post day one

harmonyherb

Hello everyone, I am new to the formum. Just got home from the hospital. Had Lap band and hiatial hernia. Feel terrible, pain is very bad even with medication. Also I am having exiety attacks. I am taking Xanas to try and cope. How have you guys coped with pain and lack of sleep. I need help.

thanks

Herb

Most of us were up and shopping the next day. You should call your doctor right away if you are in severe pain, that is not normal at all. Please call your doctor as soon as possible.

Thanks for feed back erin. Remember i had a major hiatial hernia that was also repaire. My anxiety is worse than the pain. Has any experience anxiety attacks post op. iti is really scary.

herb

Thanks for feed back erin. Remember i had a major hiatial hernia that was also repaire. My anxiety is worse than the pain. Has any experience anxiety attacks post op. iti is really scary.

herb

Hi Herb. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired at the time my band was done and I didn't have much pain at all. I was up the next day and went shopping on Revolution Ave. I didn't even have to take the pain meds they gave me. Tylenol worked fine. You should probably call your doctor. Where were you banded at? Was it done by Dr. Ortiz?

I had my surgery in Ontario, Canada and I did have post-op pain and was basically in bed for 3 days...not until day 4 did I feel semi-normal. I walked like an 80 year old woman for a few days and had my hand on my port scar for weeks to protect it, it was very tender for about a month. Needless to say, I wasn't up shopping the next day.

Everyone is different when it comes to healing...today might be painful, but tommorrow better. I have had several surgeries including gallbladder removal surgery and thought it would compare, both were laproscopic, but the lapband surgery recovery was different and took a bit longer. I was back to work in 6 days and feeling a bit tired but good, and you will too!

Take care and get some rest, drink your fluids and get lots of sleep.

Hello everyone, I am new to the formum. Just got home from the hospital. Had Lap band and hiatial hernia. Feel terrible, pain is very bad even with medication. Also I am having exiety attacks. I am taking Xanas to try and cope. How have you guys coped with pain and lack of sleep. I need help.

thanks

Herb

How are you today? Still as bad with pain? How about the anxiety. Check in so we know you are doing ok.

herb

The band was done by Dr Arif Ahmad a leader on long ialsnd laprosocpic surgery. I am hoping that the pain gets less and less each day. I have a post op viist with the doctor on Thursday. I am amazed that you had no pain. "Every one I have spoken with said it took 4 to 4 days for pain to subside. You are very fortunate... Thanks for repy

Herb

As someone on my support group said, "You wouldn't have this problem if you'd had it done in Mexico," and after all I've read you couldn't pay me to have it done in the States.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I know anxiety attacks suck. I take warm baths to help relax when I get on edge. You should be ok with a bath if you don't put anything in the water and keep your incisions dry. A little water like from a shower won't hurt them but you don't want them soaking.

The band was done by Dr Arif Ahmad a leader on long ialsnd laprosocpic surgery. I am hoping that the pain gets less and less each day. I have a post op viist with the doctor on Thursday. I am amazed that you had no pain. "Every one I have spoken with said it took 4 to 4 days for pain to subside. You are very fortunate... Thanks for repy

Herb

I too, was banded in Mexico and had no pain whatsoever. Never took a pian pill and in fact, didn't even stay overnight at the clinic. So severe pain would really concern me!

hi clyn. thank s for the answer back. I hope that buy sunday the pain in the one area will subisde. I think I have the anxiety licked thanks to xanax and zolof.

It is really very pleasant chatting with nice people who have gone through the same thing you have. I is really a santiy check.

Best regards,

Herb

I had my surgery in Ontario, Canada and I did have post-op pain and was basically in bed for 3 days...not until day 4 did I feel semi-normal. I walked like an 80 year old woman for a few days and had my hand on my port scar for weeks to protect it, it was very tender for about a month. Needless to say, I wasn't up shopping the next day.

Everyone is different when it comes to healing...today might be painful, but tommorrow better. I have had several surgeries including gallbladder removal surgery and thought it would compare, both were laproscopic, but the lapband surgery recovery was different and took a bit longer. I was back to work in 6 days and feeling a bit tired but good, and you will too!

Take care and get some rest, drink your fluids and get lots of sleep.

Hi Kathy, The pain you had seems more realistic. I know all will be better, this forum really helps me mentally. Such nice people sharing experiences and giving encouragement. I can't wait to start singing again. I have a barbershop quartet and chorus and miss the performances very much. But I know with 115 poulnd less on my body I should be able to sing for along time

Stay well and thank again for the reply

Harmonyherb

Glad to hear you are doing better today. I love barbershop quartets, they are sooo cool to listen to. Such talent. Yes losing weight will certainly help you sing! Are you still on a liquid diet? How's that for you?

Hello Julie,

Yes still on liquids, thank god for apple juice, chocolat pudding and jello. All my medications and nurtriant are mixed in so I can tolerate quite well. I fimly believe that once that severe pain on the lower left subsside i will feel human again. We are getting there. Thanks for come back.

Harmony herb

Hi Harmonyherb! It is good to hear that you are doing better. Hopefully you will feel like yourself again soon. I think most of us were sore but the severe pain didn't sound right. I'm glad it is nothing serious.

Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted on your progress!

