. They also numb it for me prior to the stick so if it takes more than once I won't feel anything. Good Luck!

I am getting my 3rd fill on Sept. 11th, and I am hoping that is the charm for a sweetspot. How are you doing since then?