PBing

I was running around getting things ready for my holidays and grabbed a cheeseburger, had only 3 small bites, chewed well, but probably ate too fast, I got this wicked stuck pain in my chest, then the sliming started...OMG!!! I walked, I pounded my chest, spit in the bathroom sink over and over, the food finally passed, thank goodness nothing but slime came up.

I have definitely learned a valuable lesson...slow down!!!

My tummy is upset right now, should I go on liquids for the rest of the day?

Ouch! At least you know what to expect now! Sorry Cathy. :rolleyes:

Have a question...from reading posts i've gotten the jist of what PB'ing is (and hope it never happens!) but what does that stand for??

Thanks!!

pb-ing, stands for Productive Burping as lovely as it is.

"A commonly reported occurrence for banded patients is regurgitation of non-acidic swallowed food from the upper pouch, commonly known as Productive Burping (PBing).[citation needed] Productive Burping is not to be considered normal. The patient should consider eating less, eating more slowly, or chewing their food more thoroughly. Occasionally, the narrow passage into the larger / lower part of the stomach may become blocked by a large portion of unchewed or unsuitable foodstuff" -- good ol wikipedia...

Thank goodness I have only experienced PB'ing and not throwing up...yet! I have had some pretty bad PB episodes and it is just like you described. Walking around flapping my arms, pounding my chest, and whatever else I can think up to make the food settle down and go through. LOL :lol: Hate the sliming and the pain associated with it. It's an absolutely horrible feeling. I got very close to throwing up once, but some really strong brain power helped me not to, but I kinda felt that I may have felt better if I let myself do it. yuck!

It usually happens when I get too hungry and eat too fast, not chewing enough like the food tastes so good. Really need to stop doing that. It has also happened if I have been relaxing too deep watching tv or something and nearly dozing off, then a while later I get up and take a bite of something and BOOM! gets stuck. I usually get really mad when that happens because it doesn't make sense to me. Someday I will learn to listen to my body better during those times when it could happen again. ;)

Take care,

Judy

Thanks so much that helps a lot! Sooo looking forward to that! :o

That is one thing I am going to have to really focus on is slowing down my eating and chewing well. Sometimes I wonder if I even enjoy my food I shovel it in so fast. I have already started working on that.

Thanks again!!

• 3 weeks later...