band size

Hi Kittycat, I read in one of your posts that the size band they give you is based on your stomach size at the time of the surgery. I have the 10 cc band. I only have 45-50 pounds to lose total so does that mean my stomach was really stretched out?

Anyone else can add their thoughts too. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your help

I am not a doctor, but my surgeon did tell me that the size of the band depends on the size of the stomach at surgery.

I guess my stomach required the 9cc instead of the 12 cc (band size in Canada).

If you have a 10cc, your stomach was probably about the same size as mine????

Ask the doctors, they may be able to give you more info.

Did you have your surgery at the OCC. I was worried about getting the 10 cc band only because it can require more fills than the 4 cc. I thought for sure that I would end up with the 10 cc band because my starting weight and BMI were pretty high. But then I talked to dr. Maritnez about it before my surgery and he said that most women get the 4cc band. When I woke up in the O.R. that was the first thing he said to me was that I had gotten the band size I wanted, 4cc. But he did say that it totally depends on your stomach size. Are you tall? I think that taller people may tend to have larger anatomy on the inside. Just like taller people tend to have larger feet and hands. Just to keep the body symetric. I happen to be VERY short and thought this may have played a role in why I got the smaller band. I have small feet, small hands, etc. So I probably have smaller guts too!!! Just happens to be surrounded by lots and lots of fat at the moment. This is just my take on it. Although it could be wrong. But I do know for sure that the band size is directly related to the stomach size. I don't think that your stomach was really stretched out. If so, then all of us who are WAY more overweight than you, would have gigantic stomachs. I think it just may have been your bodies anatomy. The size you were born with, not something you did wrong.

The size of your external belly, may or maynot have any bearing on the size of our internal stomach organ. I have alot of weight on my tummy, but got the smaller band size that my surgeon uses (in Canada). However my surgeon put 3cc in my band during surgery to provide some restriction after the initial recovery stage.

I found this posted by Lori on the board previously. It was posted in 2006, so don't know if things have changed since then or not.

I guess I'm not very bright because I don't even know what size band I have. It doesn't matter to me really because I trust Dr. Ortiz to make the correct decision for me and to give me the one that I need for my size and anatomy. Is this something I need to know or to be concerned with?

Group: Admin

Member No.: 958

Hi all,

The 4cc band is the 10cm band. The larger, VG band, holds 10cc's and is 14cm long. Dr. Ortiz uses the 4cc band for most patients. For those with a higher BMI, or for those that carry more weight around their mid-section, Dr. Ortiz may use the larger VG Band (10cc). Sometimes he makes that decision while you are in surgery, but you will be informed if anything other than the standard 4cc band is used.

I hope that helps.

--------------------

Lori

Patient Care Coordinator

Obesity Control Center

Lori@obesitycontrolcenter.com

www.obesitycontrolcenter.com

1-866-376-7849 ext. 81

please remember, I'm not a doctor, so the opinions expressed are my own and what has worked for me. If you have specific questions, you should contact Dr. Ortiz

Dr. Ortiz is a licensed physician in Mexico. All items posted are for general information only. If you have specific questions please contact your personal physician.

I found this posted by Lori on the board previously. It was posted in 2006, so don't know if things have changed since then or not.

I guess I'm not very bright because I don't even know what size band I have. It doesn't matter to me really because I trust Dr. Ortiz to make the correct decision for me and to give me the one that I need for my size and anatomy. Is this something I need to know or to be concerned with?

Vix, you should have recieved a card that says what size of band you have. Mine says 10 Cm which is the 4cc band. You do need to know your band size if you are getting your fills anywhere other than the OCC. They will have record of it, but if you are using a fill doc close to you, you will need that info. The card I got is just a paper card. I think a fill doc will require or should require that you give them some kind of documentation as to the band size you have. I am sure that you can always contact the OCC to provide the records if needed.

Jessica, I am 5'2.5". I guess I do carry most of my weight in the middle portion of my body. Not my belly since I had a tummy tuck after my 4th c-section though. Since I put on weight it has been around my back and sides, my butt and my thighs. I still love my tummy and wouldn't have changed it for the world, even knowing I would gain my weight back. That surgery, $7500, was worth every darn penny. I saved for 3 years and just when i had the consultation scheduled I found out I was SURPRISE!! pregnant with our 4th child. So I cancelled the surgery and gained 61 pounds. By one year after my darling son I had lost 56 of it and had the surgery. I couldn't maintain the weight loss though so I am where I am. Thank God I found Dr. Ortiz or I wouldn't have any hope right now.