Prescription Drugs that are NOT Band Friendly

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone out there knows which prescription drugs are NOT band-friendly. I know that Ibuprofin is NOT band-friendly, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any other prescription drugs that people with lap bands should NOT take.

Thanks.

(1jmk) Janet

Hi,

Ibuprofen is a no-no and any Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory because they are horrible on the stomach. From my understanding, the end result can be a band slippage. One of the bariatric doctors in Atlanta make you sign a contract with him that you will never take these medications again along with carbonated drinks.

My friend that was banded at the OCC about a year ago was doing great with her band. She had lost about 60 pounds over the year. She hurt her back, still had a great fill and was prescribed some NSAID meds. She got deathly sick. Could keep nothing down for weeks. She went to a bariatric doctor here. He saw that her band had "flipped"... not slipped yet. Took the saline out for a couple of months, she gained about 20 pounds back, and now has a fill again. It was a huge ordeal for her.

She says that the bariatric doctor blamed all of this on the medications she was taken...... Said there are pain meds available that would not hurt the band and to take only Tylenol when possible.

And anytime you go to the doctor or hospital, take your lapband cards with you.

Tylenol does nothing for me either..... So I am real interested in this thread.

Hi ackovach:

I just saw you are from the Johns Creek area, I am in Cumming, Just wanted to say hi. I too had to sign a paper saying I would not take ibuprofen. I was banded in Atlanta and my surgeon really stressed how hard it is on your stomach. Tylenol does not do the trick but that is what I take when needed.

Amy

Hi Murphy2,

I was banded at the OCC. But I saw Dr. Williams beforehand just to find out the cost. he did the whole evaluation and I found it was $25k. So I went to Mexico!!!!

But He does see patients that were banded anywhere and does fills without fluro.

For now, I am going to the fillcentersusa.com to get the fills done with fluro.

I am sure getting all done right here is nice once you have the surgery.

I could not figure out the financing part.

Did you get the realize band or the inamed?

When was your surgery?

How are you doing?

I hear with the realize band that you get a fill in 4 weeks post-op. That would be great!!!

Amy

Hi,

I got the inamed band. My surgery was in April with Dr.Daly. I too checked out Dr. Willams at Emory but went with Dr. Daly. I have never felt better! I am down 42 lbs with two fills and I am getting a third 9/8/2008. I wish I would have gone to TJ but am glad I had it here. All fills for a year are included and follow up for 3 years. It was in a surgery center and not a hospital so the cost was lower, 13k, but not as low as TJ. This forum is what got me going, I do not post much but read it all the time.

Amy

I just spoke with my surgeon's office and they said that Advil/Ibuprofen in small quantities is fine, liquid Advil is better than pill form. Tylenol is a better choice.

She said that NSAIDS can erode the band if taken in significant quantities.

Cathy is right (or rather her surgeon). I think the docs that have you sign something are just trying to cover their a##@$ with any liability issues a person could say they weren't told. These american docs unfortunately have been scared to death from malpractice suits that are rampant in the states.