Bad Boy /Good Boy

tombourn

The good boy has lost 27 pounds ( 12 post-op ), the bad boy has eaten what would be described as mushie foods more so than liquid.

Does or did anyone else not have one iota of a restriction or could they too eat/ drink without becoming full. At leasty I can exercise now, to help keep my mind off food..

Tom

The good boy has lost 27 pounds ( 12 post-op ), the bad boy has eaten what would be described as mushie foods more so than liquid.

Does or did anyone else not have one iota of a restriction or could they too eat/ drink without becoming full. At leasty I can exercise now, to help keep my mind off food..

Tom

Howdy Tom!

I would like to say that I dont have restriction but I very much have it since the surgery. (As you are of from PM)

I like to bake and cook since I cant eat it... that way I smell it so much that I dont have a desire to eat it plus I like to watch others get the calories rather than me.

as you get farther from your surgery date and closer to that 6 week post-surgery mark - you will notice you have little restriction. What that means is that you are healing well from surgery! Your stomach is recovering from surgery and the swelling has gone down. Just watch what you are eating and make your first fill appointment right around 6 weeks. I waited until 7 weeks post op because I'm a sweller! I really wanted to be completely healed prior to that first fill.

Remember... don't see how much you can eat with the band, see how little you can eat and still be satisfied. :)

Lori,

Great advise. The problem is coming off the post-op diet your idea of alot of food is skewed. I ate a bowl of tortilla soup at a restaurant with my wife and sister-in-law ( and a few 4-5 chips) and I thought I had ate too much and damaged my pouch, then I realized, I wasn't feeling stuffed like I had before when I ate at that restaurant. I had mostly liquid and I chewed the hell out of the chips and chicken pieces, so I doubt I did any damage...Didn't feel any pain, didn't "normal" burp or belch..so it was just my perception and paranoia kicking in.

I went back to liqid today, not because of any pain or problen , just feeling guilty about eating good food yesterday :)

Tom

Hi folks, I'm new to the forums, and didn't want to make a new thread about this.

So anyways, I'm 17 and I just got banded on Sept. 14th (1 week ago today :)), and I've been sticking to the diet my surgeon and dietician told me to follow, except today I had some mashed potatoes. Didn't feel any discomfort or pain, just a little full. I've decided to not do that again just for safety sake. I am eating jello/pudding though, and have been since the 4th day. Is that okay? I've talked to other patients banded by the same surgeon and my aunt who also had it done, they said they did the exact same with no problem. Should I go back to clear liquids?

Hi folks, I'm new to the forums, and didn't want to make a new thread about this.

So anyways, I'm 17 and I just got banded on Sept. 14th (1 week ago today :)), and I've been sticking to the diet my surgeon and dietician told me to follow, except today I had some mashed potatoes. Didn't feel any discomfort or pain, just a little full. I've decided to not do that again just for safety sake. I am eating jello/pudding though, and have been since the 4th day. Is that okay? I've talked to other patients banded by the same surgeon and my aunt who also had it done, they said they did the exact same with no problem. Should I go back to clear liquids?

JUST STICK TO WHAT YOUR DR HAS TOLD YOU TO DO AND FOLLOW THAT TO A TEE, SINCE EVERY DR IS DIFFERENT

CONGRATULATIONS ON TAKING HEALTH MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS SO EARLY :)

JUST STICK TO WHAT YOUR DR HAS TOLD YOU TO DO AND FOLLOW THAT TO A TEE, SINCE EVERY DR IS DIFFERENT

CONGRATULATIONS ON TAKING HEALTH MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS SO EARLY :)

First it would be nice to have some mashed potatoes right now... but come on really 3 weeks of following a diet isnt going to kill you! You will be able to eat things like that for the rest of your life. And Doctors dont tell you to do something just to make you suffer they tell us things so we can become well and healthy! I will admit following clear liquids is hard at times but I know in my heart and mind that Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Miranda want the best for me and each one of there patients so lets just stick to a clear liquid diet we can do it I know we "ALL" can.

Teeners

Just talk to the "chicken lady" who thought it was okay to have just a tiny bite of chicken 4 days out and her band slipped! True, one tiny bite of mashed potatoes is not going to kill you, but make sure that doesn't turn into "one bowl of clam chowder" or "one piece of turkey." One of those tiny bites could be the bite that lands you back in surgery.

