Third day of pre-op

This is my third day of preparation for lap band on September 4. The first day was torture; second bearable and third day stinks. I probably ate too much although only 1/2 of what I usually eat.

I've been told I can have two protien shakes a day, powder provided by Dr. Luttrell and one meal. Total 1000 calories.

One person in the office told me I needed to lose five pounds, the other said ten then changed it to 14 when I had gained weight since my first weigh in....

What is the safe amount of loss?

i know I'm doing what's right even in the weak, headache, shaky moments.

Would love some feedback. I've read much of this forum and am totally impressed.

First of all congratulations of your upcoming surgery and you new change of life. I am glad you found this forum. To let you know most of us, although not everyone on here were banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. He has a certain pre-op diet with like 3 choices of plans to do depending on how much time before surgery. It sounds like you may be having surgery with another surgeon though. If so follow their recommendations. We all were recommended to lose 5% of our body weight if our BMI was above like 32(?) or so. Most people would eat 2 shakes a day, slim fast, atkins, or any protein powders to mix your own. For dinner we were to eat a lean cuisine type frozen dinner or any other brand like smart ones, healthy choice and you get the drift. I was careful not to get ones with high carbs and low protein but the opposite. If we needed a snack we could have lettuce greens, cucumber, spinach, and a few other vegetables raw. Also we could have ministrone soup, 1/2 to 1 cup for a snack if we needed it. We needed to drink minimum 2 liters of water each day.

It is confusing when they switch information on you about how much to lose. Just stick with the diet plan they recommend to the letter and you will be fine. The point is to lose fat around your liver which is where you lose fat first and so by doing this it makes visualization much easier for the surgeon during surgery. Sometimes the numbers don't reflect this type of fat loss either. Just stick to the plan. You could also have any type of sugar free snacks like jello, popsicles, and I did use special K protein water to tide me over. Also you can add some sort of fiber product to keep you full longer. I use benefiber which dissolves completely and is undectable in liquids and foods. Hope this helps.

:lb4: You can do this

This is my third day of preparation for lap band on September 4. The first day was torture; second bearable and third day stinks. I probably ate too much although only 1/2 of what I usually eat.

I've been told I can have two protien shakes a day, powder provided by Dr. Luttrell and one meal. Total 1000 calories.

One person in the office told me I needed to lose five pounds, the other said ten then changed it to 14 when I had gained weight since my first weigh in....

What is the safe amount of loss?

i know I'm doing what's right even in the weak, headache, shaky moments.

Would love some feedback. I've read much of this forum and am totally impressed.

The safe amount to lose depends on what your starting weight is and how much time you have before surgery. It sounds like you don't have very much time. And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I couldn't get the weight loss going until I dropped down to about 800 calories per day for my pre-op. And yes, I have DAILY headaches and what I call foggy brain. It's weird because I don' actually feel hunger so much anymore (6 1/2 weeks on the pre-op diet) But I even though I don't feel hungry, I feel the effects of not eating a healthy amount of nutrition. I am so lathargic and seriously, I think my brain has turned to mush. And the headaches really get me. Make sure you drink tons of water, this helps with the headaches and the weight loss. Sometimes the headaches are from dehydration. With such a short time before surgery, I would say you should be drinking just the protein shakes for all three meals. But this is just my opinion. This is how it works for those doing the pre-op diet with dr. Ortiz. If you only have one week before surgery, you just drink the shakes 3 times daily. You have just a little more time than that. Hope this helps.

Congratulations to you on the success you've acheived. A good feeling, I'm sure.

Thank you so much for responding. I am doing this in the US...but I'm pretty impressed with all done in Mexico.

Today was better, just had my meal and it's nice that you explained so much, especially about the liver.

I've switched and am having my meal mid-day now, and that has made it a little easier. This is my fourth day....

If I may, can you tell me how easy it was for you to move around after surgery? Will I be up and around in one, two days?

I know it varies for each person, just like to know what you've experienced. I've only talked to one other person and she works for the doctor....love unfiltered information!

Thank you again.

