Water

My husband has lost 7 pounds, I have lost nothing. He says he sweats alot and drinks gatoraide and water. I sometimes go days without drinking water. I will have juice or pop. Is this what I am doing wrong? Our surgerys are in 30 days. He is obvously 1/2 way there. I need something to kick me going. How much water would I need? and how do I force myself to drink it? Doesnt it make you gain cause you hold water. Especially since TOM never came. I just want to do this right.

All I can tell you is that it is so very important to drink water! I drink 2 - 3 (sometimes 4 if i'm really ambitious) liters a day. It flushes out your body keeps you hydrated. I ended up last week being very dehyrdated. I missed a day of not drinking enough water and was sick for an entire week - almost ended up in Emeg because of it. I do it also because it makes me go pee lots and then I don't have to work :P kidding ... well kinda ... hahahah

But its not only good for flushing out your system, it makes you full and it makes your skin look good when its hydrated! I'm sure everyone else will let you know that its important to drink, drink and drink some more! And yes, I find that when I drink that much water I am a little heavier, but the next morning I'm down a couple of pounds from the morning before --

If you don't like plain water, drink some Crystal Light, or put a lemon in the water to drink. Sometimes I drink thru a straw to make it 1) go down faster and 2) makes it fun cause I have a cool straw in the shape of a frog (you have to manipulate the mind sometimes!)

Good luck with the water -- you can do it!

Alana :)

My husband has lost 7 pounds, I have lost nothing. He says he sweats alot and drinks gatoraide and water. I sometimes go days without drinking water. I will have juice or pop. Is this what I am doing wrong? Our surgerys are in 30 days. He is obvously 1/2 way there. I need something to kick me going. How much water would I need? and how do I force myself to drink it? Doesnt it make you gain cause you hold water. Especially since TOM never came. I just want to do this right.

I also remember when I dint drink water on pre-op I didnt loose any weight. But as soon as I did drink it the lbs started to come off. The weekends are the worst fo me since im not at work I forget my water count. But as soon as monday rolls around it all starts again. Good luck.

I notice that when I start dieting, the scales don't move for weeks. Then all of a sudden I will lose up to 5 pounds. If I can keep the momentum up and not get discouraged, my body will keep losing weight. I found this to be true on the post-op. I am so bad with my water intake. I think that boosting my water would probably accelerate my weight loss. I am trying to get better though.

Stormy, I cannot say this loud enough. YES!!!!! the water helps enormously!!!! And get rid of the juice and soda immediately. You are drinking way too many calories. I only was drinking diet soda, and couldn't lose weight even then. As soon as I gave up the diet soda and started drinking water, lots and lots of water, the weight started to come off. Juice and regular soda are NOT part of the pre-op diet. You are not suppose to have either of them. And even the diet soda is limited to 2x per day. Which I would say don't even do that. Try drinking only water for the next 30 days before your surgery and I guarantee you will lose the weight.

I encourage you strongly to DRINK minimum 2liters, even 3 a day to lose weight. When your body doesn't get enough water and you start drinking enough at first , maybe a day or 2 you may hold onto some to get rehydrated but after that you will lose more easily. Drinking juices, soda of any kind, mochas and the sort are empty calories that will only keep the weight on. NO MORE of this crap if you are serious. You need to make some serious changes today and quit doing things to sagatoge your weight loss. You can lose the weight but you MUST make changes and start today. Don't compare yourself with your husband even though it's tough. It is proven men lose weight quicker than women and just come to terms with that. Especially at first. Get yourself even just an empty 2 liter soda bottle or some other 2 liter container, fill it up with water and force yourself to finish it least 2 hours before bedtime. PERIOD. It's got to be done or you won't succeed. I encourage you to come up with reasons and ways to succeed and not continue with the "I'm going to fail before I even try" attitude. Get serious today and listen to the voices of experience. We can't do this for you. Hugs to you honey and hang in there, again this is my version of tough love!! I want you to succeed too!!

