How bad is the pain post op?

I am new to this forum and have learned so much from all of you. Thanks you. I am scheduled for band on sept 12 and will be back at work on Monday the 15th? Was this possible for any of you? How bad was the pain on scale of 1 to 10? I had a gallbladder surgery that kept me down two weeks but all my friends were like its nothing??? So I want a realistic view of what this could be?

For me the pain wasn't bad at all. I didn't have my surgery at OCC, rather in the states. However, I wasn't in pain at all after the surgery, albeit the gas. For me, I just felt foggy for the first couple of weeks. I stopped taking in enough calories and ended up only getting 300 - 400 calories a day the first week and that didn't make me feel very good at all. I just suggest having enough liquid calories around you to keep your strength up. Buy some of the protein bullets and have plently of clear liquids to keep hydrated. I think that was the one thing I messed up those first 2 weeks not getting enough nutrition. After the first 2 weeks I felt great. I have short term disabiity at my job and I got 1 month off from work to recupriate which was awesome because I was home the entire month of July. I am thankful for that time because it allowed me to become one with the band (yes sensai). ;)

I didn't really have pain. It was more just really sore; I felt like someone had punched me really hard in the stomach. You walk around like your an old women not out of pain but just because your abdominal area is sore and any slight stretch or movement you feel. I had my surgery on a Thursday and went back to work the following Wednesday.

Welcome and congrats on your decision to get the band!

I was banded in Canada on June 10th. I was in pain for the first 3-4 days, there would have been no possible way to return to work. I took 6 days off and although I was tired, which is normal after any surgery, I was able to perfrom an office job. If you have a job more intensive than that, you may want to book more time off, just incase you need it.

Best of Luck to you!!

I had about 10 days off work but that's because I had vacation time. They didn't know what it was for. I didn't have pain afterwards, sore I guess. At about a week or 2 I got really sore and it took me a few days to figure out why it was the worst yet. I had pulled the overgrown weeds out of my garden for about 3 hours. I guess it was too much. As soon I as quit that it got good again. I was really pleased with the amount of pain, I should say lack of it. I took the pain pills they gave me only because I live in the north east and it's a long flight. Once I got home I didn't take any more.

Also a woman I work with in her 60's had it done on a friday, locally, and was back to work on monday.

HELLO, just got banded Aug 18th on a Monday and flew home to Texas on Wednesday. I had to spend the next two days in bed because I was very very tired. I am now seven days post op and just starting to feel like myself. I for one think you will need to take more time off. Good Luck!

Everyone is different. Had I NEEDED to, I could have gone back after three days. But I took a week and was glad I did.

This is a walk in the park compared to a c-section. The gas pains sucked, but you find ways to manage it.

Hello-- my teenage daughter and I were both banded on a Thursday afternoon and were back at school and work on the following Monday with no problems. Actually, we arrived home to Florida from Mexico at 1am in the morning Sunday, and I was up unpacking and to church by 9am. If you happen to have the "gas" experience you will be amazed at the sounds your lower body is capable of making (laugh). Our best to you! Diana (and Alyssa)

Hi, I am now 11 days post-op and the worst for me was the gas pains. Oh, they were bad and sometimes walking didn't help--but lying down did. It either pushed the gas up or down...and out. I did have some tenderness/soreness on my "port" side for about 6 days and you really will be amazed at the sounds your stomach/lower abdomen make, even when you are not hungry. Is you work in an office...I would try to take a couple of extra days off because sitting for long periods of time made my gassy-ness worse. It's like sitting would get the gas "bubbles"? (I can't think of a better word) stuck and then it would be extra hard getting it to come out.

On a pleasant note, 11 days post-op, and the gas is starting to go away and the hunger isn't too bad, though I do yearn to eat something. Oddly enough, I'm craving salad. I hope this helped and good luck with your surgery. I've already lost 21 lbs so, it's totally worth it!!