The headaches are really bothering me. It is has been about a week pre-op diet and I have only lost 3 pounds and then i get on the scale and it says i gained it all back. I really need a reliable scale. I think it is messed up. I may try to go somewhere, where I can really weigh myself. There has to be somewhere. I can feel in my stomach that I have lost because it is not sticking out as much. But who knows. I feel kinda sick, tired and headachey. I am sure it is withdrawl but not sure what to do about it. I am thirsty, so it is probebly that I haven't had enough water. I keep forgetting. I really wish I could take a nap but my son wont cooperate with that one. Any how, just make sure to drink that water, take it from someone who forgets, it is important.

The safe amount to lose depends on what your starting weight is and how much time you have before surgery. It sounds like you don't have very much time. And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I couldn't get the weight loss going until I dropped down to about 800 calories per day for my pre-op. And yes, I have DAILY headaches and what I call foggy brain. It's weird because I don' actually feel hunger so much anymore (6 1/2 weeks on the pre-op diet) But I even though I don't feel hungry, I feel the effects of not eating a healthy amount of nutrition. I am so lathargic and seriously, I think my brain has turned to mush. And the headaches really get me. Make sure you drink tons of water, this helps with the headaches and the weight loss. Sometimes the headaches are from dehydration. With such a short time before surgery, I would say you should be drinking just the protein shakes for all three meals. But this is just my opinion. This is how it works for those doing the pre-op diet with dr. Ortiz. If you only have one week before surgery, you just drink the shakes 3 times daily. You have just a little more time than that. Hope this helps.

If you are feeling this crummy- headaches, woozy, then you are not getting enouth calories or protein or water. You need to have something three times/day. (shakes, fat free soups, puddings, boiled egg, etc.) You can order "protein bullets" on bariatriceating.com- they only take a couple of days to get there and they literally saved my life after surgery. (I had put them in my suitcase, and had them the first two weeks-1/day.) I got more and more tired and felt like s---. Called up the center, Dr. Acosta told me to get more protein and water.- I was only three days post op. (thought I was drinking enough)-

These "Bullets" have >40 grams/3 oz. If you empty one in a water bottle and add water to taste (it is too sweet without it). and sip it during the day, you will feel okay. After one bottle, I felt 100 xs better. 1. You need 60-80 gms protein/day to heal. 2. If you are woozy, it is either because your electrolytes are screwed up or because your blood pressure is labile. Either one makes you feel crummy. Headaches are also from sugar or caffeine withdrawel, esp in the first few days.

The center says to eat protein, protein, protein. You do not have to cut back on calories to starvation levels if you try to cut out fat, have vegetables, and very little fruit, and no carbs if possible. It essentially is the Atkins or south beach diet. You put your body into ketosis, which is why your mouth is dry and your breath is bad. Both of these signs says you are losing weight. When in ketosis, you have to drink a lot of water because it is harder on your kidneys.

The headaches are really bothering me. It is has been about a week pre-op diet and I have only lost 3 pounds and then i get on the scale and it says i gained it all back. I really need a reliable scale. I think it is messed up. I may try to go somewhere, where I can really weigh myself. There has to be somewhere. I can feel in my stomach that I have lost because it is not sticking out as much. But who knows. I feel kinda sick, tired and headachey. I am sure it is withdrawl but not sure what to do about it. I am thirsty, so it is probebly that I haven't had enough water. I keep forgetting. I really wish I could take a nap but my son wont cooperate with that one. Any how, just make sure to drink that water, take it from someone who forgets, it is important.

Read the post above from me and:

I use a healthometer scale from walmart (battery operated): http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8245670

in my office. It is dead on accurate all of the time. (You must tap it with your foot, it will say CAL and when it changes to "0" then you step on it to weight.) A lot of people don't do this which is why the reviews were mixed. ANYWAY: it goes up to 300lbs. and costs $20 + batteries

Not to try to discourage anyone, but Divatoo if you don't like the first 3 days of pre op diet, you ain't gonna like the poet op any better. I am on day 11 and this is the first day I've had any trouble, but I'll make it through and so can you. I lost 38 lbs. before my surgery. Good luck.

Thanks so much to everyone. I will try those protein things, appreciate the tip. TOday has been much, much better.

I know that I will make it but I'm a writer and my brain tends to not want to work when I'm hungry.....this site looks like it's going to be great for me, really appreciate ALL the information and pep talks....