Too tight again!! Why?

I was banded in 8/05. My last fill was May 2007. Last May 08 I had to have .25 cc's removed because since January 08 my band had gotten very tight to the point that where I could not sleep flat on my back, some nights, without having reflux and waking up coughing. I had always been a little too tight in mornings but I had been completely fine, otherwise, until then. I waited so long to get some removed because I thought I had irritated my band and was waiting for the swelling/irritation to go down...no such luck not even with a liquid diet. Even my liquids were getting stuck. I am now experiencing somewhat of the same...Why does my band continue to get too tight? In addition I have been burping and sliming alot even with just some liquids. I know many of us women get a little tight during the time around our menstrual cycles and possibly even a few days during ovulation...but what's the deal man....this is so annoying :angry: !!

It is too difficult to have meals in mixed company anymore:(( :bad: as only less than a handful of people know I have it.

Do you have the 4cc band or 10cc? How much of a fill do you have? Have your fills been under flouro or blind? When you do get a fill, do they take out what is already in and measure it to make sure it's the same amount?

I have the 4cc band. I currently only have ~1.25cc. All fluid is removed, to measure, before adding.

But my most curiosity is why am I okay for months before I start feeling too tight (the last time it was 8months before I felt too tight).

I understand what you are experiencing Tracy. I had my second fill on July 22, and have experienced only 5 days without having an episode. My weight has gone up because I eat poor choice foods in order to have energy to do normal work. I called the fill center, and they suggest an un-fill, but at $280 a pop, I'm not willing to spend it JUST to have to pay another $280 to get a fill in another month or two.

My condition is almost identical to you, and I think Evette's thought about stress is part of my issue. Teaching school began in early August, which is when the condition increased. My stress is not incredible, it's normal stress from a normal job (if you've ever taught, you know what I mean). But I will sit at a table, eat one spoonful of anything non-liquid, and after 30 seconds, I walk calmly to the restroom, knowing what is about to happen. There isnt enough matter inside to cause a blockage, or distress... just a spoonful. If it just sits on the band, there is restriction, which is what we want. Mine deal with an ability to burp away whatever gases are in the lower pouch, and are not getting through for some reason. It is painful, and it is embarassing. There are certain foods that are helpful - cool foods, such as ice cream (I know it's bad, but it is wonderful to sit, and NOT have to go to the restroom) and a few soups.

My energy level has dropped to beyond lethargic, and I have to drink most of my energy (energy drinks such as vitamin water, etc) and milkshakes DO make me feel better.

I do not know a solution at this point but to bear it out. Something has to give. If I go for an unfill, I probably wont go back for a fill for a long time, and I will destroy the progress that I've made so far. A day at a time has been my motto since day 1 of the banding process, and I will continue looking at this.... a day at a time.

Evette... awesome picture again... : )

Bill, Tracy,

You most likely should go in for an un-fill. But also remember what makes us tight - it’s the swelling. Whether its caused by continued BPing, TOM, stress, certain foods or whatever – if you can’t control those (meditating, no salty foods, chewing, eating slow, lots of water, whatever) you need help. Tracy, try not to eat at least an hour before bed time, and then before bed cap it with some soothing warm herb tea to help you sleep and make sure your pouch is clear. (you may already do this - just checking)

Remember, in addition if we loose weight our bands loosen. So Bill this is for you. You may want to try going on a low calorie liquid diet for a few days to try and reduce the swelling. If you start with a high protein shake in the AM to keep you energy level up, what this can do is allow the swelling to go down and you will most likely drop some weight which will also help loosen the band – try to stop the bad food choices, the truth is they are most likely hurting your energy level – they help for a short time and then you have the plunge which is the worse thing you can do.

I know its hard, I know its a pain - but if you're not going to go in for an un-fill you need to make sure you allow the swelling to go down and do whatever possible to stop having things come back up. Such as starting your morning with warm tea, and with every meal if needed.

