Emergency Visit to OCC

Got my first fill at OCC then went for a 2nd fill 6 weeks later (June 13th) at Fill Center in SLC.

Had not been able to eat very much, lost weight and thought I was fine. A few weeks ago, I began to get pain

around my rib cage after eating, also back and shoulder pain. On Labor Day, I ate normal breakfast of yogurt and cereal,

had a slice of meat for lunch, felt fine. Later that day, I could not drink or eat, nothing would go down and the pain around my rib cage was horrible. I contacted OCC and they told me to come immediately. I arrived there last Wednesday, Dr Acosta did a Barium swallow and emptied my band. He then refilled it with only 1/2 of what had been in there.

He told me the fill was way too much for me and my esophagus was pumping up and down so much that it pulled stomach tissue up and that was why I couldn't eat or drink.

Having a too tight fill can be very dangerous. In speaking with Dr Ortiz and Dr Miranda later that day, I was told if I had waited much longer, my band would have slipped and would have had to be removed.

According to Dr Ortiz, a woman should only need 1 or 2 fills in a lifetime. He went on to say that getting fills all the time was not using the band in the manner in which it was meant to be used. I am home now and feeling fine, can eat a small meal and still have some restriction. This means that I have to work harder to eat the right foods and exercise in order to utilize 'the tool' properly. So instead of depending on the fill to stop me from over eating, I now have to be in tune with my band.

Obviously, I did not need that 2nd fill. I guess from reading the forum I thought it was the right thing to do....I was wrong!

So please, all of you, really be careful. Reread the book by Dr Ortiz, and call OCC if you have a problem. The band does not tighten or loosen, it is your body talking to you, and you must listen!

Good Luck to All!

Arlene

Wow. This is really great to know. My surgery is 10/10. The Dr. that I called here locally to take care od my fills once I get home (Dallas TX) told me I will need to come once every 4-6 weeks for the 1st year of weight loss. I really think that after hearing what you have to say, I will not only want to go back to the OCC for my first fill but for all of them! I will just have to plan ahead and buy my plane tickets ahead of time when they are affordable. If I watch, I can get them for about 360.00 round trip.

Thanks for the info! Things like this make me realize I am making the right decision choosing the OCC and Dr. O! :D =D>

Arlene,

Thanks for sharing you story, I am getting banded in 3 days and I am worried about how my body will react. I know everyone is different, and has various experiences with food but its nice to know what kind of signs I should be watching out for.

Tara

Guest CaraMBA09
Got my first fill at OCC then went for a 2nd fill 6 weeks later (June 13th) at Fill Center in SLC.

Had not been able to eat very much, lost weight and thought I was fine. A few weeks ago, I began to get pain

around my rib cage after eating, also back and shoulder pain. On Labor Day, I ate normal breakfast of yogurt and cereal,

had a slice of meat for lunch, felt fine. Later that day, I could not drink or eat, nothing would go down and the pain around my rib cage was horrible. I contacted OCC and they told me to come immediately. I arrived there last Wednesday, Dr Acosta did a Barium swallow and emptied my band. He then refilled it with only 1/2 of what had been in there.

He told me the fill was way too much for me and my esophagus was pumping up and down so much that it pulled stomach tissue up and that was why I couldn't eat or drink.

Having a too tight fill can be very dangerous. In speaking with Dr Ortiz and Dr Miranda later that day, I was told if I had waited much longer, my band would have slipped and would have had to be removed.

According to Dr Ortiz, a woman should only need 1 or 2 fills in a lifetime. He went on to say that getting fills all the time was not using the band in the manner in which it was meant to be used. I am home now and feeling fine, can eat a small meal and still have some restriction. This means that I have to work harder to eat the right foods and exercise in order to utilize 'the tool' properly. So instead of depending on the fill to stop me from over eating, I now have to be in tune with my band.

Obviously, I did not need that 2nd fill. I guess from reading the forum I thought it was the right thing to do....I was wrong!

So please, all of you, really be careful. Reread the book by Dr Ortiz, and call OCC if you have a problem. The band does not tighten or loosen, it is your body talking to you, and you must listen!

Good Luck to All!

Arlene

Arlene you are so fortunate to have listened to your body! way to go!

Thanks for the info. I hope you are resting and using your tool. I bought Dr. O's book and have read it front to back, I leave on Sunday for my journey and plan on reading it again while on my way. Thanks for reminding me how important it is to be informed.

