I have my 1st appointment Saturday and I'm scared....

I am very excited that I finally decided to do something more about my weight than yo-yo diet. I have my appointment on Saturday with a doctor in Beverly Hills. It seems that they have already called my Insurance as they emailed me a "Lap-band presentation" to watch. I will tell you that all the mention of death has scared me :( I am not scared of eating less and sticking to the diet it's the general anesthesia that REALLY scares me. Can you please reassure me? Thanks!

Hello and welcome!!

You will find most of us will say getting the lap band is a breeze, for many this was the first time they were ever put under and we all came out of it perfectly! The hard part is sticking to the pre and post op diets and waiting for that first fill!

We are a VERY supportive and OPEN group so feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Hello and welcome!!

You will find most of us will say getting the lap band is a breeze, for many this was the first time they were ever put under and we all came out of it perfectly! The hard part is sticking to the pre and post op diets and waiting for that first fill!

We are a VERY supportive and OPEN group so feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Thanks Michelle! I was actually just looking at your blog and you look great!

I have a question regarding recovery: realistically how long does it take you to be okay? I have a SUPER active toddler and I know there is no way I can sit for a whole week ;)

Most of us were banded in Tijuana Mexico by Dr. Ariel Ortiz (one of the most accomplished Lap-Band Surgeons in the world) and were up and shopping the very next day... Some people that were banded early on their day of surgery didn't even spend the night in the hospital (I was banded at 4pm so I stayed) but I felt great my son was 5 at the time and is also a handful but I had no issues keeping up with him. The only restriction you might have is they don't want you lifting over 25lbs for the first few weeks after being banded, so if you often carry your child you may have to explain to him/her that mommy can't pick them up for a little while!

I am very excited that I finally decided to do something more about my weight than yo-yo diet. I have my appointment on Saturday with a doctor in Beverly Hills. It seems that they have already called my Insurance as they emailed me a "Lap-band presentation" to watch. I will tell you that all the mention of death has scared me :( I am not scared of eating less and sticking to the diet it's the general anesthesia that REALLY scares me. Can you please reassure me? Thanks!

:lb14:

Hi, congratulations on taking this step. You will not regret it!

About the anesthesia, you will be fine. I have been "put to sleep" around 10 times and never had any problems whatsoever. The lap procedure is so fast they don't even have to put you very far under. You are up and walking very soon. This is very important for managing gas pains.

I have 4 kids (all 4 sections) so I have plenty of experience trying to recover with a little one around. To "carry" them downstairs I would sit down and have them climb on my lap and butt scoot all the way down. I would also bend down frequently and have them sit on my knee so I could hug them and be close. When you are sitting ask them to climb up on your lap. You have to get creative. Please don't risk a hernia though. The time will pass very quickly.

This forum is an awesome place to learn and get support. come back often.

:lb11:

Thank you so much for the reasurance Michelle! I would love to be banded by Dr. Ortiz but I am using my Insurance to cover the costs and I doubt they would cover anything outside the U.S. The office I have my appointment with is in Beverly Hills, I was also looking at another doctor in the O.C. so we will see who I feel most comfortable with.

Sandy, thanks for all the info! I have had 2 c-sections as well and was wondering about that aspect as well. How would you compare the post-op lap pain to the post op c-section? Also PLEAEEEEEESE tell me what going under feels like? I know...I bug... lol!

:lb14:

Hi, congratulations on taking this step. You will not regret it!

About the anesthesia, you will be fine. I have been "put to sleep" around 10 times and never had any problems whatsoever. The lap procedure is so fast they don't even have to put you very far under. You are up and walking very soon. This is very important for managing gas pains.

I have 4 kids (all 4 sections) so I have plenty of experience trying to recover with a little one around. To "carry" them downstairs I would sit down and have them climb on my lap and butt scoot all the way down. I would also bend down frequently and have them sit on my knee so I could hug them and be close. When you are sitting ask them to climb up on your lap. You have to get creative. Please don't risk a hernia though. The time will pass very quickly.

This forum is an awesome place to learn and get support. come back often.

:lb11:

Going under feels like being really drunk for about 3 seconds then you are out. It's not bad at all.

The pain of a c-section I would rate about a 7 out of 10 (10 when they make you sit up!) and lap band 3 sometimes but mostly not even that. It's the gas you need to be prepared for. Gas X strips and walk, walk, walk. If you manage that it will be a breeze.

Any other questions... just ask! I will get back to you as soon as I can.

the more you know about it the less nervous you will be so keep reading