Do I need a passport?

Hi! I am getting banded on the 28th of this month and some friends going with me do not have passports. Do they have to have one?

Thanks! Paige

I was banded on 8-31-06. I don't have a passport, but at the border they checked my driver's license and my birth certificate. However, new security law that goes into effect on Jan 1, 2007. Everyone entering the US from any country, after that date, including Canada and Mexico will have to have a passport.

Catherine

January 8, 2007: A passport will be required for re-entering the United States by air or sea, from the following destinations: Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Bermuda, in addition to all other foreign destinations that already require a passport.

December 31, 2007: The passport requirement will be extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

Just wanted to let any patients that are going to be going over to Mexico soon that they are now requiring a passport according the MSN news. I just read it today! They said the average cost for a passport is about 98 bucks (american dollars) and it takes up to 6 weeks to get it.

I guess the old drivers license and birth certificate wont work anymore... so I wonder what are we do until we do get the passport?

Of coarse, they never did look at my birth certificate mabye cause Fransico is a smooth operator for us to get across the boarder! Yeah Fransico!

Just wanted to let any patients that are going to be going over to Mexico soon that they are now requiring a passport according the MSN news. I just read it today! They said the average cost for a passport is about 98 bucks (american dollars) and it takes up to 6 weeks to get it.

I guess the old drivers license and birth certificate wont work anymore... so I wonder what are we do until we do get the passport?

Of coarse, they never did look at my birth certificate mabye cause Fransico is a smooth operator for us to get across the boarder! Yeah Fransico!

That's only if you fly directly into Mexico by air. They won't require a passport for ground travel until Jan 2008 so you have time :)

That's only if you fly directly into Mexico by air. They won't require a passport for ground travel until Jan 2008 so you have time :)

You are right! Thanks! Must be lack of food! :blink:

Ok...my sources say:

passport requried for air travel into Mexico in January 2007

passport requried for ground travel into Mexico required at the end of 2007, possibly not until January 2008.

I haven't heard that this has changed, but I'll keep you posted :)

US CUSTOMS IS ALWAYS A CLICK AWAY IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ANSWERED :) ALSO

THE US DEPARTMENT OF STATE WEB SITE. JUST KEEP THEM BOOKMARKED

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

This is drectly from the Border Patrol website (this is still in the proposal stage):

January 8, 2007 - Passports, MMDs or NEXUS Air cards would be required for all air travel, and most commercial sea travel, from within the Western Hemisphere for citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda. This is a change from the previously scheduled date of January 1, in order to accommodate holiday travel..

January 1, 2008 - The statutory deadline for all Western Hemisphere travel, including land border travel. The specific requirements for the land border crossing will be addressed in a separate rulemaking in advance of this date

when they update this information I will be notified and will let you know :)