restriction before first fill???

Okay, I have 3 days until I am done with post op and can eat regular food again. But honestly I can't imagine eating solid foods because I have restriction already. I get that full feeling on a pretty small amount of soup or pudding. I thought these things went right through the band? I have heard of people describe bandster hell saying they can eat anything and everything they want, but I already know that I cannot. If I feel full on soup, I would think a few bites of solid foods will really make me full.

Am I just feeling restriction because I am still healing. I am just wondering if others felt restriction during those 3 weeks of post op and if it just suddenly goes away and that's when the bandster hell starts. I have heard people say that they are starving during this time. I am not. I drink a protein drink in the morning and then eat either soup or pudding in the afternoon. That's it, except for water or diluted juice and occassional fudgecicle. And I don't feel deprived or hungry. My calorie intake is about 600 calories per day and I can't imagine eating more at this point.

By the way, I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks, so I don't know what I have lost during post op yet and therefore have not updated my signature. It started my period during this time and figured that would affect the scale so I just have chosen not to weigh again until that's done and post op is over.

Hi Jessica,

I am so happy things are going well. I had restriction for about 7 weeks post op, I found out later that my surgeon had put in 3cc in my 9cc band during surgery. Sometimes just the swelling or having the band will provide restriction for awhile. If you have it, bonus!!

Make sure you are getting your vitamins and nutrients, I know it's hard on liquids, but you need to keep up your strength.

Good Luck Babe!

Hello there...I did have restriction from the surgery also without a fill. I could not eat much at all. I was amazed!!! It was awesome and I took advantage of it. I lost 25 lbs before I ever went in for my first fill. I have only had one fill so far and have SO much restriction. I can't imagine getting another fill. I have lost 45 lbs total, so I guess it is working for sure. It sounds like your band will be the same as mine. I feel lucky to have so much restriction already. It seems like the pounds will just start falling off you. How exciting!!! Keep us posted on your success. We love to cheer you on!!! Good luck and have a great day!!!! Natalie

Hello there...I did have restriction from the surgery also without a fill. I could not eat much at all. I was amazed!!! It was awesome and I took advantage of it. I lost 25 lbs before I ever went in for my first fill. I have only had one fill so far and have SO much restriction. I can't imagine getting another fill. I have lost 45 lbs total, so I guess it is working for sure. It sounds like your band will be the same as mine. I feel lucky to have so much restriction already. It seems like the pounds will just start falling off you. How exciting!!! Keep us posted on your success. We love to cheer you on!!! Good luck and have a great day!!!! Natalie

Hey that would be great if my band was just like yours. Here's hoping that it is. But I would say your situation is rare and I don't want to expect that, but I will certainly hope. Can't wait to weigh myself and see if there has been good weight loss during post op. Man how nice to only need one fill. Thanks for the response it really helped.

Hi Jessica,

I am so happy things are going well. I had restriction for about 7 weeks post op, I found out later that my surgeon had put in 3cc in my 9cc band during surgery. Sometimes just the swelling or having the band will provide restriction for awhile. If you have it, bonus!!

Make sure you are getting your vitamins and nutrients, I know it's hard on liquids, but you need to keep up your strength.

Good Luck Babe!

Cathy, you are doing awesome by the way. It seems like your weight loss number gets higher every time I get on the computer.

I honestly forgot about the vitamins. OOPS!!! I haven't felt weak or dizzy or anything. Like Heidi said about her experience getting banded, mine did not start off good either. I felt horrible and thought I had made a mistake. But within a short time I started feeling better and now I feel great. I can still feel that I am healing, but I feel great. So I know you mentioned doing the B12 dissolve strips, but should I be taking all vitamins in liquid or dissolve form? Can I take the pills and just break them up? What vitamins should I be taking? Just a multi or other stuff as well? By the way, I agree, if this restriction last, then it's a great bonus and I will enjoy it as long as I can. May even re-schedule my first fill if everything is going well. Thanks a bunch

Cathy, you are doing awesome by the way. It seems like your weight loss number gets higher every time I get on the computer.

I honestly forgot about the vitamins. OOPS!!! I haven't felt weak or dizzy or anything. Like Heidi said about her experience getting banded, mine did not start off good either. I felt horrible and thought I had made a mistake. But within a short time I started feeling better and now I feel great. I can still feel that I am healing, but I feel great. So I know you mentioned doing the B12 dissolve strips, but should I be taking all vitamins in liquid or dissolve form? Can I take the pills and just break them up? What vitamins should I be taking? Just a multi or other stuff as well? By the way, I agree, if this restriction last, then it's a great bonus and I will enjoy it as long as I can. May even re-schedule my first fill if everything is going well. Thanks a bunch

Hi Jessica, I take Centrum Multi-Vitamin Chewables 2 per day, a disolvable B12 strip and 2 Biotin pills (small enough to swallow whole).

