Oprah Forum Post , I was touched.

was an obese teenager. And in spite of a lifetime of diets - losing and gaining all the while - I am an obese adult. I don't think that story is unique, in fact I think its a plague. I had gastric bypass surgery last October and my only regret is that I didn't have it sooner. At age 12 I was 5 feet tall and weighed well over 200 pounds. I was attending Weight Watchers at that age - the only young person in the class - but nothing helped for any length of time. Subsequently I have spent a lifetime of struggle, emotionally and physically. My self-esteem, my enjoyment of life, my health and well-being have all been damaged along the way. Now on the verge of turning 50 years old - I was finally able to make a permanent change with surgery. I wish it had been an option when I was young. I think it's even more difficult to lose weight if you have been overweight from a young age. It's possible that I never learned good habits, but I don't think it was for lack of me trying or my mom trying. My 3 siblings have no weight problems, never have. Isn't it also possible that the mechanism that tells a person they are full doesn't work (never worked? stopped working?) in some people due to a physical, emotional, or unknown disconnect? Whatever the reason - I've never been able to maintain a weight loss for more than a year. And I've done ALL the diets from WW to Optifast to "boot camp" and everything in between. Again, not a unique story just a frustrating one. Dr. Oz's distaste for young people having this surgery seems a bit short-sighted to me. He cites the fact that no one knows what the consequences may be 20 years down the road... ability to have children, for example. But we do know what 20 or more additional years of obesity will do to a person. Diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, back/knee/joint problems, fertility problems, dangerous pregnancies, sleep apnea, etc. plus all the resulting consequences AND costs of all that. Additionally there is the host of ongoing and compounded emotional issues. Isn't Dr. Oz's concern that there are unknowns down the road true for all "new" life-saving or life-changing procedures until they become accepted and considered the norm? Case in point might be that young football player, Kevin Everett, you had on the show recently. As I recall the cold therapy the doctor administered was controversial and not the norm. But that treatment is now credited for the miracle that this man can now walk. Are they worried about 20 years down the road? In addition, Dr. Oz doesn't seem to be taking into account that parents have been making serious (and often unwise) decisions about weight loss for their kids for many, many years. When I was young I saw kids around me whose parents sent them weight loss boot camps (some lost weight, most lost and then gained it all back plus), put them on diet pills (mostly over-the-counter and meant for adults), hounded them and berated them, while still others had their jaws wired shut!! Was that the way to go? Well, since we have the increased obesity problem we have - obviously not. Today, parents are making these surgery decisions for their children with the assistance of physicians. Like with any surgery there must be an individual analysis of costs, benefits and risk. I have no doubt that these all weigh heavily on the minds of the parents and the doctors. There will always be people who can lose weight on their own, or with the assistance of a diet, and keep it off. But it is abundantly clear that there are many millions more who cannot. Surgery is not everyone's answer, teen or adult, but dismissing it as an answer for anyone, teen or adult, is an equally flawed view.

Thanks for posting that Jenn, very interesting and so true!

I have often questioned what was the matter with my "full button". I think it never formed because I've had a weight problem since childhood. I don't feel like I'm alone anymore, this forum and everyone on it are struggling with the "food demons".

Thanks again Jenn! All our best to you and Cassie, (((((HUGS))))) Darlene

I have often questioned what was the matter with my "full button". I think it never formed because I've had a weight problem since childhood. I don't feel like I'm alone anymore, this forum and everyone on it are struggling with the "food demons".

Hi Jenn,

I missed the very beginning of the show yesterday. I did feel like Dr Oz wasn't very supportive of your decision to have your daughter banded. I am curious if this is just the thinking in the US, since it was Dr. Ortiz's decision to do the surgery? He must have felt comfortable with Cassie's and your decision.

You have a beautiful, strong daughter. You should be very proud of her and what she has accomplished. =D> =D>

Audrey

Jenn

I watched the show yesterday. :huh: After meeting you and Cassie when I had my surgery in April, I was just a little upset at how they made it look like this was a terrible thing you did "making this choice for your children" I could have only wished that my parnets would have had this choice for me as a teen. ;) You are a wonderful mother and Cassie is a very grounded young lady and I think that Oprah should do an update show and that they should really let Dr Ortiz be there!! You guys were such great cheerleaders for all of us that had surgery on April 18th ;) :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Thanks Jenn for having the courage to step up to the plate and do what needed to be done. If it weren't for you and Cassie's willingness to stick your necks out and tell your story my neice would never have gotten the surgery and I am so thrilled for her. She just went down last weekend and both she and her mom were banded. You have been kind enough to support her on the teens forum (her name is Kelsey). Thanks again. It really helps and thanks to all of you who responded to her post, it made me cry when I saw all the support that she got. That is so important especially at her age cause as you know it is a huge leap of faith to try one more thing to lose weight. She is a wonderful sweet person. I think she is beautiful now but I can't wait to see her blossom when she becomes thinner.

