So I guess my goal weight is too low...

Last week I during my 1st meeting with my trainer she did the body fat pinch test, she took 3 readings each time on 6 parts of my body... Today she gave emailed me a printout with the results and it was very interesting!!

Total Weight (on 9/10): 172

Total Lean Mass: 134 lbs

(Lean Mass= Muscles, Bones, Organs and Water. An adult woman should have 90 to 110lbs of lean mass if inactive, more if she works out)

Total Fat Mass: 38 lbs

(Fat Mass= pounds of fat you are currently carrying)

Total Body Fat Percentage: 22%

(A reccomended body fat range for general fitness is 20%-30% for women, athletic fitness can be enhanced by by maintaining lower body fat levels about 17%-25%... Health can be compromised if a woman's body fat % drops under 14%.

Your Goal Weight: 147lbs

If you maintain the 134lbs of lean mass (or add more) you would only have 13lbs of fat making your body fat% only 8% which is virtually unattainable (unless you are Michael Phelps) and you would stop ovulating and risk other health problems.

If we instead look at a Optimal body fat percentage of 17%-19% then your goal weight should be in the range of 163lbs - 167lbs. At 167lbs and 19% body fat you would have 32lbs of fat and 135lbs of lean mass.

So basically she is saying I can't get under 163 without burning muscle or having my kidneys or bones removed?? I am seeing her on Thursday so I guess I will ask her to explain it more, she herself is my height and is 150lbs and a size 0 but I don't think I want to be as muscular as she is... Not sure what to think about all this, it's kind of a bummer but I guess because I got so heavy my bones and muscles had to grow to support all the weight and now I can't get back down to that low of a weight, but I guess if I can get into a size 4 or 6 and still be in the 160's I won't be complaining!?!

Any thoughts?

Well gosh Michelle! Look at it this way...you will have less to lose before goal!

One of my daughters is a personal trainer and they truly do take all of this stuff to the extreme. I don't mean this in a bad way, but have her explain it more to you so that it's more understandable. I'm really proud of you...you look just wonderful! ;)

Interesting! I'd say that's good news. I've looked at your pics and wondered if you really need to lose another 25 pounds.

That said, I'm pretty sure that as you lose excess fat your lean body mass goes down a bit as well. I think if nothing else you have less blood coursing through your body, less water weight, etc. So maybe you'll be able to lose a bit more than she suggested without sacrificing muscle and bone.

Just see how it goes - you'll know if you still have excess fat to get rid of or not. Of course you may have some slightly loose skin too, which can make it look like you have excess fat when you don't. But you're young, hopefully you're fine in that dept - you look great in your pics anyway!

I just started to watch this weeks episode of "The Biggest Loser" and last year's winner Ali had a starting weight of 234lbs and a final weight of 122lbs and she was totally muscular like my trainer, so maybe it is possible to get down lower than 160... Of course I don't have that small of a frame so who knows??

Last week I during my 1st meeting with my trainer she did the body fat pinch test, she took 3 readings each time on 6 parts of my body... Today she gave emailed me a printout with the results and it was very interesting!!

(Lean Mass= Muscles, Bones, Organs and Water. An adult woman should have 90 to 110lbs of lean mass if inactive, more if she works out)

(A reccomended body fat range for general fitness is 20%-30% for women, athletic fitness can be enhanced by by maintaining lower body fat levels about 17%-25%... Health can be compromised if a woman's body fat % drops under 14%.

If you maintain the 134lbs of lean mass (or add more) you would only have 13lbs of fat making your body fat% only 8% which is virtually unattainable (unless you are Michael Phelps) and you would stop ovulating and risk other health problems.

If we instead look at a Optimal body fat percentage of 17%-19% then your goal weight should be in the range of 163lbs - 167lbs. At 167lbs and 19% body fat you would have 32lbs of fat and 135lbs of lean mass.

So basically she is saying I can't get under 163 without burning muscle or having my kidneys or bones removed?? I am seeing her on Thursday so I guess I will ask her to explain it more, she herself is my height and is 150lbs and a size 0 but I don't think I want to be as muscular as she is... Not sure what to think about all this, it's kind of a bummer but I guess because I got so heavy my bones and muscles had to grow to support all the weight and now I can't get back down to that low of a weight, but I guess if I can get into a size 4 or 6 and still be in the 160's I won't be complaining!?!

Any thoughts?

Hi Mama Michelle,

I am the same height as you (though 10 years older) and so my goal weight was about the same (145) because I wanted to be in the 'normal' bmi range. I am currently 162 and definitely NOT just skin and bones (size 10) so I have to wonder if the trainer's suggested goal weight is on the ball. I think it is healthy to be more focused on a size than a weight because as you mentioned, who will complain with a size 4 no matter what one's weight is. Let us know what else your trainer says as I am really curious about this. You look great by the way, all your hard work has paid off.

Hi Michelle

Its funny you should say this as I have had many comments of "you can't have 25lbs to lose. you'll be skin and bone".

I know I would be happy if I didn't lose another lb but my BMI is still 27 so I would like to get it to a healthier number 23???

I don't mind what I weigh to acheive this. So we'll see.

You look a feel fantastic I know.

My fill doctor in maryland explained it to me this way..........the LONGER you are fat, the more your muscle and bones weigh. They need to gain weight to match the fat weight you gain to be able to hold your body up. But, when you lose fat weight, you do not lose bone or muscle weight so that is why fat people never ever are able to get back down to their original skinny size. That is, if you have been heavy for a long time. Because, although you may loe all your fat, you can't lose the bone and muscle weight you gained.

I agree with momonamission...we all have a number goal in mind, mine is 140, my surgeon's is 150...when I get there I will know what's right for me.

Agreed...that is why I haven't set a final weight goal yet. If I am going to get to where my BMI says I should be, I have to be between like 119 and 124 - What!!?? There is just NO way I will ever be that small. But I figure i'm going to do a first goal of 150 and then after that once I hit where I should be I will know.

Guest CaraMBA09

Any thoughts?

Hmmm. My friend since 6th grade is a personal trainer with her Masters in Health Kinesciology (sp?)...encouraging you to carry around "32 lbs" of fat on top of your lean mass seems high. I remember Danielle saying around 15-25 is just as healthy. But I will ask her again. How tall are you? Listen to your body...if you respond well to going at the lower weight without dizziness or illness, you should be okay. 147 lbs as a goal weight is very reasonable. What is your PT's credentials?

that is awesome you have gotten yourself a PT! way to take the bull by the horns.

I know what you are saying. The fill Dr. I went to in New Orleans told me that with my large frame he couldn't see me getting below 150 and looking healthy, but my crazy fill Dr. here in MS has me at a goal weight of 137. I am trying not to consume myself with a number, but rather at how I feel good and look good!