Feeling pretty terrible..

Remember when I thought I had a spider bite? Turned out to be a staph infection, probably from being bitten by a mosquito. The doctors gave me a shot of antibiotic and a prescription for a different oral antibiotic. That night I felt itchy, jittery, and anxious so I thought I was having a reaction to the antibiotics. I called the doctor back the next morning and I got an appt. with one of my primary care doctors associates, who had the worst bedside manner of any doctor I've ever been to. She gave me a new prescription for a very strong antibiotic (750mg each pill) and a prescription for a pain pill because the area around the infection was hurting really bad. I went to the pharmacy to pick them up and it turned out she sent it to the wrong pharmacy. Waited 10 extra minutes for it to be transferred only to find out she never sent the prescription for the pain med. Waited 20 extra minutes to have that sent over only to find out she forgot to fill in the quantity for how many pills. By this time it was after 5pm and I had to wait 45 minutes for the after hours nurse to reach her and find out how many pain pills she intended to prescribe me. UGH.

So, I go home, my boyfriend makes me soup, I take the pills, he gives me a long foot massage and I go to bed. By midnight, I'm bent over the toilet throwing up harder than I ever have in my life. Let me tell you, soup doesn't taste great coming back up. Twenty minutes later, I'm back at the toilet throwing up even harder. At one point, I was throwing up for so long I HAD to take a breath and I ended up choking on my own vomit. I have so many broken capillaries on my face from straining so hard that my face is purple. Every muscle in my back, neck, side, even bottom is super sore. I made an immediate appt to see MY doctor and he took excellent care of me. I decided to forego the pain pills this time and he prescribed a much better antibiotic. I also complained about the other doctor and he said he'd take care of it. I love that man. He's a friend of the family and always takes such good care of me.

Well, that's my drama. Had to complain. Sitting here praying I don't sneeze because my muscles just can't take it. Also a little worried about my band because of how violent my vomiting was, but I think I'm ok. I would know if it slipped, right? I mean, it's stitched to our stomachs, so I can't imagine I wouldn't feel a difference. I'm eating ok now and things are going down easily. Just sticking to liquids mainly. What a week..

Yikes, sorry you had such horrible time. To imagine a mosquito bite causing that much pain. They are mean little suckers especially in Florida. I am from south Alabama and have ran into some pretty mean bugs there too!! It never occurred to me that it could turn into an infection.

I hope you get to feeling better real soon.

What kind of pain medication were you prescribed? Do you think it was the pain med that caused the issue? Did you tell the prescribing doctor that you had the lapband?

feel better soon!

Amy

That just sounds horrible. I hope you feel better soon. I would be nervous too. I would think it would take alot more than that. Thousands of people have them and everybody vomits at some point. You would think they would have to be a little stronger than that.

Oh no!!! I can only imagine how awful you feel. I am so sorry you have to go through that. Staph infections are no fun.

Actually, right now I have cellulitis myself and it is very painful. I am on some strong antibiotics to. I have to keep an eye out for a blood clot. See, I fell very hard on my leg and did some serious damage to the area from my knee to my ankle. So, internally, there has been a lot of blood loss and could be creating a clot.

Anyway, I know how yucky cellulitis feels and a staph infection is just as bad. Just make sure to keep up with your yogurt to avoid any yeast - if you know what I mean, from the antibiotics. And I wouldn't worry too much about the band. It withheld my vomitting way back when I was first banded so it should be ok. I would stay on liquids only for a few days though to settle it down.

And listen buddy, GET WELL and FEEL BETTER SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry you've been so sick, Alana. I'm praying for quick healing for you and that you didn't do any damage to your band. Feel better soon!

Denise

Thanks, ladies. When I went back to see my primary doctor, he said he felt the combination of the two drugs (Levaquin and Tramadol) was too strong for me and caused an allergic reaction. I had all the side effects listed for both (nausea, vomiting, dizziness, insomnia) so he put me on a Cephlaxin (sp?) and it seems to be working much better. Darn mosquitos!!