Need Help with Questions!

Guest CaraMBA09

Guest CaraMBA09

Hi Everyone!

I am getting banded 9/15/08 at OCC and can barely tick off these next few weeks I am so terribly excited to be getting rid of my food addiction and getting my life back.

I have many, many questions. So I will start off with a few.

1. How soon after banding can you exercise? walking, running, lifting weights, etc....

2. For all you 'experienced' people out there...what are or have been your problem foods post-op?

any foods that you would never touch again? is there any favorites that go easy on the tummy?

3. alcohol? how much is allowed or is it tolerated by our tummies at all anymore?

Thanks everyone!

Cara

First of all welcome and it's great you found this forum. The big thing that sticks out to me is when you say it will be great to get rid of your food addiction. Wrong. That does not go away just because you are banded. You can eat many things that are not healthy choices..ice cream, cookies, chocolate, chips, and many things. You have to follow a very strict eating program which at times is nothing but willpower. At times yes the band will make you feel full but not right away. It takes at least 1,2 or up to 5 fills to get the right amount in to give you restriction. Many people for weeks after surgery have a tough time. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to sound negative, just realistic. I am very happy I got banded and would never change this but it takes alot more work than I ever imagined, even reading and learning all I could prior to banding. I even had a friend who had it done about 4 months before me so she was telling me everything. Anyway the answers to your questions are already within this forum. Just start reading all the posts and you'll find the answers. Spend some time doing this and then if you havn't come across the answer ask and we're glad to help.

RE: Exercise....walking only for 3 weeks post-op. No abdominal exercises for 3 months. This is the OCC's instructions.

:lb9:

Hi there,

Walking is great exercise from day one...no lifting for the first six weeks over 10 lbs and after that you can work on everything but abs. No crunches or sit ups or any ab work until 3 months post op to allow your port to heal.

Alcohol is empty calories, you can have it but you may find you get tipsy much faster!!

Good luck!!

Hi Cara,

You already got pretty good advice, so I won't repeat, but foods:

I can't eat scrambled eggs, which is killing me! I like my eggs dry so maybe if they were on the runny side it would work.

Salads go down pretty great and I put hard boiled egg in mine for added protein, it goes down just fine.

I love Maryland Cream of Crab soup and find myself eating it often.

Biggest thing is the speed at which you eat and the bite sizes you take. If you eat too fast or take too big of bites, almost everything will come back up.

In the mornings there have been 2 occassions even water wouldn't stay down.

Welcome!

Guest CaraMBA09

Thanks Kim for the specifics...I dont have alot of time to surf and surf for the answers...that is why I posted the topic. I was worried about salad...so you answered that and I will be sure to take smaller bites...lots of things to begin working on!

Cara

I get banded on the 19th of Sept, the waiting is a killer. I can't wait. I have been eating all the things I shouldnt but I want to kinda say goodbye to the foods that I should no longer eat. Kinda dumb I know. Keep me up to date of your progress, since I am right behind you on the band wagon, maybe we can keep track of eachother.

I get banded on the 19th of Sept, the waiting is a killer. I can't wait. I have been eating all the things I shouldnt but I want to kinda say goodbye to the foods that I should no longer eat. Kinda dumb I know.

You know Kim I did the same thing until I had to get serious with the pre-op diet. Don't wait too long to at least give it a half A** attempt. I think 2 weeks is so stressful as I remember to lose the weight you need to. Give yourself another week so you don't stress out about it. Yes it's very hard to actually stat it but you will feel so much better the week before if you've already lost most of your weight. Take it from the voice of experience.

I get banded on the 19th of Sept, the waiting is a killer. I can't wait. I have been eating all the things I shouldnt but I want to kinda say goodbye to the foods that I should no longer eat. Kinda dumb I know. Keep me up to date of your progress, since I am right behind you on the band wagon, maybe we can keep track of eachother.

Hi Stormy, I think most of us thought the same way, I ate like crazy after making the decision but then realized I had to make a complete lifestyle change and started eating healthy, it made the transition easier. You don't have to say good-bye to the foods you love, you can still have them after your banded, in moderation.

I plan on doing the "farewell tour" at all my favorite restaraunts as well. I have to be really careful and not go nuts though. After labor day weekend I am going to start really watching what I eat and not binge. That will give me over 1 mo b/c I have to lose almost 10 lbs before I get down there, and I don't want to be crash dieting at the last minute. I want to do it healthy!

Guest CaraMBA09

Cathy how right you are...the key has always been moderation...if I had done that years ago, I guess I would not be here right now. I am going to attempt to really buckle down and follow some type of regimen, it is like I keep reading over and over...the band works if we work it.

I have been a bit naughty this week. I usually do not have things like pasta, garlic bread, fried calamari, doritos, etc...(bad gallbladder and fatty liver)...but I have been a bit self indulgent knowing full well that much of this will not be on my 'happy' list when I am banded. My pants are actually tighter than they were last week. (big sigh)...I start my pre-op soon.

I do like my occassional cosmopolitan, martini and wine...all things in moderation, right? :P

~C