Cheryl

Hi Jenn,

I second her opinion on Dr. Oz. I've watched numerous Oprah shows, especially when Dr. Oz is on there, and listened and respected everything he's said in the past. When I watched the episode yesterday and listened to his opinion I was very frustrated. Keep in mind that he is a naturalist, and he believes that there's always a natural way of solving health issues, and people respect him for that. But being so close minded on a childs health, beleiving that there's other answers to obesity even when it cannot be controlled by diet and exercise is obsurd. Him being a doctor and knowing that there are medical conditions that can hinder weight loss, or even conditions that are caused by obesity, and won't allow you to lose any weight, I am sure everyone in the audience disagreed with his beliefs, even the Pediatric Surgeon there! Oprah seemed to be piggy backing Dr. Oz as well, even though she has been on numerous diets and seems to regain everything she lost plus some.

"If you always do what you've always done - you'll always get what you've always gotten"

:)

I am not a big Oprah fan, and this show reinforced those beliefs. She really seemed to side with Dr Oz. Where did she get her medical degree?? Science has shown that yo-yo dieting is harmful. Most of us who had this surgery have gained and lost the same 50# over and over. I feel like when I lose the weight, it won't come back. I am grateful that there is such a tool that will help me eat smaller amounts. I could not do it by myself

My daughter is also heavy. Would I have made the decision when she was a teenager to have her banded? If I felt that she was able to make the changes to make it successful, ABSOLUTELY!! Not all 13 year olds would be mature enough to make that decision, but I think that Cassie was. Instead of looking at an age, look at the person!

Jenn,

It troubles me that his knee jerk reaction was NOT that you've done what you're supposed to do. You've done the diets, you've done the exercise. It didn't work.

After considerable homework, you've found a solution that should provide better results, carefully researched a surgeon and continued to do your absolute best for your child. Just like you'd do if she had a brain tumor, or a cleft palate, you did for her obesity. You're to be commended.

THAT should have been the knee jerk reaction.

Most medical treatments aren't natural. If you need a new hip, a pacemaker, radiation/chemo, contacts, braces, --shoot, even birth control-- none are natural. If natural always worked, we wouldn't need doctors (like him). Using Science with nature simply, is better than nature alone.

You didn't receive the respect you were due by Dr. Oz. As a parent, you have mine.

Linda

I watched it yesterday and my concern was the parents who had the full blown surgery. But really it is between the child and the parent. They have to decide what is best. If a child is 300 pounds and is suffering then they need to do something about it. I dont agree with him as if to leave the child there and trying all these yo yo diets that go no where fast. I dont think that is healthy. All the kids on here looked healthy. I was concerned about the one who now has a drinking problem. That made me think twice about my issues, but unless a person has been there, they cant really say that it is a bad move. I think since banding is less evasive, that is the way I would go with my child. There is no way I would let my child suffer. You did the right thing. Thank god Dr Ortiz was there to help. I haven't been down there to get my band yet so when I saw Mexico, it did kind of scare me. But the clinic looked nice. Thanks for going on the show and speaking out.

Hi Jenn,

I missed the very beginning of the show yesterday. I did feel like Dr Oz wasn't very supportive of your decision to have your daughter banded. I am curious if this is just the thinking in the US, since it was Dr. Ortiz's decision to do the surgery? He must have felt comfortable with Cassie's and your decision.

You have a beautiful, strong daughter. You should be very proud of her and what she has accomplished. =D> =D>

Audrey

Cassie went through all kids of testing with Children's Hospital to see if there was an underlying issue. All tests showed negative and once again she was told to diet. If you see the amount of food that you eat with a lapband around 1/4 of usual meals per day. I now understand why it is such a struglle to loose the weight. Cassie's BMI had to meet Dr. Ortiz's requirements which it did. He asked to see records of all her testing and if she had any medical problems. He also ingterviewed her and tape the conversation between them because he wanted Cassie to know that this was a loife changing experience and the work ahead of her was not going to be easy that this was just a tool to help her but she was to do the work. After interviewing her, he said she was indeed ready mentally and she was mature for her age. To know Cassie everyone would agree. She is very mature and works hard at everything she does.

After surgery Cassie was on a strict fluid diet. After that she was allowed softer foods which also included vitamins and she drank protein drinks. Whith such a loss of intake of food you need to supplement with the vitamins and make sure you eat healthy. Cassie eats healthy every day, yes we all sneak in a hamber here and there due to busy schedules , but what they diplicted on the tv was very inaccurate of what she eats every day. She eats very well.