Don't forget to take them, you don't get enough vitamins from food...and don't want to get sick.

Thanks for noticing my weight loss too....it gets easier and having good restriction makes it easy!!

Hi Jessica, I take Centrum Multi-Vitamin Chewables 2 per day, a disolvable B12 strip and 2 Biotin pills (small enough to swallow whole).

Don't forget to take them, you don't get enough vitamins from food...and don't want to get sick.

Thanks for noticing my weight loss too....it gets easier and having good restriction makes it easy!!

What are biotin pills? And do I need to go to a doctor to get the B12 strips? Thanks!

Guest CaraMBA09
What are biotin pills? And do I need to go to a doctor to get the B12 strips? Thanks!

hey

I dont know how tall you are, but apparently taller people will get restriction without their first fill. OCC said they may not need the first fill for the first few months..! Your tummy could also be swollen.

I just want the bloating to go away! ugh

C

Hi Jessica,

I know exactly what you mean because I feel the same way. I am actually afraid to start eating because I don't want to get anything "stuck." I get full with just a small amount of soup. I am glad you asked this because I have wondered too. Maybe the day we had our bands they did something magic to us...lol

The worst part for me has been the 2nd surgery I had last week (on my knee) and it has been slow going. Probably when you get on the scales you will have lost like 20#! ;)

I go in for my first fill on Monday. I can't say that I have restriction, but I definitely do not eat as much as I did, no snacking, and I have had a few things stuck. I haven't PB'd yet though. Last week was my "time of the month" and I was just certain that over the last 10 days I had gained at least 5 pounds. Turns out it was water retention and whatever because when I stepped on the scale I had actually lost a couple pounds from the last time I weighed! I was SSSOOOO happy! So yeah, I guess I do have "restriction" but I still feel like I can eat a fair amount. Not as much as before the band, but more than I probably should. I cannot wait until Monday though!

I had really good restriction from the band alone for about 6-8 weeks..then all of a sudden it was gone.

Hi Jessica,

I know exactly what you mean because I feel the same way. I am actually afraid to start eating because I don't want to get anything "stuck." I get full with just a small amount of soup. I am glad you asked this because I have wondered too. Maybe the day we had our bands they did something magic to us...lol

The worst part for me has been the 2nd surgery I had last week (on my knee) and it has been slow going. Probably when you get on the scales you will have lost like 20#! ;)

Hey that would be great if we were there on "magic band day" right!!! But hearing that you feel the same way, tells me that this restriction will probably go away soon. I am guessing that after nearly 3 weeks we must still have swelling and that is what is causing the restriction. I guess I will enjoy it for as long as I can and hope that it lasts.

I think the slow weight loss for you is likely due to the second surgery. That's all the more fluid they pump into your body and with your body trying to heal, I think it's tough for it to let go of extra pounds. I bet as the weeks go by and your body is healed, you will see the pounds come off a little quicker. Although I think losing 6 pounds in 3 weeks is good. That's still 2 pounds a week, so your right on target there. But I know how you feel. We all want that surprise on the scale and to see bigger numbers faster. Your doing awesome and thats what counts. I don't think I will see 20 pounds or even 10 lost when I weigh myself in a few days. Although that would be fabulous. I guess we will see when the PMS clears and I can finally check the scale.

I had really good restriction from the band alone for about 6-8 weeks..then all of a sudden it was gone.

Kim, this was exactly what I was wondering. I know I have some restriction, but knew it wouldn't last. So your saying that you basically wake up one day and can eat more. I just want to prepare myself for that. It seems really bizarre, this whole restriction thing. Coming and going with no explanation. I guess it's something I will need to get used to. Thanks a bunch.

hey

I dont know how tall you are, but apparently taller people will get restriction without their first fill. OCC said they may not need the first fill for the first few months..! Your tummy could also be swollen.

I just want the bloating to go away! ugh

C

Well hey, there you go! Thats why I have no restriction yet, I am only 5'2" and have a really fat belly! But not for long!

Hi Jessica,

I use to eat very big meals stuffing myself and now on day 7 of post opt my daily diet consists of:

• cup of black coffee
  • dannon light yogurt drink

• 1 cup ea of homemade cream tomato soup for lunch and dinner
  • maybe a sugarfee lifesaver popsicle

I feel satisfied, but I am sure I could probably eat some more if I wasnt afraid something bad might occur meaning suffering physicially. Its probably a combo of the band swelling still and determination to eat less but I doing good. However, it kills me know when I watch tv-even the shows have people in them eating burgers and pizza; I knew the commercials were overkill but never really noticed before how much food is pushed on TV. No wonder America is overweight.... Food for thought... LOL

Cheers,

Tara

Yes, I just noticed that after the swelling was gone I had no more restriction. I just now (at 2.3cc's) feel the type of restriction I felt in the weeks following my surgery!