Different ideas on liquids after fills

Dr. Ortiz says 3 days of liquids after fills.

My fill dr. in Texas says 7 days.

My friend got banded in Mexico (not at OCC) and her doc says 2 days.

What is the deal here????

I had my fill this afternoon and i had a very small meal tonight. Everything feels fine. I'm not sure why I did it. I meant to wait the 3 days. But there is so much stress in my house right now. I would be bathing in chocolate if I could.

Have I ruined my $8,000 surgery by eating on day 1 after a fill???

Dr. Ortiz says 3 days of liquids after fills.

My fill dr. in Texas says 7 days.

My friend got banded in Mexico (not at OCC) and her doc says 2 days.

What is the deal here????

I had my fill this afternoon and i had a very small meal tonight. Everything feels fine. I'm not sure why I did it. I meant to wait the 3 days. But there is so much stress in my house right now. I would be bathing in chocolate if I could.

Have I ruined my $8,000 surgery by eating on day 1 after a fill???

Was this your first fill? At OCC they say 3 days of liquids only after your first fill. After that usually 24 hours.... I doubt you hurt anything. Just go back to liquids at last a couple days for your body to adjust to a major change again. You wouldn't want to irritate it, then they'll tell you MORE days of liquids! Eat thicker soups, or Starbucks, that's what I survive on after a fill.

Was this your first fill? At OCC they say 3 days of liquids only after your first fill. After that usually 24 hours.... I doubt you hurt anything. Just go back to liquids at last a couple days for your body to adjust to a major change again. You wouldn't want to irritate it, then they'll tell you MORE days of liquids! Eat thicker soups, or Starbucks, that's what I survive on after a fill.

This was my second fill. I like the 24 hour answer much better. Everything feels fine. Nothing feels irritated. I hope I'm ok.

If nothing feels irritated and you were able to eat it ok then stop worrying you're fine. The rule for after a fill is pretty flexible depending on who you go to. What happens is that when your band gets tightened your stomach can become irritated. This can cause things to get stuck until every thing's had a chance to settle down again. It's not like after the surgery, by now your band has pretty much made a home for itself and you're not going to do any damage to it unless you start throwing up or get some kind of infection. After seven fills and one unfill, my stomach hardly feels any irritation after a fill anymore and I'm able go back to solids after a few hours. Just listen to your body and don't push things. When you feel ready, start with soft and easy to manage foods and if you feel yourself having trouble, you need to reel it in a bit. If you pb then you've gone way too far and need to learn your body's warning signs as well.

If nothing feels irritated and you were able to eat it ok then stop worrying you're fine. The rule for after a fill is pretty flexible depending on who you go to. What happens is that when your band gets tightened your stomach can become irritated. This can cause things to get stuck until every thing's had a chance to settle down again. It's not like after the surgery, by now your band has pretty much made a home for itself and you're not going to do any damage to it unless you start throwing up or get some kind of infection. After seven fills and one unfill, my stomach hardly feels any irritation after a fill anymore and I'm able go back to solids after a few hours. Just listen to your body and don't push things. When you feel ready, start with soft and easy to manage foods and if you feel yourself having trouble, you need to reel it in a bit. If you pb then you've gone way too far and need to learn your body's warning signs as well.

Thanks so much for that info! It really put my mind at ease. What you are saying makes sense. I was 100% compliant with the liquid phase post op.

The thing about this second fill. I can fill greater restriction when things are going down. I have to eat smaller bites and chew more than before. But I can still eat as much as before. Is that normal?

There's a period of time after real restriction when you'll have to re-adjust your brain for eating. I found I was still putting the same amount of food on my plate even though I could only eat a fraction of it. Of course, we were all taught to clean our plates, it's good for us!!

If you are eating slower and smaller bites, you can still get the same amount of food if you keep eating. Try smaller portions for awhile, you may find you are satisfied much sooner than you're currently stopping eating. One trick is to use smaller plates. I know it sounds silly, especially since you know why you're doing it, but your brain will look at a meal which is overflowing a small plate much differently than the same sized meal which is a small island on a much larger plate.

While shopping at an outdoor swap meet I found some very small plates and bowls which are the perfect size for me for less than a dollar each. I bought four of each and use them almost exclusively for meals.

My fill doc told me a week of liquids and a week of soft solids after my first fill! Talk about DEPRESSING! It was like going back to the post-op diet all over again and I was really not sure I could mentally maintain it for 2 weeks again!

BUT, I made it and I tell you I lost about 15 lbs from that first fill and when the weight is flying off like that it makes it much EASIER to follow the rules. If it hadn't flown off, I don't think I would have been motivated to make it through.