We did return to Mexico for her first fill because again it had not yet come to the US and no one knew anything about the LapBand. She was everyones lil pioneer. Her fill was quick and simply under xray. When she returned to the States a friend of mine who is a nurse watched her progress because the doctor she worked for knew that the FDA would approve it soon in the statesfor adults only. So eventually Dr. Smith from Colorado and several other doctors went to Mexico to be trained by Dr. Ortiz.

Dr. Ortiz's requirements have changed some since Cassie had her surgery so you may want to talk to Lori the Coordinator. She is a lovely lady who will answer 150 questions if you have them.

Cassie and I went in and actually witnessed a surgery. It is very simple, quick and very inavasive. It is just the hard work you must do afterwards. Your so used to eating solids and normal portions of food that you really have to have amind set on small, small. Your just feeding your body to survive. You also feel the fullness, like most people are affraid they will starve and have that starving feeling after eating like a normal diet does. 95 % of the time if you follow the rules and eat correctly you will feel full. Cassie sits at a table a eats so gracefully because she has to chew and take her time as the food goes down. For the rest of us, it is like we are like shoveling. She has taught me to slow eating down so my tummy will have time to tell my brain it is full. We eat so fast it does not have that time.

We just received a letter along with many others on thanking us for being on the show and how they have gone to Dr. Ortiz and had the surgery and then taken their families in too (Which we took my sister in-law and nice in just 3 months ago) but the letters are so greatful and life changing.this was a re-air of the Oprah Show. It first was shown back in Feb. and I can not tell you how many people have gone to Dr. Ortiz and had the surgery. Casie had a normal High School life because of the surgery and we would never change a thing.

[color="#000080"]

Darlene,

Thank you for the support !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenn & Cassie [/color]

Jenn

I watched the show yesterday. :huh: After meeting you and Cassie when I had my surgery in April, I was just a little upset at how they made it look like this was a terrible thing you did "making this choice for your children" I could have only wished that my parnets would have had this choice for me as a teen. ;) You are a wonderful mother and Cassie is a very grounded young lady and I think that Oprah should do an update show and that they should really let Dr Ortiz be there!! You guys were such great cheerleaders for all of us that had surgery on April 18th ;) :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Hi Paula,

Your comment gave me goosebumps. Over and Over they asked me to explain how I felt going into Mexico and just like most of you , your SCARED !!!!! Well I was too and taking a child there. But Cassie was not your ordinary child like you said Paula, she is very rounded and was ready. It is sad how the show cut Dr. Ortiz's interview out, because when we were on stage they did show it on a big screen but when it aired there was so much cut out. So THANK YOU.

We love all of you guys and it has changed Cassies life and why should another teen not enjoy a teenage life of fullfillment and joy. Dr. Oz was very rude after the show. He angry that we were confrontational and he was not supost to be on the show, he stopped in at the last min. They asked us if we minded and who would of thought he would of started attacking Cassie. We just took Senior Pictures of Cassie and you will not beleive how fabulous she looks. The photographer worked for NIGHT line AND HE SAID She should do modeling and that he wants to do her portfolio. Everyone is different, that is how God made us and for him to judge her was ridiculous.

Paula, Great big hug to you !!!

Jenn

Thanks Jenn for having the courage to step up to the plate and do what needed to be done. If it weren't for you and Cassie's willingness to stick your necks out and tell your story my neice would never have gotten the surgery and I am so thrilled for her. She just went down last weekend and both she and her mom were banded. You have been kind enough to support her on the teens forum (her name is Kelsey). Thanks again. It really helps and thanks to all of you who responded to her post, it made me cry when I saw all the support that she got. That is so important especially at her age cause as you know it is a huge leap of faith to try one more thing to lose weight. She is a wonderful sweet person. I think she is beautiful now but I can't wait to see her blossom when she becomes thinner.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

We are there for Kelsey and for any future Teen Bandsters !! They deserve a normal life. I hope both are doing well and please tell them Hello from us and if they are in San Diego again, we are often there as well and we would love to meet them. Jenn

Hi Jenn,

I second her opinion on Dr. Oz. I've watched numerous Oprah shows, especially when Dr. Oz is on there, and listened and respected everything he's said in the past. When I watched the episode yesterday and listened to his opinion I was very frustrated. Keep in mind that he is a naturalist, and he believes that there's always a natural way of solving health issues, and people respect him for that. But being so close minded on a childs health, beleiving that there's other answers to obesity even when it cannot be controlled by diet and exercise is obsurd. Him being a doctor and knowing that there are medical conditions that can hinder weight loss, or even conditions that are caused by obesity, and won't allow you to lose any weight, I am sure everyone in the audience disagreed with his beliefs, even the Pediatric Surgeon there! Oprah seemed to be piggy backing Dr. Oz as well, even though she has been on numerous diets and seems to regain everything she lost plus some.