Surgeons plan out the post-op diet for very specific reasons - not just to watch us suffer through clear liquids.

First, every doctor has a different diet plan post-op. Go with what your doctor says. No reason to do anything different. You're paying a lot of money for professional diet help. Do what your doc says.

Second, your lack of restriction is standard leading up to your first fill. Everyone has it. I didn't lose any weight for a week or two prior to my fill. I got the fill, then it made all the difference in the world. I had to re-learn how to eat, and the band really started working for me. If I don't take it slow, then I'm in a world of hurt. But that doesn't happen until you get a fill. Have realistic expectations for it.

I was also very fortunate. I got my first fill a lot earlier than Ortiz's patients, which helped a lot. I wouldn't worry too much if you don't lose much weight pre-fill. After your fill, if you still don't lose weight, then be concerned.

Also, I'm noticing a lot of Ortiz patients having lots of trouble with the VG band. Seeing a LOT more complaints and they seem to correlate with an increase in use of a VG band. I would ask seriously about which band you're getting!

I don't think the VG band is so much the problem. I am seeing lots of patients who are losing weight with a VG band. The band is larger because some of us are larger. Dr. Ortiz uses the band that is best and SAFEST for the patient. The reason people complain is because they expect and want a quick fix. This band takes more fills to find a "sweet spot". One must always remain realistic or dissapointment is a given. The option for which band you receive is up to the Drs. and not the patient. People should not be discouraged if they receive a VG band. Just know that it takes more fills. With proper knowledge it is just as effecive as the older versions. Nita

• 3 weeks later...

what does it mean when your bands slips and how do you know. I had my surgery 11 days ago and it seems like all is well,but I am confused on the diet. Is it only broth and tomato soup or is it any soup. How much of the protein shakes do I drink. I know it says 30g. Can someone tell me what their daily diet consost of into the second week. Thanks

Mandy

what does it mean when your bands slips and how do you know. I had my surgery 11 days ago and it seems like all is well,but I am confused on the diet. Is it only broth and tomato soup or is it any soup. How much of the protein shakes do I drink. I know it says 30g. Can someone tell me what their daily diet consost of into the second week. Thanks

Mandy

Hi Mandy:

I am 10 days post op and in my second week. I was a bit confused too as what to eat this week. I emailed Dr. Miranda just to verify what all we could eat and she said anything that goes up a straw :) So, I mostly have been having broth, tomato soup, drinkable yogurt, tea, and water. I also added the protein shake in the morning which is 30grams of protein--that is my normal morning breakfast so it felt good to have it. My birthday was the other day and I had about a cup of a chocolate milkshake (something I never do). Let me just say it did not stay with me very long if you know what I mean.

Well, good luck to you,

Deb

Hi Deb,

I am eating a lot of different kinds of soup. MOstly cream of anything, I have a Magic bullet and I put it in there and whirl away .. if it's to thick I add some chicken or beef broth and make it a little more liquified.

Another good thing is won ton soup without the won tons..

My problem is that I am eating more than a half a cup at a time... How are you doing with that?? Are we still suppose to be only doing a half a cup at a time??

I feel full on about a cup but then I"m hungry again in an hour or so.

I emailed Dr Miranda but never heard back.

What type of protein shakes are you doing to get so much protein at one time??? I'm finding it difficult to get 30 Gms in a day.

I lost 8 pounds the first week post op but now I'm fluctuating with the next 2 pounds over the past few day and I don't know if it's because of the creamy soups or what. Other than the soups I'm not eating much else except for a drinkable yogurt and whipped yogurt...

I use to be a VERY addicted diet coke. diet soda drinker..but the other day I found sugar free Diet Pepper, Diet A&W rootbeet and Diet Orange Crush flavored popsicles...

Have you heard from Paige or Alison or the other Peggy and how they are doing?

Take care.

I made an appointment for my firat fill for 11/10 which will be 6 weeks and a day since surgery...

Peggy from Fl.

PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Hi Deb,

I am eating a lot of different kinds of soup. MOstly cream of anything, I have a Magic bullet and I put it in there and whirl away .. if it's to thick I add some chicken or beef broth and make it a little more liquified.

