any calgary fill folks out there?

hey. with the recent postings of traumatic first fills, i'm starting to feel a little nervous about my first fill (i'm almost at 3 weeks now). i really can't afford the 700 bucks it costs me to fly to san diego and go to occ, being from winnipeg, mb. but... i can hop on a westjet sale to calgary for 90 perway!

i'm looking to hear any reviews / experiences will fill in calgary so that i can weigh my options a little better. also, does anyone offer flouro there?

thanks for whatever info you have :D

hey. with the recent postings of traumatic first fills, i'm starting to feel a little nervous about my first fill (i'm almost at 3 weeks now). i really can't afford the 700 bucks it costs me to fly to san diego and go to occ, being from winnipeg, mb. but... i can hop on a westjet sale to calgary for 90 perway!

i'm looking to hear any reviews / experiences will fill in calgary so that i can weigh my options a little better. also, does anyone offer flouro there?

thanks for whatever info you have :D

Hi Happygirl02,

I just had a fill with Dr. DesCouteaux, and flouro wasn't needed. He's great and even though I was late (go figure, my first fill), he took time with me and explained everything he was going to do.

As mentioned, it cost $100.00, and I was in and out in no time. A little pain at the port site, but nothing like what I've been hearing.

Dr. DesCouteaux is wonderful and after looking into other people who had fills, most (by far) had them done without fluoro. Flouro is only needed when there's a problem, I was told, and the procedure was so easy and quick that I can't imagine why anyone would need fluoro (who's healthy and who hasn't had any major problems post-op).

Anyway, hope this helps.

(1jmk) Janet.

Hey all - glad I read your replies - I'm up in Fort Mac and am debating on going to either Edmonton or Calgary. Edmonton 4 hours, Calgary 8 --- but I have more things to do and see and friends to visit in Calgary so I'm going to take your advice and go to one of those Dr's. Hope everyone is having a good evening! ^_^

Hello, I just had my first fill with Dr. DesCouteaux and it was pretty painless. He got my port on the first try. He said it probably won't ever be a problem to find it. Thank you Dr. Ortiz!

I just got a notification that flights to San Diego are on sale right now with Air Canada for $135 one way (just until the 8th). Of course with tax you will still be paying around $500. Just thought I would throw that in but for sure don't be afraid to use Dr. DesCouteaux. The only drawback is I only got 1 cc and don't see much restriction yet.

Cheryl

hi all - thanks so much for the response! here's another question for you who have had fills with that doctor... did you have to pay an consultation with him before he'd accept you as a patient? i've heard of people having to pay upwards of $300 just to meet with the dr for a consult!

great info on the air canada sale - unfortunately that price is only from calgary - from winnipeg it's still 260 each way plus all the fees = $800 round trip!! :o

maybe that's not alot for a surgeon who rakes in $7000 x 9 patients / day ;) but its alot for me!!

I had the same impression. Very soft spoken and kind. I too have heard horror stories about people paying hundreds of dollars for the first appointment but with Dr. DesCouteaux it was a straight $100. Alberta Health Care covers the rest. I have heard rumors about some of the other doctors in Calgary charging a flat rate (much more than $100/fill if you ask me) so I have decided to stay with Dr. DesCouteaux unless I get a chance to go to Mexico and get a fill under Fluro. I would really like to see that everything is where it should be etc. Otherwise Dr. DesCouteaux is my choice. I liked him and for me that's important.

Cheryl