"If you always do what you've always done - you'll always get what you've always gotten"

:)

Hello Evette,

I had compasion for some of the audience members because they did not understand what the LapBand was. For those who have never struggled over dieting they seemed to be out of touch and could not grasp what the real true ending to this story was. Cassie is Healthy, Happy and is not a damaged Teenager. She has lived a normal life. The surgery is reversable, minor and is only a tool to help you suceed. Dr. Oz was not supost to be on the show and did at the last min. There are erros he said about the lapband because he did not do his studing. The ore he was confronted the worse he became and he was mad after the show ended. For the Pediatrics doctor she was brown nosing him the whole way and it was like Dr.'s know best. Well if they do then why do they miss so many diagnosis! They had an interview with Dr. Ortiz but they cut it out. It was really funny!! Many doctors here in Colorado have seen Cassie and know she is the best and one doctor strted doing Lapbands just becasue of her sucess. I also told the Ped. Doctor "What makes you the expert now, because you did one Gastric Bypass surgery on a child that can not be undone so simple and now your the expert to say anything over Lapband. She said they first approached her and she did not want to do the Gastric on a child. But the money and benefits must of been worth taking it on because she she they had to talk her into it.

I'm glad you are knowledgeable in the LapBand to see through Dr. Oz. HE is Oprah's puppet and Oprah has to promote him because that is her creation.

Thanks for the support,Jenn & Cassie

I am not a big Oprah fan, and this show reinforced those beliefs. She really seemed to side with Dr Oz. Where did she get her medical degree?? Science has shown that yo-yo dieting is harmful. Most of us who had this surgery have gained and lost the same 50# over and over. I feel like when I lose the weight, it won't come back. I am grateful that there is such a tool that will help me eat smaller amounts. I could not do it by myself

My daughter is also heavy. Would I have made the decision when she was a teenager to have her banded? If I felt that she was able to make the changes to make it successful, ABSOLUTELY!! Not all 13 year olds would be mature enough to make that decision, but I think that Cassie was. Instead of looking at an age, look at the person!

Hello Sunnee,

You are so right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT THE PERSON !!!, I don't think Dr. Oz has dieting in his whole life. When you never tasted chocolate how can you talk about it !!! Cassie showed her maturity on the show in front of millions. OCC and I are truly proud of her.

Thank you for your support.

Jenn

Jenn,

It troubles me that his knee jerk reaction was NOT that you've done what you're supposed to do. You've done the diets, you've done the exercise. It didn't work.

After considerable homework, you've found a solution that should provide better results, carefully researched a surgeon and continued to do your absolute best for your child. Just like you'd do if she had a brain tumor, or a cleft palate, you did for her obesity. You're to be commended.

THAT should have been the knee jerk reaction.

Most medical treatments aren't natural. If you need a new hip, a pacemaker, radiation/chemo, contacts, braces, --shoot, even birth control-- none are natural. If natural always worked, we wouldn't need doctors (like him). Using Science with nature simply, is better than nature alone.

You didn't receive the respect you were due by Dr. Oz. As a parent, you have mine.

Linda

Linda,

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You !!! For those patients who met Cassie at the OCC during their surgeries, they would tell you she is young lady beyond her years. She is so kind to everyone being on both sides. Cassie was told over and over that this is a tool and she has to do the work. It was not just take her down, here ya go and your done. Mentally she was prepared because she had to want it and Dr. Ortiz interviewed her and he said she is definately mature and ready. Cassie has talked to other teens and so open about everything. Cassie did not want implants, or lipo she just wanted to be healthy and happy and that as a parent is all we want for our precious children.

Thank you again Linda for your support and your respect.

Jenn & Cassie

I understand what you all are saying about the Oprah show, and I too would have taken my own daughter for a lapband, if she were to need it; however I do have to say Dr. Oz did say on that particular show that he is in favor of the lapband - and in his book "You, On A Diet", he devotes a whole chapter to weight loss surgery and is very much in favor of it. Also, on his CD, the first thing he states is that if you have tried everything else, than you should look into weight loss surgery.

I understand what you all are saying about the Oprah show, and I too would have taken my own daughter for a lapband, if she were to need it; however I do have to say Dr. Oz did say on that particular show that he is in favor of the lapband - and in his book "You, On A Diet", he devotes a whole chapter to weight loss surgery and is very much in favor of it. Also, on his CD, the first thing he states is that if you have tried everything else, than you should look into weight loss surgery.

He is in favor of it on adults, on the show not for teens. THey glorified natural weight loss and put down those who chose another way. If my child gets a job in thier own way I congradulate them as long as they got it done. He did not care that Cassie was happy and healthy. He knows how minor this surgery.