How much excess skin do you really have?

OK...I need some input from everyone about how they are doing with the excess skin that comes with the weight loss. I am 5'1" and started out at 268. As of today, my 4 month anniversary, I weight 201. I just love to see how much narrower my body has become, but when the clothes come off and I stop holding my stomach in, I feel like I don't look any different..and unfortunately that's due to the nasty apron of skin around the belly. I even notice that the inside of my thighs have started to look like drapes. Not a pretty picture, huh? At 49 years of age, I know the skin isn't going to bounce back like a 20 year old, but what have you all been doing to help your skin "catch up" with your weight loss? Is it possible to exercise enough so that your body gets toned? Unless I win the lottery, a tummy tuck or any other tuck is out of the question. I have a gym membership and basically I'm doing the treadmill, the bike and sit ups. I believe a younger bandster will have an easier time of toning the body, but what about us older bandsters? I would love to just relax my body, instead of feeling like I always have to pull my gut in. So what kind of toning moves are you doing and do you think it makes a difference?

Thanks

Barb

The only place I may need help is my tummy. It is still huge! Maybe it's from having kids? Who knows but I hate it!

I had extra skin, the only way I could get rid of it was with surgery. Unfortunately for most its most likely not going to snap back - I wish I could tell you otherwise. However I found that a tummy tuck can be affordable, or at least doable. Right now at my plastic surgeon Dr. Nyte in Maple Valley WA, you could have a tummy tuck for $3950 and sign up for credit care and have no interest for six months to one year if you quality. If you received no interest for a year you would have to make payments of $330 a month to pay it off before the interest kicks in.

http://www.nytesurgical.com/index.cfm/PageID/2966

Its great to loose the weight and get healthy. At 46 its amazing to look at your body naked and love how it looks!

Cosmo in Mexico is also a great option. And look locally – sometimes plastic surgeons will run specials, you never know.

Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear and I hope the best for you!

Lisa

Hello.

I wanted to share an unpopular opinion, but if somebody sees this and thinks twice about resorting to surgery for the matter then I think it is worth it.

Essentially, I agree with what you'll find on this page: http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

If I'm not allowed to post links, I apologize!

I think with proper exercise/diet/nutrition you can firm the skin up-- it is a living organism! That is important to remember; it will repair itself when damaged, it will stretch when it needs to, and it will also firm up.

That's not to say you can't just go get surgery, you can. Just a bit costly ;)

OK...I need some input from everyone about how they are doing with the excess skin that comes with the weight loss. I am 5'1" and started out at 268. As of today, my 4 month anniversary, I weight 201. I just love to see how much narrower my body has become, but when the clothes come off and I stop holding my stomach in, I feel like I don't look any different..and unfortunately that's due to the nasty apron of skin around the belly. I even notice that the inside of my thighs have started to look like drapes. Not a pretty picture, huh? At 49 years of age, I know the skin isn't going to bounce back like a 20 year old, but what have you all been doing to help your skin "catch up" with your weight loss? Is it possible to exercise enough so that your body gets toned? Unless I win the lottery, a tummy tuck or any other tuck is out of the question. I have a gym membership and basically I'm doing the treadmill, the bike and sit ups. I believe a younger bandster will have an easier time of toning the body, but what about us older bandsters? I would love to just relax my body, instead of feeling like I always have to pull my gut in. So what kind of toning moves are you doing and do you think it makes a difference?

Thanks

Barb

Try to stay positive Barb, before being banded i spoke to my Dr about the extra skin especially around my waist after having 3 kids,.. he said to give your body 2 years before even considering any surgery for the extra skin..he said majority of the extra skin as a living organ will slowly start to fit our new body... but not as quick or as perfect as we would like due to skin elasticity ... but there is still hope for us !

Try to stay positive Barb, before being banded i spoke to my Dr about the extra skin especially around my waist after having 3 kids,.. he said to give your body 2 years before even considering any surgery for the extra skin..he said majority of the extra skin as a living organ will slowly start to fit our new body... but not as quick or as perfect as we would like due to skin elasticity ... but there is still hope for us !

Good to hear. I am so much the wimp when it comes to pain I just can't imagine having any cosmetic surgery.

Anyway I think modern medicine is great for those that can afford it. For those of us who can't, or perhaps just don't want to put ourself through this than we will have to stick to good old mother nature and lots of exercise. I have heard Pilates is really good for toning and someday hope to be able to do it. Also Yoga(?) perhaps. If you belong to a gym sign up for maybe even 1 or 2 training sessions to get some tips on the best toning exercises. I know free weights and those tension bands are great too. Try to use the stationary weight machines starting now also. They are great for beginners. Good luck and congratulations on your great loss so far.

Kevin -- great link..

I've read that article before, and it does make sense to be honest.

Unfortunately, I have a friend who had gastric bypass surgery, who weighed 300lbs, after surgery she's down to about 170ish... but she's still the same shape as she was at 300. Just a smaller version of it.

She refuses to exercise, and gets frustrated why her body isn't "toning" up as she loses weight. You need to build muscle to work on that form.

Thanks again for the link!