Tracy you're had the band for a long time, have you had the two year check up where they do the thorough check up to see if you've had any erosions or other problems?

Take care,

Lisa

Wiil,

I know exactly how you feel. I too am a school teacher and I don't make the best choices of food at school when I get stressed. The only thing I found I can eat consistently is peanut M&m's, and that's not a good choice. I can't afford another fill at this time because I am currently the only one working in my home. I have a daughter in college and worry about how to pay for her school and my husband has been out on disability since July 16th. I have lost close to 70 pounds since my surgery in June 2007 and want to keep on losing. I workout at Curves and recently aquired a Bio-Force workout station, so I can workout to my heart's content. I tried to eat some solid food, mashed potatoes nut they just come back up now.

I understand what you are experiencing Tracy. I had my second fill on July 22, and have experienced only 5 days without having an episode. My weight has gone up because I eat poor choice foods in order to have energy to do normal work. I called the fill center, and they suggest an un-fill, but at $280 a pop, I'm not willing to spend it JUST to have to pay another $280 to get a fill in another month or two.

My condition is almost identical to you, and I think Evette's thought about stress is part of my issue. Teaching school began in early August, which is when the condition increased. My stress is not incredible, it's normal stress from a normal job (if you've ever taught, you know what I mean). But I will sit at a table, eat one spoonful of anything non-liquid, and after 30 seconds, I walk calmly to the restroom, knowing what is about to happen. There isnt enough matter inside to cause a blockage, or distress... just a spoonful. If it just sits on the band, there is restriction, which is what we want. Mine deal with an ability to burp away whatever gases are in the lower pouch, and are not getting through for some reason. It is painful, and it is embarassing. There are certain foods that are helpful - cool foods, such as ice cream (I know it's bad, but it is wonderful to sit, and NOT have to go to the restroom) and a few soups.

My energy level has dropped to beyond lethargic, and I have to drink most of my energy (energy drinks such as vitamin water, etc) and milkshakes DO make me feel better.

I do not know a solution at this point but to bear it out. Something has to give. If I go for an unfill, I probably wont go back for a fill for a long time, and I will destroy the progress that I've made so far. A day at a time has been my motto since day 1 of the banding process, and I will continue looking at this.... a day at a time.

Bill, Tracy,

You most likely should go in for an un-fill. But also remember what makes us tight - it’s the swelling. Whether its caused by continued BPing, TOM, stress, certain foods or whatever – if you can’t control those (meditating, no salty foods, chewing, eating slow, lots of water, whatever) you need help. Tracy, try not to eat at least an hour before bed time, and then before bed cap it with some soothing warm herb tea to help you sleep and make sure your pouch is clear. (you may already do this - just checking)

Remember, in addition if we loose weight our bands loosen. So Bill this is for you. You may want to try going on a low calorie liquid diet for a few days to try and reduce the swelling. If you start with a high protein shake in the AM to keep you energy level up, what this can do is allow the swelling to go down and you will most likely drop some weight which will also help loosen the band – try to stop the bad food choices, the truth is they are most likely hurting your energy level – they help for a short time and then you have the plunge which is the worse thing you can do.

I know its hard, I know its a pain - but if you're not going to go in for an un-fill you need to make sure you allow the swelling to go down and do whatever possible to stop having things come back up. Such as starting your morning with warm tea, and with every meal if needed.

Tracy you're had the band for a long time, have you had the two year check up where they do the thorough check up to see if you've had any erosions or other problems?

Take care,

Lisa

Hi Lisa, good advise. I never heard of this two year check up. Could you explain? Barbara

Will,

I know exactly how you feel. I too am a school teacher and I don't make the best choices of food at school when I get stressed. The only thing I found I can eat consistently is peanut M&m's, and that's not a good choice. I can't afford another fill at this time because I am currently the only one working in my home. I have a daughter in college and worry about how to pay for her school and my husband has been out on disability since July 16th. I have lost close to 70 pounds since my surgery in June 2007 and want to keep on losing. I workout at Curves and recently aquired a Bio-Force workout station, so I can workout to my heart's content. I tried to eat some solid food, mashed potatoes nut they just come back up now.

