PORT QUESTION

Okay, two questions about the port.

First of all, some of you mention feeling the port after losing alot of weight. However, 9 days out from surgery and I feel something at the port incision. I am not sure if it's just a lump of scar tissue or the port. But I feel a definite lump right at the port incision. Am I right that the port incision is the big incision? If I bend over, I feel the lump too. Like I can tell something is there whenever I bend over. Is this something to be concerned about?

And question 2. If you are having your first fill and not using flouro, how on earth does the Doc find your port and know he got the saline into it. How do they know that they aren't just shooting saline into your stomach vs the port. I know that with the 2nd or subsequent fill, they can withdraw the fluid to see how much was in there, but if it's your first fill, how do they know they got the saline in there? How to do they locate the port anyway?

hello,

for your 1st question: I'm not sure if I can tell you quite how I felt 9 days after surgery b/c i experienced some horrible incision pain and didn't even want to touch my stomach at that point I don't think. As time goes on and you lose more and more weight, your port will become easier to feel with you hands and when you bend over/move in certain ways, you'll probably be able to feel the presence of the port--kind of like a lump in your stomach, as you described. Yes, for me (and most ppl, I think) the port incision is the biggest.

for your 2nd question: out of my 3 fills, I have not had one done under flouro. my doctor felt my port area, apparently found it, and just gave me my fill--in one prick, no pain, no problems. so I'm not 100% sure how they know exactly where the port is and where to inject but my dr. doesn't really use the flouro method, and I personally know other ppl who have gotten their 1st fill with him (no flouro) and have had absolutely no problems. plus, i don't think your port is quite in the same exact area as your stomach--I know mine isn't.

hope that helps! good luck with everything!

--TRS

Hi Jessica, what you are feeling is totally normal. Everytime I bent a little or leaned up against something my port area was very tender.

My surgoen told me to try not to bend too much for about 6 weeks, the port is sewn to your abdominal muscle and needs time to heal. The lump or hard tissue you are feeling is probably scar tissue, I have that too.

Second question: My surgeon does not use fluoro at all, he feels for the port and when he locates it, he puts the needle in, withdraws the existing fluid to ensure #1 he's in the right place and #2, that all of the fluid he previously injected is still there (no leaks). Then he injects it back and plus the fill amount.

You are doing great Jessica, do not hesitate to ask anything, we've all been there..or are about to be.

Hey this is good to know that people don't always have fills done under flouro. There is a bariatric doctor here in Utah who will do fills for mexican banded patients for only $100 but does not use flouro. It gives me great comfort that he is also a surgeon who does the lapband. Anyway, if I want flouro, I have to go to a fill centers and they change way more money. You guys have both had great success with fills without having flouro and this gives me hope. Thanks a bunch

Jessica, my surgeon only uses fluoro, if he can't find the port at all, after several tries of course. I like the way he pulls the existing fluid out first to check it, it gives me peace of mind that he's in the right spot and that there's no leakage.

Try the Utah fill centre and see how it goes, if you are happy with the service, it's reasonable..why not!

Your port is actually down from your biggest scar and to the left. You may be feeling some scar tissue. I still have occ pain on and near my scar when I bend over or after I have just eaten. I believe this to be normal.

You will be surprised at how they can find the port. they know about where to look for it. I know my doctor had me lay flat and put the head of the bed down and that helped the port come to surface. Now, it is much easier for her to find it as it is alot closer to the skin. things will be fine, don't sweat it.

Good LUck