C

Guest CaraMBA09
Wow. This is really great to know. My surgery is 10/10. The Dr. that I called here locally to take care od my fills once I get home (Dallas TX) told me I will need to come once every 4-6 weeks for the 1st year of weight loss. I really think that after hearing what you have to say, I will not only want to go back to the OCC for my first fill but for all of them! I will just have to plan ahead and buy my plane tickets ahead of time when they are affordable. If I watch, I can get them for about 360.00 round trip.

Thanks for the info! Things like this make me realize I am making the right decision choosing the OCC and Dr. O! :D =D>

Dana - FYI - SW airlines has MAJOR RT airfare specials right now. Check it out...OR use sign up for farecast.com, it is free and will track ALL the airline rates for dates you input

I am right behind you and may see you at Lucerna!

oodles

C

I would be very suspicious of this doctor. No one should be going in every 4-6 for a year. That would be 8-13 fills in that year. WAY TOO MANY. That doctor sounds like he is out to make some money. And think of it this way. Add up the cost of those 8-13 fills with him. Then add the cost to travel back to the OCC for 1-3 fills. I bet it's cheaper to get the fills from the OCC. Unless you can find another local fill doc, I would go to the OCC and stay clear of the other guy.

I would be very suspicious of this doctor. No one should be going in every 4-6 for a year. That would be 8-13 fills in that year. WAY TOO MANY. That doctor sounds like he is out to make some money. And think of it this way. Add up the cost of those 8-13 fills with him. Then add the cost to travel back to the OCC for 1-3 fills. I bet it's cheaper to get the fills from the OCC. Unless you can find another local fill doc, I would go to the OCC and stay clear of the other guy.

I am going to let the OCC know they told me this. They might not want to refer patients to him anymore. RUH ROH! :o

WOW that is so good to know! I just think that Dr. O knows so much more about this than most of the US docs since he's been doing it so much longer. I will definitely go back to the OCC just because I am afraid of other stuff happening to me. Thank God you were aware of what your body was saying. I'm so glad you got it taken care of! :o

Arlene,

I'm so glad that you listened to your body and called the OCC about what was going on. It great that you were able to get this taken care of before anything bad could have happened. I'm also glad because I got the chance to meet you last week while I was there for my surgery. I just want to say thank you for all of your support and wisdom while I was there. My partner Colleen also appreciates you being there... I think she was really uncertain about the whole thing and you really put her at ease. It was great to meet you and I wish you luck in your continued weight loss!!

I'm on day six now and doing really well. I just went back to work today. Thanks again for everything, it was great to meet you!

Say hi to Ray for me!!

Arlene,

I am sooo glad that you figured that out. I have been thinking about you every day and waiting for you to post and tell us what happened. I was worried. Good for you for figuring that out. I think you got some great info from Dr. Ortiz. That is so good to know. I am sorry you had to go through that. I hope you get feeling better and that we can all listen to our bands like we are supposed to. I know that I could certainly be better at that. Good luck to you!!!! I was considering going in for my second fill but was worried because I have really too much restriction at times and now I know for a fact that I will not go in yet and will use the band better. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is good to know. Have a great night. Natalie

Good post, Arlene. I was actually considering a fill for October but am having 2nd thoughts now. I will keep my appointment, I think, but really evaluate between now and then on whether I REALLY need one or not. Thanks.

AMEN for your post Arlene!!! I have said this same thing a number of times on here and it seems NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR IT!

Dr. Ortiz told me the same thing and I intend to lose this weight with only 1-2 fills. I have lost almost 40 lbs with just the surgery and 1 fill and I still have restriction and do not plan to get another fill for quite some time.

On another note, glad you are well and that your band is still intact!!

I think I may have posted about this before.... if so, forgive my duplication.

I met a gal at a fill center a few months back who lost about 80 lbs. with the band and has only about 10 more pounds to her goal weight - she looked good! (side note: she said she did this without excercising!!!!!).. anyway ....

She told me that she had a fill and three months after the fill she had to have an emergency unfill. She was given no explanation as to why. Think about it. If she was good for three months with the fill, why would she need an emergency unfill? She said it was awful and she ended up with a huge emergency room bill. Also said that knowing what she knows now, she would have driven to Moultrie for an unfill.

The band is a mystery to me.

OHHHHH and also we met a gal who said she stretched her pouch and got it back in shape :) We saw photos!