What is a two year checkup?

Are you stressed out or have anxiety? I know when I am stressed I am tighter than ever. If so, try meditating or taking a nice bath to relax you before you eat dinner. Otherwise, I would consult your doctor.

Stress!!! I think this could be it. I was promoted to a new job in January which is the time my band, all of a sudden, got too tight. In May my company laid off 300 employees and I had the job of working at the "Exit Center" checking people out....very stressful. My new job comes with a lot of milestones. When I started my new job I lost 16lbs right away, but I've gained 4 back so technically I'm still 12lbs lighter but still had to have an un-fill.....so it has to be stress.

I tried a glass of wine last night before dinner and was able to eat ><'!!!! The glass of wine relaxed me. Okay you pro's out there...since I cannot drink wine every night or at every meal, what other methods for relaxing do you suggest. As most of you, I am very busy. I work full time, have a husband and kids so my time for such relaxation is limited.

This is a very interesting topic - thank you for bringing it up! I, too, am feeling extremely tight/restricted recently... after having my fill almost a month ago, so I didn't go near as long as you did before I noticed more restriction, but still very odd. I got my fill in August on the 20th, and I felt restriction, but I could eat small amounts of food if I chewed very very well. A few weeks ago, I began having problems eating much of anything at all, and I was lucky to get down 600-700 calories per day. The other night, I tried chicken noodle soup, and it got stuck and I have never experienced so much pain in my life. I was in tears and actually began having a panic attack. After about 45 minutes of this... and sliming to go along with the panic attack, I threw up all of the chicken noodle soup I had eaten (maybe 5-8 bites). I definitely felt better, but its not good to only eat 600-700 calories per day. I can understand your frustration completely!

I definitely agree with everyone here about the stress factor playing a huge role. I began having issues when school started back. I am in my last year of a masters degree program - so I have 40 hours of my normal job, 24 hours per week in my field placement (doing individual therapy), 15 hours of class, about 10 hours of reading/outside class work and the other non-important stuff like sleeping and eating :P SO, I am extremely stressed out as this is my third year of school all year round. I need to start meditating on a regular basis again like I was doing last year. I found that meditation (along with very relaxing music), art therapy type activities, exercising, writing and reading my favorite books were the most helpful things to get me to relax a bit. Just some suggestions for all of you. Oh, and if you are interested in some EXTREMELY relaxing music look up 'brainwave symphony' by Dr. Jeffery Thompson. There are several different CDs - Dr. Thompson developed a technique for embedding brainwave audio processes into musical soundtracks. After listening for a few minutes, your own brainwaves naturally lock onto these audio pulses and help you to relax/meditate/sleep/whatever soundwave is on the CD is intended for. I.E. Delta waves help you fall asleep and relax. SO... I suggest these CDs and you can purchase them at barnes and noble or on amazon. :D

I too am a teacher and sometimes, I feel like I can't eat anything. I seem to be able to eat the bad stuff-M&M's ice ream, chocolate. When I try to eat resal good food, I get sick. I drink a SlimFast in the AM because if I try to eat anything, I get sick! For lunch, I can eat a protein bar. Dinner, that's a challenge. Sometimes, soup and sometimes nothing. It gets so frustrating.

This is a very interesting topic - thank you for bringing it up! I, too, am feeling extremely tight/restricted recently... after having my fill almost a month ago, so I didn't go near as long as you did before I noticed more restriction, but still very odd. I got my fill in August on the 20th, and I felt restriction, but I could eat small amounts of food if I chewed very very well. A few weeks ago, I began having problems eating much of anything at all, and I was lucky to get down 600-700 calories per day. The other night, I tried chicken noodle soup, and it got stuck and I have never experienced so much pain in my life. I was in tears and actually began having a panic attack. After about 45 minutes of this... and sliming to go along with the panic attack, I threw up all of the chicken noodle soup I had eaten (maybe 5-8 bites). I definitely felt better, but its not good to only eat 600-700 calories per day. I can understand your frustration completely!

