Newbie here saying hello from Utah

Hello everyone!

I just thought I'd stop lurking and come out and say hello to everyone. I'm Jessica from Utah and I found this forum through a link on the Obesity Control Center site. I've been researching Lap Band surgery for a month now and just today discussed the idea with my husband of 13 years. He was for it and what it would mean for my health and I couldn't be more happy.

I'm a bit scared about this decision, but more than that I'm super excited for the future.

Looking forward to getting to know more of you!

Welcome to the group. You'll find so many wonderful people here to ask questions, share stories and your struggles and accomplishments with! We are all in it together, and this forum becomes an addiction (better than food, that's for sure).

Good luck on your journey.

Denise

Hello everyone!

I just thought I'd stop lurking and come out and say hello to everyone. I'm Jessica from Utah and I found this forum through a link on the Obesity Control Center site. I've been researching Lap Band surgery for a month now and just today discussed the idea with my husband of 13 years. He was for it and what it would mean for my health and I couldn't be more happy.

I'm a bit scared about this decision, but more than that I'm super excited for the future.

Looking forward to getting to know more of you!

HEY, I'm Jessica from UTAH too!!!! How cool is that?? What part of Utah? I live in Davis county. I am being banded in 5 days. Are you thinking of going to Mexico, or trying to get it done in Utah. I know there are good surgeons in Utah who do it, but the surgey costs about double what it would be to go to Mexico. My insurance would cover it if I was wiling to wait TWO years for it. We just got new insurance and they have this clause that gives limited coverage for the first 2 years. I didn't want to wait, so I decided to pay for it myself and go to Mexico. Anyway, well, welcome to a fellow Utahn and to a fellow Jessica

:lb9: Jessica from Utah #2!!! So glad you came to say Hi. This forum is invaluable to me. I was skeptical of the whole "Mexico" thing but after careful research and a friend who went before me I was convinced this was the best place to go, no matter what. Dr. Ortiz was trained by the Inamed company that makes the lapband and he has taught hundreds, if not thousands to put it it. As someone else once said here "why go to the student when you can get the teacher"?

Let us know when you schedule!!

What a fun thing to wake up to this morning!! Hello girls! What are the chances of two Utah Jessicas??

I'm so happy to meet all of you and can't wait to know more about this process. My plan is to have my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz, but I haven't spoken to anyone at the center yet. I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning.

Utah bandsters...do you get your fills back in Dr. Ortiz' office or here in Utah? If in Utah, where do you go? Do they use floro? I saw a post from someone else in Utah last night. She lives in Riverton. Small world!

Thanks for all the welcoming words. I'm so happy to know you all!!

the other Jessica in Utah

Where in Utah do you live. I am the other Jessica and I live in Layton. There are a few choices here for fills. We have a fills center, USA in SLC. But I have heard mixed reviews about the doc there. I am being banded in 5 days, so I have not yet used any fill docs. Also, there is a bariatric doc in SLC named Dr. Cottam. He will do fills for $100, but he does them blind, no flouro. He is the only actual bariatric doc in the wasatch front that will do fills on mexican banded patients. Also, if you live more north, there is another fill center in Pocatello. It's 2 hours from where I am. I have heard better things about this doc, then the SLC fill center. But then you have to add gas money to cost of the fill if you go to Pocatello. I have priced flights from SLC to San deigo for same day fills, and it's about the same as if you stay here and the fill done in SLC. However, if you return to Tijuana and stay the night, you will pay more to return. I honestly have not yet decided what I am going to do. I know it's one of those options, and I know your suppose to set up aftercare before you have the surgery, but I just don't know which route to take. I haven't been able to find a lot of other banded patients here in Utah that I get feed back from. There other thing you could consider is this. Say you have a good friend or family member in another state. You could see if there is a good fill doctor near where that person lives, and make it a fill and visit trip. Many people on this group live all over and can recommend great fill docs. Maybe you would have a friend or family member near that doc. Plus, you wouldn't have to pay for hotel if you could stay at that person's house.