Major PBing Episode

OMG!! Today we had a picnic at work, everyone brought a dish and as a member of our Smile Committee, we ordered KFC chicken.

I ate one small peice of chicken, no skin and it starting getting stuck, took two bites of macaroni salad, hoping to slide it down and it got stuck!!

I got up and walked around and around and then thought I better head to the washroom. When I got there, I projectile slimed everywhere, really gross. I still felt stuck and continued to walk the halls and went back to the boardroom where all of my co-workers were eating. I took a small sip of water and felt an air bubble develop, ran back to the washroom and projectile slimed again!! All of my lunch came up. I felt 100% better, but wholly cow!!!

I ate small bites and slow, I guess the chicken was a little dry or two greasy (KFC can be that way), but I have officially swore off KFC for good now!!

Sorry to be so graphic. Lesson learned, stay away from fried chicken!!!

OMG!! Today we had a picnic at work, everyone brought a dish and as a member of our Smile Committee, we ordered KFC chicken.

I ate one small peice of chicken, no skin and it starting getting stuck, took two bites of macaroni salad, hoping to slide it down and it got stuck!!

I got up and walked around and around and then thought I better head to the washroom. When I got there, I projectile slimed everywhere, really gross. I still felt stuck and continued to walk the halls and went back to the boardroom where all of my co-workers were eating. I took a small sip of water and felt an air bubble develop, ran back to the washroom and projectile slimed again!! All of my lunch came up. I felt 100% better, but wholly cow!!!

I ate small bites and slow, I guess the chicken was a little dry or two greasy (KFC can be that way), but I have officially swore off KFC for good now!!

I am sooooo sorry to hear that this happened. I know that everyone PB's, but I am sure that it is 10 times worse when you are at work. I think after hearing your experience I will be afraid to even eat KFC after my surgery.

In my experience, the worst things to do when food is already stuck are 1) eating more and 2) drinking! Next time either wait to see if it's going to come up on it's own, or eventually it will pass. I have had food stuck for hours and hours. Sometimes if it's bad I'll force myself to throw up but I try to do this as a last resort. Don't drink if you are stuck and never eat more to see if it will slide down. They used to tell people this at the OCC. I just remembered you had your surgery elsewhere. I actually remember the first time I had food stuck and it was KFC!!! I took a drink of water and had to pull over off the freeway for like 30 minutes!

In my experience, the worst things to do when food is already stuck are 1) eating more and 2) drinking! Next time either wait to see if it's going to come up on it's own, or eventually it will pass. I have had food stuck for hours and hours. Sometimes if it's bad I'll force myself to throw up but I try to do this as a last resort. Don't drink if you are stuck and never eat more to see if it will slide down. They used to tell people this at the OCC. I just remembered you had your surgery elsewhere. I actually remember the first time I had food stuck and it was KFC!!! I took a drink of water and had to pull over off the freeway for like 30 minutes!

Thanks, I will usually eat chicken with a dipping sauce to help it down, but this time I didn't and oh man, I paid for it...KFC is taboo in my world now!!!

You probably would have been ok if you had stopped as soon as you felt a problem with the chicken, and pasta is one of the hardest foods to get down as it just forms a sticky mass like glue once it's chewed up. I've sworn off bread and pasta forever. As time goes on you'll become more attuned to your body and the more subtle signs it gives you to stop.

Sorry to hear that KFC didn't agree with you. I, too, have had problems with chicken breasts when they were dry, but it sounded like you really had a rough time of it. That's too bad. I haven't had a Pbing session in awhile now, but I really do know what it feels like to be in that predicament. Not a great place to be, especially at work.

Congratulations on reaching the 40 pound weight loss mark. That is so exciting. I'm right behind you at 34 pounds down. Keep doing what you're doing. It looks great on you!

- (1jmk) Janet

Oh no Cathy! I am sorry you had to go through that at work.

Fried chicken does me the same way! I can't eat hot wings either and boy are they nasty coming back up! UGH! LOL

Sorry to hear that KFC didn't agree with you. I, too, have had problems with chicken breasts when they were dry, but it sounded like you really had a rough time of it. That's too bad. I haven't had a Pbing session in awhile now, but I really do know what it feels like to be in that predicament. Not a great place to be, especially at work.

Congratulations on reaching the 40 pound weight loss mark. That is so exciting. I'm right behind you at 34 pounds down. Keep doing what you're doing. It looks great on you!

- (1jmk) Janet

Thanks Janet, I am feeling a bit better now, pretty scarey though. Keep up the great work too!!!

KD is a no no for me. Figured that one out yesterday. Not good!!!! Cathy I guess it is a learning curve for us and what our bodies will tolerate now. KD was one of my favorites too. :(

Here is to a better day! :lb18: :lb4: :lb16:

Oh gosh sorry you had to go thru that at work! I just got my second fill on Friday and they had us go and eat to make sure that we could and the very first bite got stuck! So I did not eat anymore but then the next morning I had oatmeal only 4 bites and it was runny oatmeal and and two bites of eggs and the second bite got stuck and i paced back and forth in the hallway at the hotel and then finally it came up! This was my first time to have this happen to me and that is a stressful event I hate that you had to go thru it at work!

Guest Kellster

Ok, I'm new here and haven't had the surgery yet so I'm a lil clueless - Is "PBing" Projectile Barfing?

If so - what's the deal with that? Is it like out of the Exorcist or something? :huh:

Ok, I'm new here and haven't had the surgery yet so I'm a lil clueless - Is "PBing" Projectile Barfing?

If so - what's the deal with that? Is it like out of the Exorcist or something? :huh:

Hi Kellester..first of all welcome and don't be freaked out by my PBing episode.

PB stands for Productive Burp. When food gets stuck in your esophagus, you feel tightness in your chest and your body's way of helping the obstruction move is by creating slime. Sometimes the food will pass down into the stomach, sometimes it come up. Yesterday, I had a major obtruction from the chicken I ate and I slimed alot and it came up, but afterwards you feel like a brick has been lifted off your chest. It will happen at least once and then you learn to chose foods more wisely and chew chew chew.

It's not like vomitting at all, it was painless and so fast...and although this sounds strange, it's the best thing that could have happened under the circumstances.

Best of Luck, when's your surgery date?

• 2 weeks later...