ok Julie just told me off, I need that. Ok ladies. Time for some real action. Water water water and no more soda. This is hard. You are very strong people and I hope I can show you that I can be that way too. Something happened to me, something about 5 years ago and it tares at me. I think this is why this is happening. I have not healed yet. And maybe I have done this to myself as some type of punishment. But I need to stop. I need to take back my life. A person in my life died and I haven't got over it. And eating I guess has been a way to deal with the pain of this loss. I feel like I can share this with you all. Cause you will understand. Maybe I should have put this in a different post. But this is it ladies. I have got to get control of this. Starting today, no more mochas, no more pop. No more garbage. Time to stand up and say no more. I dont wanna die too. This is so important to me. I hear such wonderful things. I know this is going to be a start for me. But Julie is right, this is a life style that I am going to have to accept if I want to live a normal, healthy life for my son. It is sad when people leave us, but no more excuses. I can't bury my pain anymore with food. I have to get off the pity wagon and learn to live again :( , Time to start over. I know with all of you here, I know you dont know me, but you will see. I will try hard. I will do this right. Julie, keep kicking my butt, I need it. ><'

Water is a magic liquid! The more you drink, the more you lose!

Oh and stay away from gatorade..it is LOADED with calories!

ok Julie just told me off, I need that. Ok ladies. Time for some real action. Water water water and no more soda. This is hard. You are very strong people and I hope I can show you that I can be that way too. Something happened to me, something about 5 years ago and it tares at me. I think this is why this is happening. I have not healed yet. And maybe I have done this to myself as some type of punishment. But I need to stop. I need to take back my life. A person in my life died and I haven't got over it. And eating I guess has been a way to deal with the pain of this loss. I feel like I can share this with you all. Cause you will understand. Maybe I should have put this in a different post. But this is it ladies. I have got to get control of this. Starting today, no more mochas, no more pop. No more garbage. Time to stand up and say no more. I dont wanna die too. This is so important to me. I hear such wonderful things. I know this is going to be a start for me. But Julie is right, this is a life style that I am going to have to accept if I want to live a normal, healthy life for my son. It is sad when people leave us, but no more excuses. I can't bury my pain anymore with food. I have to get off the pity wagon and learn to live again :( , Time to start over. I know with all of you here, I know you dont know me, but you will see. I will try hard. I will do this right. Julie, keep kicking my butt, I need it. ><'

Stormy, remember that those first 2-4 days off soda, will be difficult. Like having withdrawals. But then it gets better. I was off the diet soda for just two weeks and was losing weight good. So I decided to reward myself with a diet soda one day. WHOA!!! it tasted like CRAP!!! Who knew that after just two weeks, the soda was no longer even good to me. I wanted my water back.

Yep...water is the way to go! Sometimes I can drink quite a bit of plain old water, but other times, I need a little flavor. The protein waters don't have very much protein in them, so I bought unflavored protein powder from GNC. 1 scoop has 20 gr of protein. I usually add it to some sugar free powdered drink mix, like crystal light, along with crushed ice. I've mixed the orange flavored one with the unflavored protein powder, with ice in a blender and it's like having an orange creamsicle.

Water and the extra protein have helped with my weight loss.

Barb

[/quote

I would never want to hurt yours or anyones feelings though. I do care and felt you were asking for a little nudge in the right direction. Yes this is a journey of self-exploration as well as weight loss, they go hand in hand. Good for you for having the breakthrough and realizing and recognizing the past has been holding you up, a barrier that needs to be broken through, so as Jim Morrison sang it.."Break on through to the other side"..."Try to run, try to hide, break on through to the other side" and the song does have a meaning doesn't it?

I know for me, when I drink water it makes my food taste better. When I drink pop I feel like it masks my food. And since i'll be eating a heck of a lot less, i'd like to really savor and enjoy what I do eat.

Agree totally with what everyone else said. When i've been on WW before and wasn't losing like I wanted, many times it was b/c I wasn't getting my water. I can't drink as much at work b/c I have a very fast paced job and i'm lucky if I get to the bathroom once a day, but I drink a lot once I get home and really focus on it then. It is gonna be tougher though when I get banded b/c one time I really focused on getting my water in was during meals. So i'll work on that.

Good luck! I am starting a pre-pre op diet on Sept. 1st!

Shelby

Don't worry Stormy! I'm definitely NOT strong! So I understand your struggles...I honestly think that everyone here does. I am 9 days out from surgery and I'm freaking about everything. I just sit back and try to do what everyone else says helped them and that does help a lot. We are both gonna make it...;)