I definitely agree with everyone here about the stress factor playing a huge role. I began having issues when school started back. I am in my last year of a masters degree program - so I have 40 hours of my normal job, 24 hours per week in my field placement (doing individual therapy), 15 hours of class, about 10 hours of reading/outside class work and the other non-important stuff like sleeping and eating :P SO, I am extremely stressed out as this is my third year of school all year round. I need to start meditating on a regular basis again like I was doing last year. I found that meditation (along with very relaxing music), art therapy type activities, exercising, writing and reading my favorite books were the most helpful things to get me to relax a bit. Just some suggestions for all of you. Oh, and if you are interested in some EXTREMELY relaxing music look up 'brainwave symphony' by Dr. Jeffery Thompson. There are several different CDs - Dr. Thompson developed a technique for embedding brainwave audio processes into musical soundtracks. After listening for a few minutes, your own brainwaves naturally lock onto these audio pulses and help you to relax/meditate/sleep/whatever soundwave is on the CD is intended for. I.E. Delta waves help you fall asleep and relax. SO... I suggest these CDs and you can purchase them at barnes and noble or on amazon. :D

:-?

I am in the process of talking myself into this Lap Band procedure. I am somewhat disheartend by some of the problems you folks have gone through....Are these problems that occur to everybody and the big question would you re-consider having this procedure done?

Hmmm,

Interesting question, I would never reconsider it, one of the best decisions I’ve ever made - but then I haven't had many of these problems. (So the truth is we don't all have these problems).

Have I been tight before, yes - was I able to manage it - yes. Have I lost over 125 pounds - yes. Has it always been easy - no - its a tool and you have to work it and learn how to work it. How you manage your tool is up to you - the truth is we are the operators and own how we operate it.

I'm fit, healthy, thin, and happier and look damn good for someone who just became a Grandma today! I will most likely live a much longer life since I am no longer obese and enjoy the time with my children!.

Loosing weight isn’t easy no matter what path you take – but this one is easier than most and did the job better than any of the other paths I’ve taken and I’ll be two years on 10/6/08.

Good luck with your decision and remember, many people come to the forum because they need help and advice. Many don't use it since they don't need it, they are successfully plugging along and we never hear from them. There are thousands that have received the band from Dr. Ortiz - how many are actively using this forum - a pretty small % considering how many have actually been banded.

Best and good luck with your decision.

Lisa

I am in the process of talking myself into this Lap Band procedure. I am somewhat disheartend by some of the problems you folks have gone through....Are these problems that occur to everybody and the big question would you re-consider having this procedure done?

Hi Doug,

Welcome!!

Like Lisa said, it's the best decision I have ever made and so far I have had to problems with my band, the fills or following the program to weight loss.

I hope you decide to go for it, you won't regret it!

Good Luck!

Doug,

This was the best decision I've ever made about weight loss. I would do it over again. It is just a matter of figuring out what you can and cannot eat. I just get really frustrated at times and need to vent. It is just really great to feel good and look better than I have in years. I'm looking forward to getting down to a skinny size.

I agree with Rhonda and Lisa-the-babe. I would do it again tomorrow.

All my life the skinny people (grrrrrrrrr) always talk about "Ohh... I need to lose weight... I'm getting a little big..." And I gained pounds watching the Food network. I have lost a lot of weight, thanks to the band helping me make different choices. I now have to fine tune this process, and figure more do's and don'ts so that I maximize my band's potential. But, without ANY doubt, I would do it again tomorrow. But first, I'd go buy more soups and get a passport. : )

Thank you Carrie for the suggestion of what sound to be, literally, some great tapes. I have trouble shutting my mind down at night and these may help

I don't think this restriction thing is ever predictable, even after several months or even years. To all who are having trouble I hope it gets better soon so you can eat like a "normal" bandster again!!