Another good thing is won ton soup without the won tons..

My problem is that I am eating more than a half a cup at a time... How are you doing with that?? Are we still suppose to be only doing a half a cup at a time??

I feel full on about a cup but then I"m hungry again in an hour or so.

I emailed Dr Miranda but never heard back.

What type of protein shakes are you doing to get so much protein at one time??? I'm finding it difficult to get 30 Gms in a day.

I lost 8 pounds the first week post op but now I'm fluctuating with the next 2 pounds over the past few day and I don't know if it's because of the creamy soups or what. Other than the soups I'm not eating much else except for a drinkable yogurt and whipped yogurt...

I use to be a VERY addicted diet coke. diet soda drinker..but the other day I found sugar free Diet Pepper, Diet A&W rootbeet and Diet Orange Crush flavored popsicles...

Have you heard from Paige or Alison or the other Peggy and how they are doing?

Take care.

I made an appointment for my firat fill for 11/10 which will be 6 weeks and a day since surgery...

Peggy from Fl.

PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Hi Peggy:

Nice to hear from you, no I have never heard from Allison, and Paige a couple of times but not for awhile. I am not sure about the other Peggy, I think she posted a couple of times when we first got home.

You know I drink about 1 cup at a time too. I have been having broth, drinkable yogurt, protein shakes from Nutriharmony with 27 grams per serving, juice, hot chocolate, and popsicles. It sounds like a lot of food, how come it does not feel like it? We are distributors with Nutriharmony where we get our vitamins and meal replacements. We have been doing meal replacements for years, if you want the info, I will email to you. I have the meal replacement for breakfast (and lunch sometimes) which gives me 27-54 grams of protein for my day.

I have lost 15 lbs so far, but nothing for the last few days. I am going to start counting calories, I have a feeling it is adding up to more calories than it feels. Exercise can not begin for another 10 days or so.

I have not made my appointment for my fill yet. I can not decide when I should do it. I want to make sure everything is healed before I go. Seven weeks is the week before Thanksgiving, 8 weeks is Thanksgiving ans traveling will not work for me. So, I am actually thinking about the week after Thanksgiving, which will be 9 weeks.

Keep in touch,

Deb :)

Hi Peggy:

Nice to hear from you, no I have never heard from Allison, and Paige a couple of times but not for awhile. I am not sure about the other Peggy, I think she posted a couple of times when we first got home.

You know I drink about 1 cup at a time too. I have been having broth, drinkable yogurt, protein shakes from Nutriharmony with 27 grams per serving, juice, hot chocolate, and popsicles. It sounds like a lot of food, how come it does not feel like it? We are distributors with Nutriharmony where we get our vitamins and meal replacements. We have been doing meal replacements for years, if you want the info, I will email to you. I have the meal replacement for breakfast (and lunch sometimes) which gives me 27-54 grams of protein for my day.

I have lost 15 lbs so far, but nothing for the last few days. I am going to start counting calories, I have a feeling it is adding up to more calories than it feels. Exercise can not begin for another 10 days or so.

I have not made my appointment for my fill yet. I can not decide when I should do it. I want to make sure everything is healed before I go. Seven weeks is the week before Thanksgiving, 8 weeks is Thanksgiving ans traveling will not work for me. So, I am actually thinking about the week after Thanksgiving, which will be 9 weeks.

Keep in touch,

Deb :)

Hi Deb and Peggy - I have been so busy I haven posted in a while. Deb I hope everything was ok with your port. I am feeling great! I am down 15lbs and I cannot wait to have some real food!!! I am sick of soups and shakes!! I think I will go for my fill sometime in early December. Sounds like everyone is doing well.

Hope to hear from you soon. Paige

Hi Deb and Paige,

I haven't been here for a while, just got back from visiting my grandchildren.

How are you all doing?

Wasn't it wonderful to be able to start eating real food again???

I am doing fine here and just love the band..

I have lost a total of about 25 lbs. since pre op diet and about 14 since surgery.It all depends on the time of day and how much clothes I have on when I get weighed... but I can certainly tell by my clothes.

I am scheduled for my first fill in TJ on 11/10..

Keep up the great work and hope to talk with you all again soon.

Peggy in Fl