Are we supposed to loose

Are we supposed to loose weight when we get on solids but have no had a fill yet? I am so frusterated! I eat less and better than I used to and nothing.....I am still at 186lbs. Even a half a lb would make me happy at this point. I was told that I could be down almost 30lbs by my first fill. Well if that is true for me I better start loosing FAST cause my first fill is Sept 3. I am down 16.5lbs now. I guess a lot of us go through these feelings during those 3 weeks on food and before our first fill. It is a time to learn new habits and how to eat with the band. I am a slow learner...LOL Slowly learning to eat and not get stuck or PB. Thanks for listening to my rant everyone.

Hugs

Trudy

I second what Evette said. My weight came to a standstill after going back on solids. I even gained a few pounds back! I was frustrated because I didn't understand that this could happen before surgery. I never read the forum before surgery and wish I would have. It would have better prepared me for so many things.

Ditgto to Evette and Julie. I think our bodies are in shock from the surgery, then liquids, then solids. It will level out by the time you get your 1st fill and you will start losing more. Hang in there, girlfriend!!

I am really confused between this forum and Dr. Ortiz on this subject. He straight out told me that I should lose 40 pounds in the 6 weeks before my fill. I totally don't see how. And then there was the post where he really gave a new bandee a hard time for only losing 6 pounds. Made her feel real bad about it.

I start solids tomorrow. yikes....

I go by experience and the good people I have met here on this forum and I don't think anyone has lost 40 lbs from surgery to their first fill. If I am wrong, someone correct me! 6 weeks from surgery would mean you would have to lose close to 7 lbs a week to lose 40 lbs! Is that even possible? I don't think so. I lost around 20 and I thought that was alot!

Im not due to be banded until Oct 2nd, but from what I’m reading, there is no restriction at all until you get your first fill correct?

I think you could lose 10-20% of your weight in 6 weeks if you are on a 1000 cal diet, and working out every day….It just comes down to simple math - input less than output.

Wow!! I am glad I read this forum. I would have been so discouraged if I did not know that before the first fill I would likely not lose or even GAIN!!! That will put my mind at ease when I get to that point.

-Trudy, are you going to the OCC on Sept 3? that is my surgery date.

I wish I was going to OCC for my fill. I am having it done here in Calgary by a doctor that OCC recommended.

Trudy

Yes, Dr. Ortiz says 10-20% of body weight in first six weeks should be a goal. He has seen 20% and thought I could do 20%. I am eating below 1000 calories now. But I am losing about 2 pounds a week.

So I don't know....... I wish my body would let me lose 20% in 6 weeks. All I can do is my best.......

I think he may tell us this because it is a motivator and gives us a goal. Maybe they set really high expectations for us because it is really a mind game for some of us.

But being on this forum and seeing people's real results, I have not seen anyone lose 20% of their body weight in 6 weeks.

But I will try and definitely would LOVE to be one who does.

My experience was that I lost 16lbs in the liquid phase and then on the 4 weeks before my first fill I lost nothing.. I fluctuated between the last 3lbs I lost. Then I remember reading somewhere that the main focus before your first fill is not the weightloss but to let your body heal... I thought that was on a paper I recieved from Dr. Martinez. However I had my first fill on last Friday the 15th and right away I lost 5lbs.

Yes, I think I read that too about it being a time to heal. Then Dr. Ortiz came in and blew my husband and I away with the 40 pounds before 1st fill. I kind of hated that my husband heard that. He talks about it and is excited about it. Kind of grates on my nerves.

Yes, I think I read that too about it being a time to heal. Then Dr. Ortiz came in and blew my husband and I away with the 40 pounds before 1st fill. I kind of hated that my husband heard that. He talks about it and is excited about it. Kind of grates on my nerves.

I had originally planned on taking my husband with me to surgery, Thank God I changed my mind and invited my mom instead. Not only does my husband have no patience with waiting around for DR's but I could die if my doc would tell him something like that, or worse, my actual weight!! :o Whew. I do not need any extra pressure. the $8000 is pressure enough!

I had responded to that post.... I was told by Dr. Miranda not to worry about losing weight after surgery and before the first fill because that was a time to heal. She said that if I did lose that it was just gravy.

That's why I didn't understand why Dr. O gave her a hard time?? I think I lost a couple pounds, but not much and no one said a word. I was told that after my fill the weight would start comming off..... I'd love it if I'd find that damned sweet spot! <_<

doinitagann,

I have known my husband over 10 years and never told him my weight. Even at the OCC, I put everyone on notice that I was hiding it from him.

I guess it was the drugs. Sometime during 1st week of post op, I said hun, but the way I weighed 230 pounds when I decided to get the lapband. I weighed 225 at surgery. And I weigh 217 now. I weighed 155 - 160 when we met. I weighed 170 when we got married.

His eyes bugged and he did not know what to say. That was pretty smart of him. lol

I kind of have a "don't you dare give me anymore sh1t" attitude.

So now it is all on the table. I hope it makes me more accountable..... I hope he does not make me regret being that open with him.

Amy