Carbonated Drinks

Maverick

I have only recently begun my research on Lapband surgery as I am considering this option in the near future.

I drink a LOT of diet Dr Peppers each day and was wondering if this would be a permanent no-no after lapband surgery.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

For your best chance of success with the band this is a no-no. Of course you may get different opinions from different people but I think it is best to follow your Drs. advice. Nita

Mike,

For your best chance of success with the band this is a no-no. Of course you may get different opinions from different people but I think it is best to follow your Drs. advice. Nita

Thanks for the quick reply!

Pardon my ignorance, but how does drinking a diet carbonated drink reduce my chance of success for losing weight with the band?

Two things. First, carbonation fills you up, and you should be filling up on water. Second, the carbonation can be painful and can cause the band to slip.

I drank a six pack a day of diet coke pre-band. I've switched to Crystal Light, and frankly never miss the diet coke. I thought it was going to be a big problem, but I don't miss the carbonation or the caffine.

Mike, if you look you will find a link on this topic. It is a big source of debate. We have been told different things. I drank 6 to 8 sodas a day and thought it would kill me. I did drink a soda about 3 months after my surgery and althought it did not hurt me physically it did not taste as good as it use to. Maybe it was because I knew I should not be drinking it. Call Dr Miranda for the definate answer if you are not sure about all of the responses you get

good luck

Chrissy

• 4 weeks later...

Pre-surgery, I tried doing a swish-swish of a little soda.

Like gargling and swishing to take out carbonation.

Seemed ok. Too early to test with band for me.

I also like to "flatten" carbonated drinks for the next day.

I am of the school that says a little bit of anything is ok.

Just a little bit, though, to take the craving away.

Pre-surgery, I tried doing a swish-swish of a little soda.

Like gargling and swishing to take out carbonation.

Seemed ok. Too early to test with band for me.

I also like to "flatten" carbonated drinks for the next day.

I am of the school that says a little bit of anything is ok.

Just a little bit, though, to take the craving away.

Here is my experience with soda carbonation: often times I only drink 1/2 of a soda (I am pre-op; surgery Nov 14th). When the other half is warm, but still carbonated, I place it in the freezer. If the soda totally freezes, when defrosted, there is no carbonation.

Thus-- open a can of diet soda, pour a little out, freeze the rest, then defrost. The defrosted soda will no longer be carbonated. This will only work with an open soda-----the freezing causes the carbon dioxide to escape from the opening. Caution--- trying this with a sealed can or bottle will cause the container to burst. Remember, contents are under pressure, and liquids expand when frozen.

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

I had band surgery on 10-9-06, the doctor suggest not to drink carbonated drinks but if you must, let sit opened 1/2 hour and then drink.

I'm not a big soda drinker but I used to have my Diet Mt. Dew every morning, now I drink the diet Dr. Pepper when I want something different. The sweet carmel taste is thrist quenching. Also over ice helps to weaken the carbonation. I haven't had a problem doing this method. Also I purchased 3 oz. bathroom cups and drink from those. It lets me know how much I'm drinking without measuring or over doing it.

Also when I make pudding, I divide it up into the cups and cover with clear seal. It's ready to eat and measured already.

The easier your right foods are to get to, the more likely you will go the right path.