• 1 month later...

i think the loose skin is a combination result of how big you are, how long youve been overweight, and genetics. i saw this clip on youtube of this guy who lost 375 on his own (and good for him!!! <3) but he's got a lot of loose skin. so, not just wls patients suffer this. i dont think everyone can just excersise loose skin off.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=EDGHuuEn_FI&...feature=related

i think the loose skin is a combination result of how big you are, how long youve been overweight, and genetics. i saw this clip on youtube of this guy who lost 375 on his own (and good for him!!! <3) but he's got a lot of loose skin. so, not just wls patients suffer this. i dont think everyone can just excersise loose skin off.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=EDGHuuEn_FI&...feature=related

You are bang on!

Everyone is different, there are many factors involved in whether or the skin will bounce back and maybe only in certain areas...I am working my butt off to firm up the areas like arms, legs, hips and butt to avoid surgery in those areas, but my tummy is beyond repair. I carried two 9lb boys and have been overweight for 10 years...I am not 20 anymore, now 45 and after working so hard to lose 140 lbs, if I need surgery to make my body look like 140 lbs, I'm there!!

OK, I'm sorry I held off before - but the body fat guy.... Come on now - we're pretty smart people, that's why we researched, choose Dr. Ortiz and got our lap bands. A primary healthcare practitioner?????? with a background as a Registered Massage Therapist, is telling us about the Myth of Loose Skin......

If you are an obese person, have been for a while and want to spend money on this - go for it. Before you do, have a true consultation with a doctor. Many young people have elastic in their skin, they do - its what we have when we're younger, and if you haven't stretched it out too much for too long, you might be able to bring it back in. However if you are obese and older and you've been there a while - most likely not. (If your not obese - you might still have hope - wait, exersize and see).

I believe in long term studies, and backing by science - this is a slick website with a lot of shiny shit – the kind I hate because it generally takes good peoples money and gives them nothing in return.

Do your homework first – consults cost nothing, and sorry to vent but its annoyed me for too long. I work for Doctors who do a lot of good in the world and are involved in the studies to help people (no not about loose skin) but the kind that makes a difference. This aint one of them.

But if you like shiny shit - go for it.

OK, I'm sorry I held off before - but the body fat guy.... Come on now - we're pretty smart people, that's why we researched, choose Dr. Ortiz and got our lap bands. A primary healthcare practitioner?????? with a background as a Registered Massage Therapist, is telling us about the Myth of Loose Skin......

If you are an obese person, have been for a while and want to spend money on this - go for it. Before you do, have a true consultation with a doctor. Many young people have elastic in their skin, they do - its what we have when we're younger, and if you haven't stretched it out too much for too long, you might be able to bring it back in. However if you are obese and older and you've been there a while - most likely not. (If your not obese - you might still have hope - wait, exersize and see).

I believe in long term studies, and backing by science - this is a slick website with a lot of shiny shit – the kind I hate because it generally takes good peoples money and gives them nothing in return.

Do your homework first – consults cost nothing, and sorry to vent but its annoyed me for too long. I work for Doctors who do a lot of good in the world and are involved in the studies to help people (no not about loose skin) but the kind that makes a difference. This aint one of them.

DITTO!!!!

TWO PEOPLE I WORK WITH, IN THERE LATE 40's, BOTH HIT THE GYM TOGETHER. ONE FOR 6 YEARS, THE OTHER NOW FOR 3 YEARS. BOTH LOST THEIR WEIGHT WITH ALOT OF HARD WORK AND ARE EXCERISE-A-HOLICS, IF YA ASK ME LOL BOTH ALSO WATCH EVERY MORSEL THAT GOES IN THEIR MOUTHS. BOTH HAVE TRAINERS. THE FIRST GAL HAD HER TUMMY TUCK A YEAR AGO THIS PAST JULY AS IT WASN'T COMING OFF AFTER 6 YEARS AT THE GYM 5 DAYS A WEEK. THE OTHER GAL IS GOES IN FOR HER TT NEXT SPRING BREAK.

I'M NOT SAYING IT'S NOT DOABLE BUT BE REALISTIC, GENES, AGE, BEGINNING WEIGHT, NUMBER OF CHILDREN ETC

Lisa, I love love love your post. Thanks so much for posting. My family thinks I am going crazy because they always see me sitting at the computer laughing to myself. They just don't understand all the dang funny stuff I read from this group.

But seriously, I checked out that link and thought exactly what you just stated in your post. Just another scam to make money in the weightloss industry. Tummy tuck, I am on my way!!!

I have some loose skin (I am almost 27, have been over weight about 7 years which started with the birth of my son) mainly in the lower belly pooch... I actually thought I was going to need an under arm lift for the bat wings and a thigh lift but since I have started working out with weights and a personal trainer this month I can already see a huge improvement in my under-arm area and a little bit of change in my tummy...

I still want to have another child (and hubby is hoping for 2 more) so a TT is out for me right now, but I guess I will re-evaluate things after that time... For now I feel confident/great in a swimsuit and only a little icky when totally naked but since hubby is the only one seeing me and it's not affecting my dropping clothing sizes I am not complaining!!!