Erin :D

Hi Harmonyherb,

I dont know why you are having so much pain, maybe it because of the hiatial hernia, I dont know what that is but I did read that another of your responders said they had that too and had no pain. I had my surgery in Mexico and like most of the others had no pain. I would like to know if you have called your center or your emergency contact # yet? I did see that one of your responders had the same pain you did but I really think it is not normal for you to be in this much pain. Did the Dr. tell you that you would have this type of pain? I also noticed that someone said she was eating pudding and jello. I was not allowed to eat that right after surgery. I was only allowed clear broth, gatorade and energy drinks, after 10 days I was allowed Ensure but found that the Slimfast shakes were much better and had more flavors. The last week I was allowed Yogurt Drinks not actual yogurt. Be careful with what you are eating those first few weeks. I really hope you are feeling better and that woman who had the same type of surgery as you was right, everyone does heal differently, just as everyone loses weight differently, I really want to know that you have called the emergency contact #.

Good Luck. Stefany

Hi Sthpanie,

Thanks so much for your input. I have spoken to my surgeon. He says that where the port is had the most surgical activity and it is not uncommon to have pain for 5 or 6 days. I must say that all the pain associated with the introduction of air in the abdomem and as well as the acutual surgery is well dissappated. I am doing fine in the upper torso and lower right part of the abdomen. The pain is in the lower left and does get a little less with each day. Thank god for xanax and Zolof, no panic attacks since last thursday. The day after surgery was the worst. Pain and the after affects of anesthesia. Now I am eating chocolate pudding which helps to get my mediations down. And it taste great with choclate whey. MY diet right now which is 5 days after surgery is suger free jello, yogurt, apple juice no suger added, protein whey chocolate flavored, jello instant chocolate pudding. I crush all my medications and mix them in the chocolotate pudding. When I meet with my surgeon on Tuesday, I will bring all my mediattions and find out which ones I can swollow whole and which have to be crushed.

Thanks so much for your feed back,

I send you an elecrronic hug!!!!!!!!

Herb

Sounds like you are doing better today Herb. Glad you are over the hurdle. I'd like to say it's all downhill from here but it's not. Certainly you have been through the worst most acute type pain I want to assure you this, but it's sort of like a roller coaster ride for a few weeks. For me the addiction to food was so prevalent I was actually "withdrawing" from it. Still do sometimes. I wasn't so prepared for all the mental strength this would take. I have days that go by no problem but then BAM I get off track. You're doing great so just stay positive, don't worry, be happy and all will be right ;)

hi clyn. thank s for the answer back. I hope that buy sunday the pain in the one area will subisde. I think I have the anxiety licked thanks to xanax and zolof.

It is really very pleasant chatting with nice people who have gone through the same thing you have. I is really a santiy check.

Best regards,

Herb

Are you able to take your pills, I take zoloft, I was just wondering how they go down?

Sounds like you are doing better today Herb. Glad you are over the hurdle. I'd like to say it's all downhill from here but it's not. Certainly you have been through the worst most acute type pain I want to assure you this, but it's sort of like a roller coaster ride for a few weeks. For me the addiction to food was so prevalent I was actually "withdrawing" from it. Still do sometimes. I wasn't so prepared for all the mental strength this would take. I have days that go by no problem but then BAM I get off track. You're doing great so just stay positive, don't worry, be happy and all will be right ;)

Hello Julie,

Thank you for your input. Yes today is better than yesterday. Walked around the block with a walker. Still hurts when I walk, but the pain is getting less and less. This is the time of year to have this operation. Took a bottle of Instapure on to the patio, sipped with a lot of ice and read the sunday papers. Only thing mssing was the rum. It is a beautiful day and I love to watch the birds and listen to my swimming pool water girgle. It must be a bitch to do this in the winter when it is hard to get out. I crushed a small piece if banana and added it to my Liie and Fit yogurt. Mushed it real well, what a treat.

Julie,

Please don't lose sight of why you went through this hell to begin with. Surgery, pain, recovery. limited foods, highly restricted diet. Why are we doing all this crap? First, to live longer and better lives. Second to gain personal confidence in our appearance and ourselves and yes to enjoy sex more. I know that as you progress through each stage you will be so proud of what you have accomplished. Your not alone, many of us have misgiviings, can we make it to goal, will we screw up, how long can we eat liquids, how will we handle solids. How about that niew wardrobe. Wouldn't it be wonderful to go into any mall and be able to by something other gloves, earmuffs or cologne. For me my choices were gloves, ties and socks period. Everything else I went to the big mens shop or on line. Think of the gratification you will have. We will be there with you. Feel like crap give us a call, someone, will answer.

With A hug ,

Harmony Herb

Are you able to take your pills, I take zoloft, I was just wondering how they go down?

Hi Stormy,

What a pretty face. I crush my zolof and xanax and mix with my Jello Instant no fat sugar free chocolate pudding. Never taste the pills at all. The pudding hides it all. Try it you love it.

Talk to you soon.

Herb

Julie,

Please don't lose sight of why you went through this hell to begin with. Surgery, pain, recovery. limited foods, highly restricted diet. Why are we doing all this crap? First, to live longer and better lives. Second to gain personal confidence in our appearance and ourselves and yes to enjoy sex more. I know that as you progress through each stage you will be so proud of what you have accomplished. Your not alone, many of us have misgiviings, can we make it to goal, will we screw up, how long can we eat liquids, how will we handle solids. How about that niew wardrobe. Wouldn't it be wonderful to go into any mall and be able to by something other gloves, earmuffs or cologne. For me my choices were gloves, ties and socks period. Everything else I went to the big mens shop or on line. Think of the gratification you will have. We will be there with you. Feel like crap give us a call, someone, will answer.

With A hug ,

Harmony Herb

What an uplifting man you are. You are so right with EVERYTHING you said. Thank you for your wonderful words of support and encouragement. You made my day!!