What about ID

They say you need ID to get in and out of mexico, how does that work. My birth certificate is not the same name I have now. Is this going to work? How will they know it is me if my name is different? Should I go get a passport? Did anyone have the same issue and what happened? I dont want any problems. :wacko:

I took my license and my birth certificate and it was enough. My name isn't the same on my bc either, they just look at it real quick and send you on your way. I think they're more interested in your photo ID. [i don't have a pass port either.]

No worries!! ><'

For your surgery date in September you WILL NOT need a passport. I believe that next summer is when they are mandating that you must have a passport. They have changed the date already from summer 2008 to summer 2009 so it could change again. And to clarify you don't need anything when you go into Mexico, you just drive right through. When you come back you actually have to stop, get out of the van with your luggage and walk into a building where you stand in line, usually not more than 10-15 people at most in front of you, show them your license and birth certificate, the last name does not matter as many are married since birth, and you put your luggage and purse on an x-ray conveyer belt, they look at it going through and then you walk about 1 block to where the van meets you, get in and you're on your way to the airport. Simple as that. This is why you don't want a bunch of heavy luggage you have to lug around.

Guest CaraMBA09

the passport is the way to go...but i think you are cutting it too close now.

I had my photo taken at Kinkos

took my paperwork to USPS

and had my passport in 3 weeks.

Stormy, your surgery is the 19th of september right?

My friend actually forgot her birth certificate and they let her back into the states..I wouldn't assume that would always be the case though so birth certificate and license are good. We were laughing and joking with the bordor patrol guy and he said that they keep changing the date where passports will be required so he doesn't even think it will change for next June, we shall see.

They also have a card thing that you can get instead of a passport for only $50 which works for Mexico, Canada, the Carribean, Virgin Islands etc. It's a little cheaper than an actual passport.

Erin

the passport is the way to go...but i think you are cutting it too close now.

I had my photo taken at Kinkos

took my paperwork to USPS

and had my passport in 3 weeks.

Stormy, your surgery is the 19th of september right?

Yes it is, I dont think I have time to get it. But it sounds like ID will work

My friend actually forgot her birth certificate and they let her back into the states..I wouldn't assume that would always be the case though so birth certificate and license are good. We were laughing and joking with the bordor patrol guy and he said that they keep changing the date where passports will be required so he doesn't even think it will change for next June, we shall see.

They also have a card thing that you can get instead of a passport for only $50 which works for Mexico, Canada, the Carribean, Virgin Islands etc. It's a little cheaper than an actual passport.

Erin

Yes I saw the card thing, that is the way I am going to go. I filled out the application and will take it down when i get time but I dont think it will be back in time so I will see how it goes. Thanks for all the information

Yes I saw the card thing, that is the way I am going to go. I filled out the application and will take it down when i get time but I dont think it will be back in time so I will see how it goes. Thanks for all the information

Kim, I personally would not waste my money on the card thing. You only need your drivers license and birth certificate for real. This for you is one more thing that has been clarified and now you need to not worry about it. You have many other things to spend your time and money on now. You don't need to do anything else. Make this easy on yourself. After your surgery if you feel you want to get a passport then do it by all means but you don't need it for september.

You only NEED your drivers lisence and birth cert. however, it will come to a point where you can't wipe your but without a passport. But, your fine for this trip. My husband has a passport already and I think I will get one for me and the kids soon. If you want to go on a cruise or something you will need one. And when I get my new skinny body I might just want to do that. Good luck girl.

Yep that is it DL and Birth Cert. is all you need for now, we crossed at different boarder this time and it was the first time we had to stand in line but it moves fast just have it out and ready! They may ask you why you were in Mexico and if you have anything to claim and that is about all they have ever asked me.

But if you have a passport do you have to take your BC still? I don't know why, but I am nervous about carrying my BC around a lot. If I can just take my DL and a passport i'd prefer that. If anyone knows the drill let me know. Thanks!!

Hi All,

Here's my experience.............

I was born in Holland 54 years ago and at that time, a birth certificate was not issued. What happened was when someone had a child, they took their "marriage book" (marriage license) to the government house where they entered in your child's name and date of birth in the book and then stamped it with a government seal - that basically was your 'birth certificate".

There were three of us kids born in Holland and three born here in the states. Us older three don't have birth certificates; the younger three do have them.

In 1963 on the exact same day President Kennedy was shot (I'm giving a history lesson here), my Parent's became citizens of the United States and by virtue of them becoming citizens, us three older (under age) children also became citizens. I'm telling you this because when you get a passport you need to provide a copy of your birth certificate, or citizenship papers, which is why I thought I should bring enough paper work with me to Mexico to basically prove who I was.

The first time I went into Mexico for my actual surgery, I had...

1. My Driver's License

2. My Parent's Citizenship papers

3. My Marriage License/Certificate

4. My Green Card - It has a picture of me when I was two years old on it

5. An expired Passport from when I was sixteen.

When we left Mexico, I showed the Clerk all of my paperwork and he said to me, "Why are you showing me all this stuff, your Driver's license and the expired passport is all I need". Which I have to tell you, I think is really weird - my passport has my maiden name and the picture in it, well let's just say at 54 years old now, I look nothing like that 16 year old (gosh, I was pretty and PETITE!), what happened???????

When I went to Mexico to get my fill on the 9th of August, I completely forgot to bring any documentation at all; I had my driver's license - that's it! The Clerk gave me a bit of a hard time for not having a birth certificate or a passport, but he finally let me through (after I asked him if I should go back!).

I am in the process of getting a new passport so I won't have the stress and problems of being able to prove who I am.

Wow, I guess I'm in a talkative mood tonight!